mikemariano

Fallout 4 — Boston Makes Me Feel Good

It kind of feels like the original design was to not have you get free power armor so early. Some of the NPCs refer to it like it's a rare commodity that you'll have to hunt down. And it seems weird that the game hides partial sets behind mid-difficulty terminals and locks after you've already been given a free set.

Not that I'm complaining, it's a cool piece of gear that I've been using way more than I ever did in 3 or New Vegas.

Interesting, I've only found one half completed suit and one frame for sale after 40 hours. You and one of my buddies online are drowning in that stuff. I wonder if I'm just not eagle-eyed, or haven't been choosing the right sites to loot.

I saw a crashed vertibird sticking out of the water west of that town that administers the SAFE test and decided to see if there was anything cool down there. Found a suit of rusted power-armor just sitting under water next to it. Hopped in and stomped my way out of of the lake and into glory. Parked it at The Castle next to my other 4 suits. You can buy the frames in Diamond City if you like and full suits can often be found near military checkpoints. Main quest gives at least two that I'm aware of, but I'm not to far into it.

I saw a crashed vertibird sticking out of the water west of that town that administers the SAFE test and decided to see if there was anything cool down there. Found a suit of rusted power-armor just sitting under water next to it. Hopped in and stomped my way out of of the lake and into glory. Parked it at The Castle next to my other 4 suits. You can buy the frames in Diamond City if you like and full suits can often be found near military checkpoints. Main quest gives at least two that I'm aware of, but I'm not to far into it.

Last evening I found one crashed Vertibird with a partial suit and also got attacked by a raider in a full suit, so I guess the drought is over. You must be further in the main story line than I am, I've only gotten the early one from main quests.

I too made a basketball court. It's such an intuitive solution to those big clean foundations you get after clearing scrapping a ruined house.

I encountered my first legendary enemy, a botfly. Suitable, as the flying enemies are my bane.

I found my first set of new power armor, slightly north east of the Covenant settlement. And a power core in a sewer north of the settlement-house you can get east of Covenant.

Having great fun exploring the story and world. After securing the Castle, I'm pretty much out of ammo. And with all the crafting, I rarely use caps.

I just met the leader of the Brotherhood of Steel. I told him I thought the Brotherhood were assholes who didn't really care about the Commonwealth. He promoted me to Knight and gave me a suit of power armour.

I like having the armour available early on, it makes sense as a vehicle that you can pull out every now and then. But the way they throw it at you seems like they want the player to feel powerful as soon as possible, which is an awkward fit in an RPG (Where you become powerful by engaging with the game systems and building your character up).

So I spend a shit load of time filling up hangman's alley with a multi story living quarters with heavy defense. The alley is really packed. I have no idea why I did that. It currently has 3 settlers. My sanctuary apparently filled up in the mean time. Need to add beds.

Also, while I was messing with my base at the drive-in some flew over and crashed way in the distance. The crash sites glows in the dark. I'm sure it's

screen-shot-2013-06-06-at-9-27-06-pm.png

I just met the leader of the Brotherhood of Steel. I told him I thought the Brotherhood were assholes who didn't really care about the Commonwealth. He promoted me to Knight and gave me a suit of power armour.

I like having the armour available early on, it makes sense as a vehicle that you can pull out every now and then. But the way they throw it at you seems like they want the player to feel powerful as soon as possible, which is an awkward fit in an RPG (Where you become powerful by engaging with the game systems and building your character up).

I finished the first mission with the Brotherhood, but didn't want to join as I didn't like the idea of getting ordered around, and now with main plot developments I'm not sure what I should do.

So the huge Airship flies over and now I have a second quest to go to the police station and join the Brotherhood. It seems pretty obvious that the game wants me to hang out with them, but I'm worried that it will exclude me from exploring other quest lines, given their attitudes in previous games ranging from grumpy to downright xenophobic. Am I missing something cool by not joining?

Words about factions

You can join any of the factions in the game free of consequence. They won't automatically hate you so feel free to join up. There is a point where you have to choose your side, and the game makes it VERY clear that the other side(s) will not be happy with you after it. I was worried about joining the Brotherhood too after Danse told me I wasn't going to be a mercenary anymore and that I would have to follow his orders but none of that is ever enforced in a gameplay way at all. 

Danse is now farming in his power armor back at Sanctuary. Screw that guy. I put Nick into one of my spare suits of power armor and we stomp around the Commonwealth as the Unstoppable Double Robot Death Duo 

Oh and that second set of power armor I mentioned was actually from joining  the Brotherhood, don't know if it counts but it felt like the "Main Plot" to me.

I finally reached Diamond City. As I was exploring the market, suddenly the sky turned all Fallout 3 (greenish yellow) and there was lightning. Although I took radiation damage from the lightning, this was the first time I felt completely safe in the game, within those city walls. Man, the atmosphere in this game is great.

A friend of mine wanted to see how the game looks like in action, so I streamed a couple of hours of gameplay in Steam Broadcast (which was surprisingly painless, by the way). I changed my playstyle a bit to make the stream more watchable – i.e. I switched between weapons more, was less organized when wandering around, and most importantly did not obsessively comb through every large indoor area I came across on my way to the next waypoint – and I ended up enjoying the gameplay quite a bit more myself. I think from now on, I will focus less on exploring each building I happen upon (as they often seem quite dull, and with my playstyle, take forever to clear) and instead concentrate on exploring the wasteland itself and completing the missions. I might have to consult an online map to see that I don't miss too many bobbleheads, magazines and rare weapons, though.

I still have no idea how to approach base building. I don't know what is the point of it, how things are supposed to turn out, how much time and resources I should invest in it, and what I can gain from it. The tutorial for this part of the game was even worse than the normal gameplay tutorial, and the interface is clearly not optimal for this type of shit. Like, I barely know how to assign settlers to specific roles (and that only because I looked it up on the internet), and I have no idea if I can check which settlers already have a role assigned to them. Oh, and I only just now learned that I should probably build a radio beacon to attract more settlers? I have something like five, I think.

The mouse and keyboard interface is really um... inefficient in this game. I hope someone is working on a mod to make going through the inventory a bit less of a chore.

Still love this game, though.

Tip on building buildings, go to wood and floor category.  Lay down the floors first then apply the walls of your choice afterward.  This it the most reliable way of getting a workable 'corner' for a structure.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/18/fallout-4-dialogue-option-mod/

A mod that shows what you will actually say in the conversation system.

I have really been enjoying just wandering around downtown following the sound of vertibirds and gunfire. Its a great way to get items and experience crazy gunner v. dog v. super mutant v. brotherhood v. diamond city guard fights.

Major benefits I have seen from the building system:

1) Being able to build your own stores is handy, and the top level ones have a ton of really good and interesting stock

2) Using the flare gun to call in aid is dependent on the number of folks you have near by

3) Artillery strikes

4) Free caps and small aid/junk items from stores, scavenger posts, and farms

5) Loot from cleaning up raider attacks

None of them are really indispensable, but I have enjoyed the building system so far, so I keep playing around with it.

Major benefits I have seen from the building system:

1) Being able to build your own stores is handy, and the top level ones have a ton of really good and interesting stock

2) Using the flare gun to call in aid is dependent on the number of folks you have near by

3) Artillery strikes

4) Free caps and small aid/junk items from stores, scavenger posts, and farms

5) Loot from cleaning up raider attacks

None of them are really indispensable, but I have enjoyed the building system so far, so I keep playing around with it.

I am trying to figure out a good way to keep people out of the house i built for myself, I want to be able to sleep in my own bed.

I am trying to figure out a good way to keep people out of the house i built for myself, I want to be able to sleep in my own bed.

You can assign each person to a bed and it works most of the time, but every time a new person shows up they're gonna sleep in your bed again until you assign them one.

You can assign each person to a bed and it works most of the time, but every time a new person shows up they're gonna sleep in your bed again until you assign them one.

My current plan is to build an entrance that requires jumping, or block off a door somehow

I have a feeling that it has to do with your character level. I seemed to hit some break point earlier this week where Raiders got much more aggressive, had power suits and combat armor, and I also had my first raider attack shortly after.

To grow a settlement, you need to have a recruitment beacon active, and have more food and water than necessary to sustain your population. Note, that food actually has to be worked by someone. It's not enough to have 20 farm plots if your numbers only say you're getting 6 food.

As soon as I realized how useful supply lines were, I dumped a ton of food, water, beds, a recruitment beacon, and 3-4 machine gun turrets into the connected settlements. I already had at least a dozen people at the drive-in so they were my supply chain hub. My population of Fallout Peons has exploded. I kept wondering why Sanctuary Hills never got bigger, and then remembered I'd never put a beacon there (partially because Marcy was all "DON'T TELL ANYONE DAMMIT").

I just moved the majority of my items to the Drive-In since it's become the place that I've done the most building at, and it doesn't seem as glitchy as Sanctuary, but now I found another building area that's pretty large with a few prefab structures, but with plenty of room to grow, so I might move again. Plus, it's got Mr. Goodfeels.

I was trying to figure out why my main settlement wasn't growing despite having plenty of food/water/beds, then I noticed that the settlement that you have to build a recruitment beacon in for a mission had 8 settlers living there, despite only having 2 beds and no food or water. I don't understand how the system works at all, but I suspect that settlement was snatching up all the new recruits?

I'm pretty fond of the musical radio stations, it's basically the sort of music I listen to normal anyway. 

It'd be interesting if they had a radio station of post-apocalypse rock, raw synth psychobilly stuff. Trickiery to license, or even commission. And probably even trickier to license

. And I guess it could poke a hole in the eternal 1950s conceit.

The first settlement that I really build was at the Red Rocket Gas Station about 20 hours ago. Finally got my first raider attack there and I realized that the '"junk wall" piece I was using for most of my defensive perimeter was the "junk wall gate".
The raiders were able to open up 90% of my protective wall. orz

The Castle is a fortress though. I should take some pictures of it when I get home. Looking forward to the mod that removes the cap on how many items we can place.