I'm not letting Sony "get away" with anything, and I don't think anyone else is, either. It's just that they actually seem to care about Video Games, while Microsoft just comes off as Give Us Money Please, year after year. A lot of it is purely marketing schlock, but Sony's been ahead of the game for a while now when it comes to allowing and marketing crazy weird shit on their platform. Like what the fuck even is Dreams? Who knows but it looks fuckin' cool. (Also it's exclusive.) Horizon does look fucking great. Like a Monster Hunter that controls well. I'm interested in this Video Game.

I'm still not seeing what makes FO4 so impressive, but then I have historically been put off by their games entirely (though I did install FO3 to give it a shot, finally, after that press conference - the intro is really, really boring).

Congrats, Sony!

Jeez, stop giving Sony a break Twig. They didn't have any Day of the Tentacle Special Edition news, so obviously they dropped the ball BIG TIME. I'm disappointed in you, Twig. Extremely disappointed. :tmeh:

Fuck Sony!

They didn't have any Day of the Tentacle Special Edition news, so obviously they dropped the ball BIG TIME.

It's pretty funny over at the DF forums, a load of people are itching for more DOTT info, and they really need to relax because we're not going to hear anything else for 6 months and then it'll just be "it will have new graphics which look nice but aren't as good as the original, some commentaries and a bunch of old/new concept art".

Ben, what these new graphics look like is PRETTY important. Also, whether or not they're recording a orchestra version of the soundtrack. All I new to know, Double Fone. All I need to know..

Edit: Also, a short "Making of" like they did for Grim! Yes, please.

Double Fone? More like Double PHONY.

Ben, what these new graphics look like is PRETTY important. Also, whether or not they're recording a orchestra version of the soundtrack. All I new to know, Double Fone. All I need to know..

Edit: Also, a short "Making of" like they did for Grim! Yes, please.

But you won't find out for another 6 months, so chill out!

(But here's a hot scoop: the graphics will be very faithful, HDised versions of the original, they will have a couple of orchestral bits and a load of live jazzy stuff, and they will do a short making of.)

Well, not exactly 6 months, that's just a rough guess on my part for how long it will take from initial announcement to any concrete details/images etc. All I'm saying is it's pretty amusing to see a new post on there every day going "ANY MORE NEWS YET?!" when they likely have a long wait. It's like a kid getting excited for Christmas in June (speaking of which, I really should bump that thread again soon...).

So now that E3's done, time to check how the bingo cards went! I was reminded of this by seeing a picture of how Microsoft still managed to get a fucking car on stage despite them doing their conference in an arena with no way to drive it on stage.

I'm not letting Sony "get away" with anything, and I don't think anyone else is, either. It's just that they actually seem to care about Video Games, while Microsoft just comes off as Give Us Money Please, year after year. A lot of it is purely marketing schlock, but Sony's been ahead of the game for a while now when it comes to allowing and marketing crazy weird shit on their platform. Like what the fuck even is Dreams? Who knows but it looks fuckin' cool. (Also it's exclusive.) Horizon does look fucking great. Like a Monster Hunter that controls well. I'm interested in this Video Game.

I think that is exactly why I was initially excited by the Sony conference and then, three days later, became a little disgusted with it. Sony were harvesting dreams and appealing to the teen and early twenty year old in me. The truth of the matter was that most of their games were harking to an earlier time and although it definitely won hearts and minds, in the cold light of day, I now feel more jaded than ever.

Leigh Alexander wrote a good piece on Sony's press conference and I have edited some of this post as a result (I started reading it after I started posting because I remembered that I meant to) of her using very similar language.

http://boingboing.net/2015/06/16/the-only-things-you-really-nee-2.html

Although Microsoft was dull and reserved by contrast, at least a lot of them were games coming out in the next year or so, not dreams and fairy tales.

I agree with eot that multiplatform games on consoles is pointless... but how many real exclusives exist at this point outside of Nintendo's domain? If that's the entire point to a console for you, then surely any Sony/Microsoft console feels pointless.

Having been on both sides of the line over the last decade, I'd say there's a huge advantage to knowing that a game you buy for a console will just work, as opposed to debating over minimum/recommended specs when you're near the line. Steam refunds are starting to make that debate a little better, and games release broken everywhere now, but Oblivion on Xbox 360 made sense at the time and was well worth it rather than struggling to upgrade my PC on a budget to be just above the minimum line, and then not knowing the experience I would get.

Oh I made a typo in that original post. I meant to say that was my personally feel, cause I don't go for that many of the newest big 3D games. So I've never run into trouble getting a game to work on my dinky PC except for Dark Souls. I have probably abstained from higher spec games games that I might have considered if I was more confident they'd work, but nothing that I can remember disappointing me.

So now that E3's done, time to check how the bingo cards went! I was reminded of this by seeing a picture of how Microsoft still managed to get a fucking car on stage despite them doing their conference in an arena with no way to drive it on stage.

Oh, right. I got two bingos.

GRwHz47.png

I counted a combination of Pelé and Hoop God for the athlete square, the terrible Just Dance bit for plastic instruments, and the Skylamiibos for Toys To Life.

And you're saying that Aisha Tyler was more insufferable than Day9? Wow.

Day9's material could have been better, but he was a pretty good host.

The center square is also a free square, where people put in a thing that they think is guaranteed to happen, no matter what. Also, Aisha Tyler (and most of the Ubisoft presentation) was pretty bad:

New Metroid, eh? I see. I seeeeeeeee.

Didn't Sony get polite applause for new IP too? That thing there the world has ended and people have gone tribal and they're hunting robots in an open world with bows and stuff.

I now realise that sentence doesn't narrow things down much. A red haired monster hunter woman was rolling about in the grass and firing arrows at some cyborg rhino thing. What was that game called? Vanquish Dawn. Something Rising. I don't know. The Killzone guys are doing it. That one.

Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Maybe they asked the person who writes Square Enix's trailer dialogue to come up with that name.

I was complaining in IRC the entire time that it would have been fine to just call it Horizon. The stupid subtitle adds nothing.

I think Day9 and Aisha both did fine with the material they were given. Presenting a press conference is inherently dumb and somewhat obnoxious, and it being the first year the PC Gaming Show didn't really know what it was doing, and Ubisoft is always bizarre.

I'm shocked their were no gamergate jokes.  I figured somebody would try to slide one in.

Given the generally more inclusive speaker lineup (way more women than past years, wow!), and the number of games with female protagonists, and the fact that (I believe) this applied to almost all the people with press conferences... I'm actually not surprised! I'm pretty happy with this year, in fact.

Ubisoft even had a moment where one woman of color introduced another woman of color. Like damn. I know they've had Aisha for years now, but still, rock on. Too bad I care so little about most of their output these days. (Though I admit to still being a sucker for their AssCreed marketing - it always just looks so good to me.)

I was complaining in IRC the entire time that it would have been fine to just call it Horizon. The stupid subtitle adds nothing.

I think Day9 and Aisha both did fine with the material they were given. Presenting a press conference is inherently dumb and somewhat obnoxious, and it being the first year the PC Gaming Show didn't really know what it was doing, and Ubisoft is always bizarre.

Horizon is already a game. http://www.horizongame.com/

Zero Dawn immediately created one of those mental connections for me to Zero Dark Thirty, which is not a good association for a game to have. 

Everything's been "shit" for exclusive games, but I'm not really sure why people only judge the merit of a console by its exclusives.

Also if you ever be dismissive of Ratchet in my presence again, words will be had.

I know I'm a little late here but I wanted to chime in to say that I totally agree with Twig here. The number of shits I give about exclusives is close to zero. I am loving my PS4 because there are a ton of great games to play on it even though most of them are available on other platforms. I like the ecosystem, the trophy system, playing comfortably on my couch, and not having to worry about PC specs or anything like that. When I get around to upgrading my PC I'm sure I'll probably shift more towards PC gaming but even then there will still be a lot of stuff I will play on PS4. In fact, the only time I really prefer PC gaming is when it comes down to graphics. I am a sucker for pretty graphics.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with that. For me though it feels like the difference between buying a one time use item versus something you can keep for a while. Not saying that's a fair comparison, because obviously consoles last a while, but psychologically it's similar for me. I also play my old games a lot, last night I played my copy of Quake 3, not sure if most people do.

PCs may not be a one time use, but if you upgrade just the video card from time to time, it's often like buying yet another PS4.