I know I'm a little late here but I wanted to chime in to say that I totally agree with Twig here. The number of shits I give about exclusives is close to zero. I am loving my PS4 because there are a ton of great games to play on it even though most of them are available on other platforms. I like the ecosystem, the trophy system, playing comfortably on my couch, and not having to worry about PC specs or anything like that. When I get around to upgrading my PC I'm sure I'll probably shift more towards PC gaming but even then there will still be a lot of stuff I will play on PS4. In fact, the only time I really prefer PC gaming is when it comes down to graphics. I am a sucker for pretty graphics.

That's all fine, but I imagine it's not a mystery to you why exclusives are the main point of differentiation between platforms for most people. Ultimately the game is (with the exception of bad ports) going to be the game on every platform. Someone playing the Witcher 3 on PS4 is not having a wildly different experience to someone playing the Witcher 3 on Xbox One. On the other hand, someone playing Bloodborne on the PS4 is having a wildly different experience to someone playing Bloodborne on the Xbox One or PC, because the game does not exist on those platforms.

Hence, when you only have the money to own one platform, which games that platform will allow you to play is probably going to top the list of things you care about when choosing.

Everything you say is correct, but that was, unfortunately, not how the argument started. It was more like: Sony's conference was not better than Microsoft's* because most of their announcements were non-exclusives (nevermind that, I'm fairly certain, they announced more exclusives than Microsoft did - unless you count every game in the Rare Collection separately! - or unless you count their backwards compatibility, which is pretty baller). I responded with the idea that consoles shouldn't be exclusively (hehehe) judged by their exclusives.

Then other people jumped in with "but PC!!!!!!!!" which is a whole other can of worms.

*And yeah ranking press conferences is pointless and dumb; I was originally just expressing my cemented excitement for PS4 and continued disinterest in Xbone.

Everything you say is correct, but that was, unfortunately, not how the argument started. It was more like: Sony's conference was not better than Microsoft's* because most of their announcements were non-exclusives (nevermind that, I'm fairly certain, they announced more exclusives than Microsoft did - unless you count every game in the Rare Collection separately! - or unless you count their backwards compatibility, which is pretty baller). I responded with the idea that consoles shouldn't be exclusively (hehehe) judged by their exclusives.

Then other people jumped in with "but PC!!!!!!!!" which is a whole other can of worms.

*And yeah ranking press conferences is pointless and dumb; I was originally just expressing my cemented excitement for PS4 and continued disinterest in Xbone.

According to Amazon UK and social media, Xbox won E3

According to me, none of the platforms made any horrible mistakes and all had new and interesting games. Therefore we all won E3. Feels good.

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but the Xbox conference didn't start horribly late in Euroland, unlike Bethesda, Ubisoft and PlayStation.

The article I linked to doesn't talk about the confs at all.  The metric used was preorders at Amazon.  Except for two (FFVII and Horizon: Zero Dawn) the top 10 were Xbox related.  The social media metric was based on this chart, which was based on Twitter mentions.

E3-Systems-SOV.png

Maybe due to the fact that Microsoft was, at least as far as I know, the only press conference broadcast on TV this year? Weird disparity in numbers! It's gonna be an interesting generation.

The article I linked to doesn't talk about the confs at all.  The metric used was preorders at Amazon.  Except for two (FFVII and Horizon: Zero Dawn) the top 10 were Xbox related.  The social media metric was based on this chart, which was based on Twitter mentions.

E3-Systems-SOV.png

Well, I guess the Wii didn't do too hot this year!

I don't know, I guess I'm a little hesitant to expect pertinent insight from a retail company (whose data is there to remind consumers to make pre-orders) and a marketing consultancy (whose data is there to remind retailers to order industry reports).

Is Fallout 4 not there because it was announced before E3 (in which case, Doom 4 was hardly an unknown), or because it's not in demand despite releasing soon?

The pie chart as a whole represents 20% of overall E3 chatter so maybe we could just as easily conclude that 80% of surveyed don't care about hardware platforms. To stretch a point.

But yeah maybe Nintendo should consider a Wii 2 or something. It's about time.

Amazon preorders are such a weird metric to draw any conclusions from. I think that it's interesting, but really depicts nothing of substance because it ignores that Amazon isn't exactly indicative of all retail and preorders are not indicative of final sales. I'd hazard to guess that a ton of holiday game sales come from Black Friday and week of Christmas physical retail purchases.

Sony did announce quite a few things that are a ways away and can't (or at least shouldn't) be pre-ordered yet. Twitter mentions could just as easily be mocking as praising, though I suppose you could go with "any publicity is good publicity."

Regardless, I'll stick with "everyone won E3." I'm so excited.

Amazon preorders are such a weird metric to draw any conclusions from. I think that it's interesting, but really depicts nothing of substance because it ignores that Amazon isn't exactly indicative of all retail and preorders are not indicative of final sales. I'd hazard to guess that a ton of holiday game sales come from Black Friday and week of Christmas physical retail purchases.

Amazon is a weird metric to draw conclusions from, but it's about as close to measuring dollars as you can get at this point.

Sony did announce quite a few things that are a ways away and can't (or at least shouldn't) be pre-ordered yet. Twitter mentions could just as easily be mocking as praising, though I suppose you could go with "any publicity is good publicity."

Regardless, I'll stick with "everyone won E3." I'm so excited.

Supposedly they took positive and negative mentions into account when they made that chart, but how they sorted through millions of tweet I have no idea.

Overall it's all meaningless anyway.  The only good it does is to drive fanboys and fangirls even further into their respective domains.  Who cares who won?  If I see one thing that makes me happy I call that a win for me.

Amazon is a weird metric to draw conclusions from, but it's about as close to measuring dollars as you can get at this point.

I take more issue with it just being Amazon UK, because the UK market is often an outlier.

I take more issue with it just being Amazon UK, because the UK market is often an outlier.

At the time of the article's publishing, UK was the only ones they had numbers for.  It said they asked for global and NA numbers as well but didn't have them yet.

Not sure how to feel about BHop's take on this E3.

I usually find his view on things interesting even when I don't really agree with them. This time I kind of agree in principle, sort of, except I don't really agree with his conclusion as far as how the gaming public at large should approach these things, at least not in some cases. I'm not a games writer or journalist or whatever, but I do consider myself an enthusiast, and watching big dumb spectacle events like this is part of the reason why I find games enjoyable. Years ago I might have agreed that over-exposing myself to the hype machine tarnished my gaming experience, but I guess I'm just worn to it enough now that I can take it for what it is (mostly, it's not like I'm completely immune to hype). Anyway I guess this is a pretty personal take on something that was meant as a more general point, but I don't think I'm alone in this so his advice comes off a little condescending, even though I'm sure that's not how he intended it.