That's true, but most games can be boiled down to a list of features that, on paper, don't inspire much confidence.

I think it's funny that dog is something to be ultra jazzed about when it's Fallout, but hilarious and dumb when it's Call of Duty.

Did I miss something in the reveal that would make it so much better? I wasn't really paying close attention.

All that said, watching the reaction to Happy Meal toys was one of the most alienating experiences I've had in months. I've seen that people are talking about speculative amiibo-markets for a year or so, but I hadn't grasped that people cared so deeply about little figurines until I saw them go Oprah-show wild.

People go crazy for free stuff, regardless of how crap it is! Remember that year when Microsoft gave everyone in the audience a free Xbox 360 slim and all the press tried to play it cool and pretend that it wasn't a big deal and that they were all super professional? That didn't happen, they were super giddy.

But in all seriousness, having loads of fans at the Bethesda event was a great choice, they lifted every announcement, and I'm sure it looks good to the money men sitting in the audience.

I think it's funny that dog is something to be ultra jazzed about when it's Fallout, but hilarious and dumb when it's Call of Duty.

Did I miss something in the reveal that would make it so much better? I wasn't really paying close attention.

Is that really what's happening? It looks super dumb to me.

I will not hear a word against mo-cap dog, prince of our hearts and our twitter feeds

As someone who never really got into Fallout, all the Fallout 4 stuff seemed like basically just a feature list, and not one that seems particularly exciting or inventive.

• crafting system
  • dog
  • character customization
  • basebuilding tower defense thing
  • second screen experience that you won't use
  • spinoff iOS game
  • plastic shit in the collector's edition that you won't use

Not really feelin' it.

The thing about having a crafting system and base-building system like that in an open-world Bethesda game is that Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim have these strange NPC behaviors that are really fun to observe. So when I see that you can build things, my first thought is how the NPC's will react to the new jank. They seemed to imply that you can't build a base anywhere, but they also said that NPCs will join you in your base so I bet that will be really fun to see break in odd ways.

I think there are two major differences-

1) Dogpanion is a controllable NPC in an unscripted world who you can choose to be your buddy rather than having the game be about a dog.

2) Dogmeat has been in all the numbered Fallout games and thus is almost 20 years old, inspiring nostalgia and happiness.

I've played every Fallout game and I don't get the hype for Dogmeat. Hell, in the first game he was only there as a Mad Max reference. I hope they'll have New Vegas style companions with good stories behind them.

Oh, and since Microsoft is about to start, come join the IRC channel!

Hell, in the first game he was only there as a Mad Max reference.

It's equally plausible that it was A Boy and His Dog reference, which in turn had to be a reference point for Mad Max (the wackiness and surrealness is certainly there).  

It's equally plausible that it was A Boy and His Dog reference, which in turn had to be a reference point for Mad Max (the wackiness and surrealness is certainly there).  

The quest where you got Dogmeat specifically mentioned a character like Mad Max, didn't it? To actually get the dog to follow you you needed to be wearing a leather jacket.

So I am at work.

Did microsoft announce Minecraft with Oculus Rift support as an Xbox One exclusive?

The quest where you got Dogmeat specifically mentioned a character like Mad Max, didn't it? To actually get the dog to follow you you needed to be wearing a leather jacket.

It might have, it's been several years since the last time I replayed F1, but for me the dog as an iconic vision of a dog in post apocalyptic worlds starts with A Boy and His Dog. 

Hot Scoops live on stage has been the highlight of my E3 so far.

It might have, it's been several years since the last time I replayed F1, but for me the dog as an iconic vision of a dog in post apocalyptic worlds starts with A Boy and His Dog.

Nah, you put on the Mad Max-style one-sleeved leather jacket, and Dogmeat "recognizes" you. It's totally an intentional reference to that movie.

Microsoft sure wants to make me buy a Xbox One. Backwards compatibility, Rare collection, mods... Phil Spencer is doing a fantastic job.

Backwards compatibility really hits hard for me.  If I can play the original Xbox games that were compatible with the 360 on the XBO, then I'll go buy an XBO right now.

Backwards compatibility really hits hard for me. If I can play the original Xbox games that were compatible with the 360 on the XBO, then I'll go buy an XBO right now.

Yep, I always wanted to play the 360 version of Red Dead Redemption, the PS3 version was pretty bad in terms of performance. I'm really tempted to buy an XBO now, the only problem is that I already own three consoles and a PC and barely have time for those.

So what was the Minecraft VR announcement? I see chatter, but I can't find any stories on it or watch the stream.

So what was the Minecraft VR announcement? I see chatter, but I can't find any stories on it or watch the stream.

It was all hololens. You can project it on to a wall through the headset (just emulating a flatscreen TV) or you can view a cross section of your world in 3D on a flat surface (a table). When on a table you seem to act more like a god figure, marking areas for other people (who are playing on xbox, pc, surface) and shooting lightning. To be honest it seemed like a pretty tech demo for now, and a cool way to view creations.

To be honest it seemed like a pretty tech demo for now, and a cool way to view creations.

It does look neat. Like, if I had a minecraft world that I was super invested in, it'd be a fun way to get a different look at it. It's like using one of those nifty 3D visualizers for Dwarf Fortress, or flying around your city in SimCopter. 

clyde: Check it out when a video goes up, it's a nifty demo for hololens AR stuff. It looks very capable, although still leaves plenty of room for skepticism in terms of what the actual experience will be like.

If Firewatch turns up on the Playstation stage we can finally have a console war!