mikemariano

Fallout 4 — Boston Makes Me Feel Good

Awesome, I'll look all that junk up. Thanks!

"“The idea is that [the tools] will work on all platforms, but the truth is the system doesn’t exist,” continued Hines. “It’s still being built and worked on and it’s going to take awhile. It’s going to take clearly into next year because we can’t even start it…”"

But will Fallout 4 be playable without the unofficial patch?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/29/fallout-4-mod-tools/

So [insert Remo musical stinger] I've been playing Fallout Shelter.  Despite barely relating to the actual series gameplay, it really makes me want to play Fallout 4, something I'll admit I wasn't particularly excited about before.  I think I'll load up New Vegas again.

Even with my kinda negative experience with Shelter (see the Quitter's Club), it actually did get me jonesing to want and play a Fallout game, either 4 or get around to checking out New Vegas. 

So [insert Remo musical stinger] I've been playing Fallout Shelter.  Despite barely relating to the actual series gameplay, it really makes me want to play Fallout 4, something I'll admit I wasn't particularly excited about before.  I think I'll load up New Vegas again.

Me too.

Bethesda has succeeded wildly.

Even with my kinda negative experience with Shelter (see the Quitter's Club), it actually did get me jonesing to want and play a Fallout game, either 4 or get around to checking out New Vegas. 

Your posts in the quitter's club are part of the reason why I posted in the first place.

I will most likely never play this game or any Fallout games, but the title of this thread cracks me up every time I see it. Thanks Mike.

I will most likely never play this game or any Fallout games, but the title of this thread cracks me up every time I see it. Thanks Mike.

You're welcome!  As a Mac user who doesn't have a console or place to plug one in anymore I will likely never play this game, either.

I'm unsure if I like location-emphasized Fallout, though.  "It's Boston, but it's terrible!" "It's Washington, but it's ruined!"  At least Las Vegas got to be somewhat-normal Vegas, and it was only when you scratched the surface did you see the cannibals and warlords hidden underneath.

The crafting and wider base building stuff have the potential to make the modding side of this even more popular than Skyrim - it's one thing to download a new sword, or quest; but now people are going to be downloading building blocks for weapons/armour/whole settlements which they will then take into their games and, Minecraft style, literally assemble into their own play experience. That's outstandingly well positioned for things like streamers/youtubers. Did they ever confirm if the modding side of it was coming to consoles, and if so how it would work?

I am also both sad and excited to finally be putting Skyrim to bed when this arrives; I've had hundreds of hours out of Skyrim, and even now my dunmer toon is still sitting in some inn with a bulging quest log to finish. It is odd how little compunction I feel to actually "officially" finish the game though, but the side stuff is always better.

I'm kind of hoping that I'll be able to visit my old work place in game. I was in the more Harvard bit of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, near the big old telescope that was the largest in the world some time in the 1800s . It's a couple of miles from the Institute

Oh hey, we do have a Fallout (4) thread.

I got Fallout: New Vegas this past weekend, and immediately discovered why people considered it many tiers above Fallout 3 (which was never a knock on FO3, from my circles of feedback). It just plays much more smoother than FO3 did, especially with wielding guns. I've been plugging in mods, just minor stuff with no crazy overhaul nonsense (my least favorite kind of mods are "let's make this game into this other game" types), and I think I'm settled in on a set. Gameplay-wise I'm altering very little.

- A mod to change (only some sadly) of the VATS-only perks to have bonuses that apply to VATS and out of VATS alike.

- A mod to make skill tagging give +25 instead of +15, like the first two FO games did (but this mod doesn't give the faster leveling of the skills; one does exist!).

- A mod that gives some modern FPS conventions, most notably a grenade button, sprint button (based on AP, which I love because I never use VATS), and the targeting reticule shows the accuracy spread.

- A mod to increase the rate that hunger, dehydration, and lack of sleep set in.

Everything else is aesthetic / cosmetic to the game, no overpowered nonsense like getting a perk every level. Though I guess the weather mod changes things plenty enough. The sandstorms are goddamn bananas, I was actually terrified to head out into the wasteland while one was ongoing. Couldn't see shit!

I'm currently reading about Tale of Two Wastelands and how I can plug that in, get things organized. I never actually finished FO3, and maybe I've seen 25% to 33% of its content? If that, even. In NV I kinda rushed my way to the Strip on the main story because I can't stand not having a house to store stuff in, and man... the Mr. House stuff (especially after you retrieve the chip for him; no spoilers here) is crazy good. But yeah... Really want TTW at this point. That'll be my project tomorrow after work; getting that to work properly along with all the other mods I have. Nothing I have is a direct conflict with TTW and a few are actually supported by some of the TTW community directly.

On the topic of Fallout 4, while poking around about New Vegas info I found out that they're removing the skill system for FO4. Everything is going to be entirely perk based, which sounds pretty crazy to me. I wonder what kind of lessons Bethesda is going to apply from Skyrim and from Obsidian's work with New Vegas. I hope a lot. Namely making food worthwhile. Somehow they missed that lesson with Skyrim from NV.

I wonder what kind of lessons Bethesda is going to apply from Skyrim and from Obsidian's work with New Vegas. I hope a lot. Namely making food worthwhile. Somehow they missed that lesson with Skyrim from NV.

Food in NV wasn't really worthwhile though. I played hardcore and instead of any kind of desperate fight for survival, it just meant I dedicated a couple units of inventory space to water, and a few more to food. I never even had to go out of my way to stay fed, looted food and water kept me going. You could triple the starvation rate and all it would mean is that I'd dedicate 12 units of inventory to food instead of 4, and occasionally I'd stop at a food shop while I was in town. Other than making it obnoxiously difficult to buy food, I'm not sure how the Fallout model can make food relevant, rather than just a tax on your inventory space. I think it's for the best that they moved away from food.

Food in NV wasn't really worthwhile though. I played hardcore and instead of any kind of desperate fight for survival, it just meant I dedicated a couple units of inventory space to water, and a few more to food. I never even had to go out of my way to stay fed, looted food and water kept me going. You could triple the starvation rate and all it would mean is that I'd dedicate 12 units of inventory to food instead of 4, and occasionally I'd stop at a food shop while I was in town. Other than making it obnoxiously difficult to buy food, I'm not sure how the Fallout model can make food relevant, rather than just a tax on your inventory space. I think it's for the best that they moved away from food.

Food in Fallout: New Vegas does actually heal you for a pretty notable amount, is the thing. It's very comparable to using medkits. In 'casual' mode it's harder to tell because medkits are instant, but in 'hardcore' mod both modes of healing become over-time effects. The difference is medkits have no weight to them.

Food in Fallout: New Vegas does actually heal you for a pretty notable amount, is the thing. It's very comparable to using medkits.

Really? My memory is hazy at this point, but I feel like all the food I found healed somewhere between three and seven hitpoints total (other than wonderful, life-giving sasparilla anyway).

Edit: I suppose food was technically useful because each healing source gave you a separate heal over time effect, meaning that a healing stim and five types of food healed you twice as fast as two healing stims, but that seems like some unintended silliness.

Food reads as healing low because it's x amount over y time. Which is what medkits change to in hardcore mode.

Food reads as healing low because it's x amount over y time. Which is what medkits change to in hardcore mode.

I know that, I said total healing. I remember that purified water healed 2 for 5 seconds, for a total of 10, and it felt like water was a better healing item than most of the food I found (not that I ever drank it for healing, worth too many caps).

I liked that my character got hungry and I ate food.

I would set out each day making sure I had enough food to survive in the wasteland.  When I stayed out too long and got tired and ran out of food I would go back to Goodsprings.

In that way Hardcore mode made me roleplay.  HP and caps never came into my way of thinking.

I liked that my character got hungry and I ate food.

I would set out each day making sure I had enough food to survive in the wasteland.  When I stayed out too long and got tired and ran out of food I would go back to Goodsprings.

In that way Hardcore mode made me roleplay.  HP and caps never came into my way of thinking.

I've really been taking to this in video games the last couple years. In Oblivion I wasn't having fun because I was playing it to be like... an efficient player trying to game the game. I need to go back since my playing trend changed. Creating a character - more than the stats, but goals, things loved, things hated, etc - enforces me to make particular decisions while playing. It's just a great feel.

On top of that apparently I'm fun to watch when doing this? I guess I should start streaming.

I know that, I said total healing. I remember that purified water healed 2 for 5 seconds, for a total of 10, and it felt like water was a better healing item than most of the food I found (not that I ever drank it for healing, worth too many caps).

It multiplies much more better than that eventually. Gecko Steak, for example, heals the following amount at each rank of Survival skill:

- Heals 2 HP/second for 15 seconds, -30 Dehydration, -75 Starvation at 0 skill. (30 hp total)

- Heals 4 HP/second for 15 seconds, -60 Dehydration, -150 Starvation at 50 skill. (60 hp total)

- Heals 6 HP/second for 15 seconds, -90 Dehydration, -225 Starvation at 100 skill. (90 hp total)

Considering health hovers around the 200 hp mark for the player character, that's pretty substantial. And again, a healing from food + healing from medkit stack, so you can keep your health up in no time.

As a min-maxer, I think I find it harder to roleplay when the game puts numbers and stats into the mix. I remember in Mass Effect 2 when I had to make a choice about the Geth and in a flash of insight I figured out the War Assets system that would be present in ME3. With that in mind, I couldn't evaluate the narrative choice any more because all I could see was "Choose A to get more War Assets". Any food system in a game like Fallout is going to be a whole bunch of stats that I naturally want to optimize, and "How can I bend this system of numbers to my will?" is the polar opposite of a roleplaying mood.

It multiplies much more better than that eventually. Gecko Steak, for example, heals the following amount at each rank of Survival skill:

- Heals 2 HP/second for 15 seconds, -30 Dehydration, -75 Starvation at 0 skill. (30 hp total)

- Heals 4 HP/second for 15 seconds, -60 Dehydration, -150 Starvation at 50 skill. (60 hp total)
- Heals 6 HP/second for 15 seconds, -90 Dehydration, -225 Starvation at 100 skill. (90 hp total)

Considering health hovers around the 200 hp mark for the player character, that's pretty substantial. And again, a healing from food + healing from medkit stack, so you can keep your health up in no time.

Oh, that'd do it. I never put any points into Survival because as far as I could tell all it did was boost food healing and let me craft more food I didn't need. Survival seemed like a holdover from the oldschool PC RPG days when some of the skills were super important and some barely did anything but cost the same amount of skill points to advance as anything else.