If it makes you feel better, change.org has a pretty low success rate and is really more of a statement than something that could have any effect.

I understand why people are upset, the game looks pretty lame, especially in comparison to a real metroid.

I think the point, that's been made earlier, is that no-one actually can describe what a 'real' Metroid is. Every game in the series has had different design principles, and fans have very different ideas about which elements of those games are indispensable.

I think the point, that's been made earlier, is that no-one actually can describe what a 'real' Metroid is. Every game in the series has had different design principles, and fans have very different ideas about which elements of those games are indispensable.

I disagree, I've not got a history of nostalgia with Metroid, but I have played a lot of them within a short amount of time to see the massive similarities between each one. The idea of a "mission based" Metroid doesn't make sense in terms of the Metroid series as a whole, the design theme through all the ones I've played has been exploration and discovery. 

What they've pitched looks like Helldivers to me. That's not to say it's a bad idea, that was a great, if not short lived game, but it's not what I associate with Metroid.

Also, a Metroid without Samus? Can that ever be called a real Metroid?

The length of Star Fox will dictate how much I care. I picked up Star Fox 64 3D, finished it in a day and was incredibly disappointed. 

I basically want a Rogue Squadron 3.

I wonder how much my interest in the new game has to do with nostalgia. I played 64 a crap load, took every different path through the planets that I could.

But it turns out, I really just wanted Rogue Squadron the whole time--which I think came out...I want to say 2-3 years later. Those games really were a blast. I never touched any of the prequel trilogy flying shootey games because the prequel trilogy did a garbage job with vehicles and space battles. And I'm one of the few that actually liked the prequel trilogy.

Metroidvania is kinda considered a genre for a reason. It's not that there's one special way to make a Metroid game but there's a lot of design to draw on that this game doesn't seem to.

I see this as a Captain Toad of the Metroid series: of Nintendo's franchises, Metroid is the one they think of when they think of science fiction and shooting, but this clearly isn't a game that should star Samus Aran, because the emphasis is in different places. Hence, the Galactic Federation.

I suspect people wouldn't be as salty if it didn't seem like they weren't making games with Samus Aran in them.

Edit: I kind of love how everyone is confused that Kanye West went to E3. Does he like games? Is he in a game? Doesn't he have like a million things going on? Why did Kanye West go to E3? I thought, with gaming's mainstream respectability, that the old 'wait, what's Stephen Spielberg doing at E3' stories would have dried up, but we've managed to go a whole new level instead.

I suspect people wouldn't be as salty if it didn't seem like they weren't making games with Samus Aran in them.

Spot on. I think the game looks kinda fun, but if it was released a few months after Metroid U/3DS people would be excited. Just like 3D World and Land leading into Captain Toad.

Absolutely. People's problem isn't that this is coming out, it's that it's at the (perceived) expense of a 'real' Metroid game.

Oof. That looks really cool but ranks as one of the highest discrepancies between high illustrative detail and bad animation I've ever seen.

Yeah, it reminds me of those really early trailers for Dust: An Elysian Tail before the guy learned how to do a proper walk cycle.

Woah

Adult Swim Games is really out there doing it, huh? Soundodger, Paranautical Activity, Jazz Punk, Super House of Dead Ninjas, and Volgarr the Viking are all games they've published and I've really enjoyed. 

I feel like if you want pixel art to look good you need to have similar constraints on the animation as you do on the art. It doesn't look like they're doing that so the animation is inconsistent with itself, which is too bad, since it looks great some of the time.

Oh yeah, you know that almost-Mario-Party Animal Crossing game showed off during their Direct presentation?

I was pleading at my monitor asking Nintendo why they would do such a thing. It's so cruel. "Sup everyone here to have a good ti- WHY ARE YOU HAPPIER THAN I AM"

At first I thought it looked a little better than a Mario Party game because it has this sort of Chance and Community Chest thing going on where you get cute little vignettes instead instead of terrible minigames.

Then I learned you're actually supposed to be using the Amiibo cards to unlock the terrible minigames.

That's why they all have dice rolls and Rock Paper Scissors on them.

meHhazZ.jpg

Those cute animals now represent a passive-aggressive hostility to me. How has this happened.

Quick question:

what the fuck are Amiibo cards

I have a better feeling about Starfox and the Metroid Prime spinoff since I learned that Platinumgames is the one making Starfox and Next Level Games is behind the Metroid Prime 3DS online game.

E: Forgot to write that Fast Racing Neo looks exactly as I had dreamed and hoped for. First day perch for sure. Shinen always makes such beautiful looking games, but this time the gameplay looks to be there also. The Wipeout of this generation. The Treehouse video of Fast Racing Neo was just perfect for me, fun to finally see some gameplay.

I had exactly the opposite feeling concerning PG and Star Fox. I love Bayonetta and W101, but the shooting sequences are by far the worst parts of those games!

It's weird, Nintendo says they brought Platinum into Star Fox because their games always have such strong visuals, but everything we've seen of Star Fox Zero so far is pretty much just metal boxes.

Quick question:

what the fuck are Amiibo cards

They're trading cards with NFC tags embedded in them.

I feel like if you want pixel art to look good you need to have similar constraints on the animation as you do on the art. It doesn't look like they're doing that so the animation is inconsistent with itself, which is too bad, since it looks great some of the time.

One thing that often gets my goat is when a game uses scaling or rotation that doesn't respect the pixel layout. 

This years E3 was great fun! So much great games and just all around good vibes.

Finally finished watching all the press conferences last night. I'm more excited after this E3 than I was after the last couple, so that's good. Sony showed some pretty cool stuff, but most of of it isn't out until next year, and I'm really starting to want to buy a WiiU, even though I barely use my Xbox One as it is.

A "something for everyone" sort of E3, lots of things I don't care about but a few I'm really looking forward to. Mario Maker, The Last Guardian, Firewatch, Cuphead topping the list for me.