mikemariano

Fallout 4 — Boston Makes Me Feel Good

You guys might want to avoid reviews before playing, because thanks to one thoughtless fool, I now know the main plot point before leaving the vault.

I ended up preloading the game on my Xbox, since it's my platform of choice, but hearing about framerate issues has made me a little apprehensive. I'll probably pick it up on Steam on a sale eventually, but I'm hoping it still runs fine on consoles as well.

Ahhh, I'm looking forward to tonight.

Really enjoyed the first five or six hours of this (PS4) given some of the doom and gloom I'd heard over the last week or so (I know I should stop visiting NeoGAF). So far it's Fallout 3 with a stronger start, a load of exciting-looking crafting bits, prettier than I'd expected and probably with less obvious bugs. The framerate is absolutely fine which was my main concern after some of the hyperbole I'd read over the weekend.

The weather is hilariously bad here all week, I'm not back at work until a week tomorrow (it's my birthday!) and I have a new Fallout to piss about with - I might go shamelessly full hermit for the next few days.

Watching the Giant Bomb quick look, and it went from strong feeling that I should get Fallout 4 to absolute certainty that I will own it before unlock at midnight.

Which reviewer wookie?

Lots of reviews talk vague beats, but business insider (tech insider?) just spilled the details.

I've just left the vault, and initial impressions are very good, although lip sycnhing can be tragic. There are some substantial character options, so I spent a good while with those. Time for bed now!

From the GB quick look it looked like a new coat of paint on a fundamentally very old and tired game. But also something I really want. Downloading it as we speak!

Wow, Bethesda really, really doesn't want you to play with a keyboard do they? Non world-movement interfacing is really rough. Using the arrow keys to select things in your settlements is bad and terrible.

Wow, Bethesda really, really doesn't want you to play with a keyboard do they? Non world-movement interfacing is really rough. Using the arrow keys to select things in your settlements is bad and terrible.

i might keep my gamepad plugged in to use for their stupid menus then switch to keyboard for fighting exploration etc 

I've only played for about 45 minutes but so far the game looks and feels good. I am a big fan of being able to loot containers without opening a menu.

Based on my exhausted/excited midnight play session, I literally can't use the mouse when the controller is on.

It's possible that's not true!

i might keep my gamepad plugged in to use for their stupid menus then switch to keyboard for fighting exploration etc 

How funny, as that's the opposite of what I generally do for most games (keep kb/m handy for certain menu stuff and gamepad for actually playing). 

I remember playing Fallout 3 with a controller and trying to pick up a tiny microfusion cell in a pile of garbage was one of the most frustrating things I've ever experienced.  If you can use both mouse and controller it sounds like the Steam controller would be well suited for this game.

Steam Controller also has a joystick mode called "joystick mouse" which makes a joystick act like a mouse and it's fucking magical and feels like a goddamn mouse but to the game it's a joystick and goddamn.

So anyway yeah Steam Controller is great.

Steam Controller also has a joystick mode called "joystick mouse" which makes a joystick act like a mouse and it's fucking magical and feels like a goddamn mouse but to the game it's a joystick and goddamn.

So anyway yeah Steam Controller is great.

I tried using that mode in Arkham Knight.  It's (mostly) fine for looking around but for navigating menus its terrible, especially radial ones.

I haven't played that game but it worked great in the ones I did try (Borderlands, and then a bunch of Telltale games)!

That Guardian review is by Rich Stanton, friend of Crate and Crowbar. He regularly writes for Eurogamer, and is generally pretty good.

Based on my exhausted/excited midnight play session, I literally can't use the mouse when the controller is on.

It's possible that's not true!

As far as I know this is true. My friends online complained that if they even started the game with the controller plugged in, the keyboard was unavailable and there wasn't even an option to switch to it.

An hour after unlock, My first impressions: I didn't realize how much I'd miss Ron Perlman and the traditional old-timey music opening. Also, tons of facial options in a Bethesda game and it's still impossible to make a character that actually looks human. They need to buy whatever facial tech EA uses for Dragon Age and Mass Effect. 

Another physical copy disappointment. It's only a 5GiB install followed by a 20GiB download. Sure, it's not as bad as MGS5 which was just a steam key, or GTA5 for which the servers were overloaded for days (resulting 5GiB download to take more than a day).

The anthology is kind of fun. The nuke is quite large and has a dumb sound you can trigger by pressing a button. It features all full install DVDs of each game (steam releases). And a sleeve to put 2 fallout 4 disc in (even though Fallout 4 only came on 1 disc).

Another physical copy disappointment. It's only a 5GiB install followed by a 20GiB download. Sure, it's not as bad as MGS5 which was just a steam key, or GTA5 for which the servers were overloaded for days (resulting 5GiB download to take more than a day).

The anthology is kind of fun. The nuke is quite large and has a dumb sound you can trigger by pressing a button. It features all full install DVDs of each game (steam releases). And a sleeve to put 2 fallout 4 disc in (even though Fallout 4 only came on 1 disc).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that even with the Steam pre-load, it was only 50% done unpacking after an hour so I ended up going to bed and playing this morning for 30 minutes instead.

in the 20 minutes it took to assemble the Pip Boy and put my phone in it, I broke it twice; once pressing a button on top that immediately fell inside, the fitting my phone in I ripped the crappy phone inserts to hold the phone in place. As expected it's incredibly flimsy and feels cheap.

Also I ran the installer off the CD, which seems to have installed 1/4 of the game, and the rest is downloading over Steam.

in the 20 minutes it took to assemble the Pip Boy and put my phone in it, I broke it twice; once pressing a button on top that immediately fell inside, the fitting my phone in I ripped the crappy phone inserts to hold the phone in place. As expected it's incredibly flimsy and feels cheap.

Also I ran the installer off the CD, which seems to have installed 1/4 of the game, and the rest is downloading over Steam.

I plan on trying an exercise arm band i have for my phone tonight. I hope to replicate the function of the pipboy without the bulk or cheap plastic.