ysbreker

XCOM 2

Only had time to do one mission and start a 2 nd before heading up to bed but am i setting correctly that initially assert least civilians alert aliens to you presence if they see you?

Only had time to do one mission and start a 2 nd before heading up to bed but am i setting correctly that initially assert least civilians alert aliens to you presence if they see you?

Correct.

Yup, 2 hours to unpack. I need to get an SSD. I wonder if it would have been quicker to just download it now.

I had to update Steam before I could start the game. And they say you can't emulate the PS3 on PC.

Also the time to unpack for me said 6 minutes and took maybe 2. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

This game is beyond brutal. Forget casualties, I am lapping the number of deaths around the number of missions I've completed.

I'm playing on normal.

Maybe literally no squaddies 3 hours in is too hard.

Using the thumbs soldier list provided by Wooben might have been a mistake. Jennegatron was my best ranger until she got mind controlled and killed two of her squadmates. Why do you hate humanity? 

I only had time to get through the scripted tutorial tonight before I had to head to bed, and it's likely to be Saturday before I can touch it again.  I'm excited by some of the things I'm hearing.  I expected it to look better though?  In my memory, it feels like 1 looked as good or better, but maybe I should fire it up to see if that's true. 

It took me about 25-30 minutes to unpack, and it wasn't installed to my SSD, just my regular drive. 

Took my machine 2 hours, so did MGS5. I guess it's just a hazard of having a RAID array.

I played the mission you get to control yourself, then stopped. I'm having a weird thing where the audio starts to cut in and out during cut scenes, and then eventually the whole thing starts hitching. Thankfully, game play seems fine so far.

Edit: Fixed by unplugging my controller that was still hooked up *shrug*

Edit 2: Well my first game ended quickly, the ranger that you get after the first tutorial mission got mind controlled by a Sectoid that then ran back way into a building where I couldn't reach him, and she stabbed the entire rest of my team. I'll just start over tomorrow. Gnight.

Man Rangers clean house with the blade damage upgrade. I was initially really intimidated by sectoids, but they're a lot easier to deal with if you just dash a guy right up in their face and take them out in one hit 100% of the time (as far as i know).

Mine's gonna take 8 days to download according to Steam. Well I guess that's what I get for living in Spain; cheap beer and good weather, but awful, awful, terrible, embarrasingly shite internet. 

Well got playing last night, did the tutorial mission and then the second mission. My first attempt at that (on the classic difficultly equivalent) ended in a total squad wipe. It was glorious! Admitted I replayed it flawlessly but having that timer completely eradicated the 'creep forward on over watch' default tactic of the first game. Excellent!

I think the game looks great, and I really enjoy all the little UI tweaks that make things more fluid. I am comparing straight to XCOM:EU, as I didn't play Within or Long War. I think the idea that you're building up resources instead of trying not to lose them is a fantastic tweak for me personally, because the metagame always made me panic about satellites and other stuff, sometimes afraid to push the next turn button and get a UFO that I couldn't deal with.

I like being disabused of the notion that you can save your lil' toy soldiers, because the very first game I played of 2012 XCOM I went literally hours without losing an officer, and then lost my highest ranking one who had never even been injured in the last 2 turns of the first base assault. I was so distraught I don't think I ever came back to that save.

However, doing an optional objective that I thought was going to end a mission that instead caused an entire squad wipe was a fucking unpleasant surprise. I didn't go Full Vanaman and delete local content, but I did hard quit the game on that one. It was late, I was tired, and it pissed me off, but good news I still really want to jump back in and play.

My first impression after my squad wipe (or near wipe and then rage quit) is that on Veteran it feels similarly difficult to the Long War mod for XCOM1. If you're not in full cover, you die. If a sectoid mind controls you and you can't reach him, you die. If you trigger more than one pod at once, you die. I'm generally in for difficult games, but I didn't expect the second real mission, before I even got out of the tutorial, to be so savage. I need some smoke and flash grenades or something, nothing I learned from BeagleRush is applicable here.

Using the thumbs soldier list provided by Wooben might have been a mistake. Jennegatron was my best ranger until she got mind controlled and killed two of her squadmates. Why do you hate humanity? 

Sorry. I'm just too good.

Okay, I may be slightly less irked about the nature of the future DLC.  I didn't know that they had commissioned the Long War creators to have 3 mods ready for release, including new weapons, a sub class and a new enemy, in part to demonstrate what mod tools are available and to have (hopefully) high quality mods available from the getgo.  That's pretty cool, and an awesome recognition of the work the Long War people have put into XCOM 1 over the years. 

I just moved a soldier into cover, and inadvertently triggered another squad of enemies that was just out of her sight. They all moved into flanking positions and proceeded to miss every shot on her.

This is still XCOM!

Anyone else finding their resistance fighters can see and shoot through solid walls, rocks, scenery with no problem at all? I'm all for having the advantage, but wallhacking?

The aliens have it too, I get hit by impossible overwatch shots constantly. It's really sad to see that many of the problems that would occasionally make the previous game so frustrating are still present.

Whelp, this time I got mind controlled and lost a soldier on the very first mission, so I'm going through the first half of the tutorial a third time. This game is officially harder than Darkest Dungeon.

Edit: And again, Psi panic and dropped a grenade at her feet, and then the car exploded before I even had the chance to move anyone and finished them off.

Finally got past the first two missions without a fatality, felt like I was doing all right after the first supply drop, then suddenly they dump a bunch of enemies with a bunch more life on me. So now none of my weapons can kill an enemy in one hit anymore and I'm sunk once again.

I like this game a lot, I think that concealment gives you the tools to dictate your engagements in a way that makes it a lot less frustrating than the first XCOM.

That said, the (first?) Codex fight is bullshit. There's no preparation for all the random powers that it busts out and, if you're taking your cues from the first game, it's fully possible for it to spawn with your squad exhausted and totally out of position. Maybe it's an authentic experience for aliens to slaughter your squad because you had no idea what they were capable of, but it wasn't particularly fun. Good thing it was the B team, but still...

Also, five out of maybe a dozen missions have taken place in Kansas City for me. It makes me chuckle, in a good way.