ysbreker

XCOM 2

I'd like a Telltale game in the XCOM universe.

I'd also like a new Bureau game to take that idea and clean it up.

love expanding a world with new types of experiences. BIG fan of it. People who get mad about that kind of thing... make me mad. Anyway! I'm with Bjorn on this one.

I don't know if a Telltale game is what I'd prefer, personally.  It turns out that the Walking Dead Season 1 is the only actual Telltale game I've really loved.  I don't think the rest of their games are bad, just that they don't really engage me and what I enjoy. 

A story I would love to see is something like a group of civilians trapped in a city with a terror mission going on, where the point is to survive a fixed amount of time until Xcom can show up or something.  A kind of Dead Rising type game in the Xcom universe.  It would let a writer explore the idea of being a civilian in a war zone (something super topical), but that we're unlikely to see in a real world setting in a game, but sci-fi can get away with that. 

Like I expect/hope that XCOM 2 will explore some ideas about using guerrilla warfare and terrorist tactics when a marginalized force has to take on a larger, more technically developed military force.  Similar to how the third (I think) season of Battlestar Galactica depicted similar themes.

I really need to play This War of Mine, I keep forgetting about it. 

I don't know if a Telltale game is what I'd prefer, personally.  It turns out that the Walking Dead Season 1 is the only actual Telltale game I've really loved. 

They don't fit into what you normally think of as a "Telltale Game" but puzzle agent & puzzle agent 2 are secretly the best games ever.

They don't fit into what you normally think of as a "Telltale Game" but puzzle agent & puzzle agent 2 are secretly the best games ever.

My fiancée and I have a semi routine whereby we replay the Puzzle Agent games every 18 months or so; we've been doing this for years now. Those games are lovely.

I should try them then!  I've only played WDS1, Wolf Among Us, Sam and Max and Back to the Future.  I didn't dislike any of them, just decided that I could spend my gaming time on other things.  I think I own Puzzle Agent 1 out of a bundle. 

They talk about stealth and scouting in the interview which has me excited. My biggest pet peeve in XCOM is how much having vision works against you. Here's to snipers and scouts actually playing like snipers and scouts!

More details have emerged in an interview with Jake Solomon.

Finally had time to read that now that work is done.  Everything in that interview is really exciting!

This is impossible not to get hyped up about. 

Geez Bjorn, just break my heart over and over why don't you?!

Geez Bjorn, just break my heart over and over why don't you?!

? :blink:

(it's okay i still haven't played xcom at all even though i've owned it since it launched)

Oh hey guys, since we're getting Xcom 2, do you think we'll get a companion sequel to The Bureau?!

I am probably the only person in the world who would be excited about that.

There would be two of us at least! A sequel that isn't tossed around back and forth and has a truly unified vision would be amazing. So many pieces of The Bureau could have been great but fell short.

They talk about stealth and scouting in the interview which has me excited. My biggest pet peeve in XCOM is how much having vision works against you. Here's to snipers and scouts actually playing like snipers and scouts!

I dunno, I didn't find that snipers had a real problem with the vision mechanic

.... once you learned that every sniper should have Squad Sight.

There would be two of us at least! A sequel that isn't tossed around back and forth and has a truly unified vision would be amazing. So many pieces of The Bureau could have been great but fell short.

I quite liked The Bureau, it had plenty of issues but there's definitely potential for a sequel to be rather good.

I don't know if a Telltale game is what I'd prefer, personally.  It turns out that the Walking Dead Season 1 is the only actual Telltale game I've really loved.  I don't think the rest of their games are bad, just that they don't really engage me and what I enjoy. 

A story I would love to see is something like a group of civilians trapped in a city with a terror mission going on, where the point is to survive a fixed amount of time until Xcom can show up or something.  A kind of Dead Rising type game in the Xcom universe.  It would let a writer explore the idea of being a civilian in a war zone (something super topical), but that we're unlikely to see in a real world setting in a game, but sci-fi can get away with that. 

Like I expect/hope that XCOM 2 will explore some ideas about using guerrilla warfare and terrorist tactics when a marginalized force has to take on a larger, more technically developed military force.  Similar to how the third (I think) season of Battlestar Galactica depicted similar themes.

I'm just funnin' you and Telltale on that.

I genuinely hope people don't start anticipating a structure that's wildly different from Enemy Unknown. I think that's a huge recipe for disappointment until something explicitly shows those changes. Mr. Solomon has come across in all the media I've seen before and even right in the IGN piece as a very mechanics-focused guy. I imagine there will be new and hopefully interesting strategic choices, but in all the X's COM there has never really been a story that isn't your personal story. It's an Aliens-Killing-You-Repeatedly tactics game.

I'm just funnin' you and Telltale on that.

I genuinely hope people don't start anticipating a structure that's wildly different from Enemy Unknown. I think that's a huge recipe for disappointment until something explicitly shows those changes. Mr. Solomon has come across in all the media I've seen before and even right in the IGN piece as a very mechanics-focused guy. I imagine there will be new and hopefully interesting strategic choices, but in all the X's COM there has never really been a story that isn't your personal story. It's an Aliens-Killing-You-Repeatedly tactics game.

Oh, please don't misunderstand me.  I love, love, love Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within, and I'm stoked for what it looks like Solomon is building with 2.

My point was that The Bureau showed that there was potential to explore smaller stories in the Xcom universe.  I just want those as extra fun stuff to enjoy, not to be incorporated into the main tactical/strategy game. 

I want an XCOM game where you're a civilian trying to get the fuck out when a battle goes down.

I want an XCOM game where you're the aliens.

I want an XCOM game where you're managing the science and research and commands come down from on high and you have to fulfill the requirements.

I also want this kind of stuff for lots of other games. I don't understand people who are against exploring a universe with different types of games. Hell, give me a slapstick comedy story in the XCOM world and the next year release the Battlestar Galactica of XCOM. I don't even care! Give me all of it.

Resident Evil had the couple of "outbreak" games that featured civilians trying to escape Racoon City during the events of ResEvil2.  I never got to play those though, as I skipped over the PS2 completely. 

Oh, please don't misunderstand me.  I love, love, love Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within, and I'm stoked for what it looks like Solomon is building with 2.

My point was that The Bureau showed that there was potential to explore smaller stories in the Xcom universe.  I just want those as extra fun stuff to enjoy, not to be incorporated into the main tactical/strategy game. 

I wonder, since they're talking about going the resistance route, if there will be room to tell a few more personal stories of your soldiers. In the interview, it seems like they're trying to shift away from a military complex sending hundreds of marines into the grinder, and that could be one way of doing it.

I wonder, since they're talking about going the resistance route, if there will be room to tell a few more personal stories of your soldiers. In the interview, it seems like they're trying to shift away from a military complex sending hundreds of marines into the grinder, and that could be one way of doing it.

I hope I can still rename everyone. I did a great Enemy Unknown game where all the characters were friends of mine and I would tag them in screenshots of the deaths on facebook.