mikemariano

Fallout 4 — Boston Makes Me Feel Good

The trailers focus on artificial intelligence ethics feels like a really weird fit for Fallout to me.

Yeah i hope its just a extension/expansion on that plot from 3. With more shades of grey.

I don't think that was a particularly great trailer on any level, the delivery of the lines, the actual lines themselves, the music, the pacing. Maybe it's a hard game to make a trailer for. However, if I knew nothing about Fallout 4 that trailer wouldn't sell me on it.

Oh, it this same trailer as on the previous page. Anywho, reminded me of how much fun I had in fallout 3

I like the synthetic morality issue for the game, as opposed to a BioWare title like Mass Effect, because it's just simple enough to promise some actual player choice - as the streamlined conversation system and refocused Charisma stat seem increasingly indicative that the game will only follow one narrative path.

However, I'm now incredibly concerned that it's both obvious and subversive to the player experience in a Bethesda game that you're going to turn out to be a synth in a late game twist. It's just too convenient for this to be a major theme of the game and for you to somehow emerge from your vault after two centuries alive and without aging. Suspended animation seems like a useless element to introduce to the story when they could say that Vault 111 was established by the Institute to turn all of its inhabitants into synthetic copies of themselves. Not a fan! Not a fan at all!

I like the synthetic morality issue for the game, as opposed to a BioWare title like Mass Effect, because it's just simple enough to promise some actual player choice - as the streamlined conversation system and refocused Charisma stat seem increasingly indicative that the game will only follow one narrative path.

However, I'm now incredibly concerned that it's both obvious and subversive to the player experience in a Bethesda game that you're going to turn out to be a synth in a late game twist. It's just too convenient for this to be a major theme of the game and for you to somehow emerge from your vault after two centuries alive and without aging. Suspended animation seems like a useless element to introduce to the story when they could say that Vault 111 was established by the Institute to turn all of its inhabitants into synthetic copies of themselves. Not a fan! Not a fan at all!

Oh dang this sounds so likely, dang it.

Yeah, there's a very real danger that the central story will be dumber than ever and harder to ignore.  We'll see!

That's certainly the impression I got from the trailer since it was all about that central story.

My guess is that your character is real but your spouse and child that you will inevitably find (You can customize the faces of both the male and female PCs at the start and I think they said this would influence the way your child looks at E3 so that has to come up somehow) will turn out to be synths. Because in much the same way that no man is a feminist until they have a daughter/wife/sister/mom/grandmother/aunt no one is cool with androids until they have a spouse/child that is one.

Ok that's a bit snarky but I don't come to Bethesda games for the mainplot so I'm really not concerned for the most part. I'm more bored by the fact it's going to be yet another racial parable that doesn't really want to talk about actual races because that's hard.

I think I played Skyrim for 160 hours and never finished the main storyline but I don't remember it being that great. I finished FO3 but after a certain point I basically powered through it, it was only so-so. I'm more interested in all the weird side quests and exploration.

I'm most interested in what the modders do with it, gawd bless 'em. Dissatisfied with literally any aspect of your Bethesda game? There's a mod for that :)

That reminds me of the BioWare RPG template that was going around around a while ago.

Apparently, preloads unlock at 12:01 in local time... any Kiwi thumbs here? I'm not sure when mine will unlock, by hopefully UK time, because my Steam account now charges in pounds since I moved back to the uk.

Reviewers do indeed conclude that Fallout 4 is a Bethesda game.

Reviewers do indeed conclude that Fallout 4 is a Bethesda game.

Good, that's the thing I want. Check every box on the bingo card, even the contradictory ones.

Apparently, preloads unlock at 12:01 in local time... any Kiwi thumbs here? I'm not sure when mine will unlock, by hopefully UK time, because my Steam account now charges in pounds since I moved back to the uk.

I was seriously considering loading up a New Zealand VPN so I could play it today, then I thought about the total value of my Steam account and what I'd be losing if it got banned. Also, I there's all that work I'm supposed to be doing.

When skyrim came out my friend convinced me we could get a local store to break release. He got a toys r us to do it but they wouldn't for me. Then he proceeded to sit on the game and not play it... I was pissed. Spent about 4 hrs driving around like an idiot

Rock Paper Shotgun's Alec Meer

On paper, Fallout 4 isn’t doing a whole lot new, and there’s definitely an argument to be made that the Fallouts are simply the tock to The Elder Scrolls’ tick (to use the terminology applied to iPhone S releases). Despite their many flaws, Oblivion and Skyrim were still experimenting with the possibilities created in Morrowind, but like Fallout 3 before it Fallout 4 only really pushes the ideas forward in terms of themes and guns.

This would be damning, were it not for the fact that Fallout 4 does much of what it does so, so much better than Fallout 3 particularly, but also than Skyrim.

Tradition dictates that I should spend a few paragraphs moaning about how turgid the voice-acting is, how pudding-like the character faces are, how lacklustre the storytelling. And… I’m not going to. I don’t have to. Those things, those ancient Bethesda bugbears, have improved immeasurably. Not completely, but speaking as someone who repeatedly tried to kill Brother Joffrey in Oblivion so I didn’t have to hear his wretched voice again, tried to mute all Fallout 3’s voices to spare myself from lifeless shopkeepers’ dull ‘a traveller, eh?’ utterances and made arrow/knee Skyrim references only as a demonstration of contempt, I simply haven’t seen red in that way during Fallout 4.

This is why I'm fine that it's more, because it's possibly better.

That sounds like pretty much what I want. Fallout 3 different and with less bugs.

or at least new bugs?