I got it to-day, along with the Switch pro controller with the beautiful colors, and OMIGOSH IT'S SO MUCH FUN!! I was hyped for this, but even still I hadn't expected that playing rounds of Splatoon would be so attractive and addictive. Fresh from the start I got a few good kills [playing with other starters online], so it gave me a bit of a boost, and everything about the design is gorgeous.

Did you see how hilariously the shops woosh by when you switch between them, and all the furniture bops and jiggles as if the stores are physically rushing along? God.

I can see myself playing A LOT OF THIS.

50 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

It's not, you can do it online (solo or with friends) by going to a shack to the left of the... uh main central elevator lookin thing where you do versus matches.

Hm, I've been under the impression that its only online during certain event windows (ala SplatFest). Here's a snippet from polygon's review:

Salmon Run feels like a much more formidable part of Splatoon 2, especially for those in search of tough gameplay. The only downside? The mode is generally only available in local co-op; there will be online play, but only during special events run by Nintendo. 

Oh well yes that is true. I'm not sure how special the events are going to be though? I've heard the main purpose is just to limit a player's access to the highly valuable rewards it offers. So I wouldn't think that'd make it too rare (and the window so far has been a whole day, rather than 2-4 hours).

1 hour ago, Roderick said:

I got it to-day, along with the Switch pro controller with the beautiful colors, and OMIGOSH IT'S SO MUCH FUN!! I was hyped for this, but ever still I hadn't expected that playing rounds of Splatoon would be so attractive and addictive. Fresh from the start I got a few good kills [playing with other starters online], so it gave me a bit of a boost, and everything about the design is gorgeous.

Did you see how hilariously the shops woosh by when you switch between them, and all the furniture bops and jiggles as if the stores are physically rushing along? God.

I can see myself playing A LOT OF THIS.

Yuup! I never played Splatoon and it did not seem that interesting to me either, but all the praise for the original and the hype for the sequel made me take a closer look at the game. This thing is super fun! I love the fact that I can (feel that) I contribute even if I'm not a super good at shooter games, simply by painting the town purple*. I got used to the controls quite fast, and actually was quite often in the top two for my team, which was nice. I expect this situation to change drastically, as I level up and as other players start to put the hours in, but whatever, for now at least, I'm having a lot more fun than I would ever have expected from a fast-paced multiplayer game.

Also, god damn this game looks good!

* I'm actually a bit surprised that this game doesn't have an Overwatch-style end-of-the-match highlights for various players' contributions.

21 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

True, it just seems like an odd choice :P

3 minutes ago, Nappi said:

* I'm actually a bit surprised that this game doesn't have an Overwatch-style end-of-the-match highlights for various players' contributions.

Oh man, this would be awesome!

I'm also playing and am up for some rounds. I assumed that you'd be able to start a private match of Salmon Run even if they didn't have it in the rotation, but apparently it's not an option? What the actual hell, Nintendo? It's a weird decision already to limit pub games to specific times, but to not even have it be an option if you have a group ready to go is beyond stupid. Oh well. I am 5 levels deep in the Single Player and really enjoying it, and have got myself up to level 4 on Turf War so that I can now buy items and play Salmon Run if there's a game going. Hit me up if you see me online!

Just got myself up to level 4 before leaving for the gym, so I'll probably be on again later tonight once I get home. 

I've sent friend requests to the folks in here :) if y'all are on the idle thumbs discord, we can use that for voice chat. I don't think I'll ever use the Nintendo app for voice chat, it seems real bad.

Accepted! Just got through the second boss in SP and had three rounds of Salmon Run. Threw out my back at the gym yesterday (Lost balance and fell backwards during a lift. Caught myself, but pulled something doing so) which, while bad, I guess was timed pretty well as I will be stuck on the couch for a few days. This and Nier will be my panacea. I guess I should probably sign up for discord, huh?

I believe I received it too! Yesterday I did tons and tons of Salmon Run, it's great. Those bosses are crazy. Especially Steel Eel (the showering snake-like boss) can rally demolish a team. I lost a lot of matches against him, especially when the playing field was confined to just the boat section of the level. Great stuff!

Otherwise, I'm not a great battler yet, but the motion controls really click with me. I tried switching them off and found it just about impossible to play if I had to aim with the stick. Honestly. Right now I'm focused on gaining levels and upgrading my gear, though I've yet to understand the right path for it. Like, what's the optimum thing to do: unlock all the additional stats on gear and then scrubbing them to collect ability chunks? Do I invest in food and drinks from Crusty Sean (and I'm Sean Vanaman) for exp boosts or stat increase?

Man, Salmon Run is great. I think maybe I wish the maps were a bit bigger, but I don't really have a good reason for that.

And yeah motion controls are king in Splatoon. Ever since playing the first one, I've rigged up many a game to use motion controls for precision aiming with my Steam Controller via Steam Link. I don't play FPS like that, but it works super well for games that make you aim occasionally, like shooting a bow in Shadow of Mordor, for example.

I do wish I could turn on vrtical control stick camera and keep motion controls for the small movements, though. That would be my ideal setup.

Yeah, Salmon Run is really fun and super hectic!

I did not spare much thought for the presentation of the original game, apart from thinking that it looks like "some kids thing". Now that I own the game, I'm constantly wondering what the fuck is going on with the visuals and the music. I love that it is not feel like a direct adaptation of something else, but very much its own thing. 

Also, being able to remix the background song while waiting for players to join is a fantastic little touch.

Wifi rubbishness has prevented me from trying an actual match but so far it feels just like the original. EXCEPT - why have they moved the jump from X to B? And why can't I change it?!

Also, does the 8-bit platform jumping game appear while you're waiting too, or is it just the remix thing? Busting to try it out.

Got randomly matched up against YoThatLimp this afternoon. Not gonna say who won (Ok, I will. It was me!), but it was fun to bump into a Thumb in the wild. Unfortunately, as my screen name right now is just "Pete", I doubt he knew I was up against him. Good round though!

Ha, after repeatedly getting an error code I googled a DNS solution, changed it and everything's working. I had to turn off motion for handheld mode and I'll have to play with the sensitivity but everything feels and looks great (apart from constantly opening my map whenever i mean to jump!) Man, am I missing my NES Zapper though - I need to level up pronto.

Salmon Run is ace, I'm loving it.

11 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

Also, does the 8-bit platform jumping game appear while you're waiting too, or is it just the remix thing? Busting to try it out.

I think it's just the remix thing unfortunately. You can play the rhythm game by going to the arcade machine next to the DDR game in the plaza, but you can't play it whilst match making :(

13 hours ago, miffy495 said:

Got randomly matched up against YoThatLimp this afternoon. Not gonna say who won (Ok, I will. It was me!), but it was fun to bump into a Thumb in the wild. Unfortunately, as my screen name right now is just "Pete", I doubt he knew I was up against him. Good round though!

Hey! I actually joined up on the game from the 'online friends' menu.

it's dumb it wouldn't put us up on the same team, but yeah you kicked my butt :P

Yeah, I did that too with a friend of mine. It's a weird little system, but when someone in your list is playing, you can hook up with them without any communication going on and they'll just see you pop up in their next match. Hey, at least it's a very low-bar way of playing together.

Huh. Well, good to know! It's super weird that it doesn't tell me that you joined intentionally though. Man, even when Nintendo gets online right, they still find ways to get online wrong...

If I'm being honest, I kind of think everything outside playing the game itself is pretty...bad. Obviously it has great game-play, character design, music, etc but when it comes to UI, user experience, and actually playing online with friends I feel like its a misstep at every turn. It oddly enough mirrors my thoughts on Battlefield 1; it's fun to play but it shouldn't be this hard to get into a match with friends and shoot dudes/ink. 

The way the online friend system works for me goes like this:

"Oh hey, miffy is on, I'll hop in his game!"

*wait a few minutes to get into the match*

"Oh crap, I forgot to swap out my weapon/clothing"

*hop out of game and fix it*

"Oh hey, miffy is on, I'll hop in his game!"

*wait a few minutes to get into the match and then matches on to enemy team*

Haha, yeah, that's an annoyance: no swapping gear in between matches without completely leaving the current team. That really messes with meta play and adapting to your enemies. Of course, you indeed don't know if you'll be teamed with or against your friend, which I don't completely mind though. It shakes things up.

Of course I had a weird few matches yesterday where I hooked up with Hiero (maybe from here? I actually don't know!) and he was in a pool with level 30 Japanese masters. Insane battles. Maybe not very fun though. You really need to play with people your own skill, because getting steamrollered isn't much fun.

I like that there's a steady map rotation thing, that makes it feel curated. Though I don't think it's good that Salmon Run isn't just always available. It's way too much fun to not be around half of the time.

1 hour ago, Roderick said:

I like that there's a steady map rotation thing, that makes it feel curated. Though I don't think it's good that Salmon Run isn't just always available. It's way too much fun to not be around half of the time.

Yeah, Salmon Run being available every other day (and god I hope they don't ever make it less frequent than that) is a bummer, because that mode is the best. It is not a big issue right now as I'm on a holiday, but after it is over, I will not have time to play Splatoon every day. When I have free time, though, I would definitely want to play some Salmon Run.

Also, it was a really pleasant surprise that they mix things up in Salmon Run after a while.

Yeah, I got mobbed by glowing dudes when I started it up last. No idea what the hell happened there, but it was neat and really messed with me. Into it.

Hi yes I'm Hiero, haha. I've been playing way too much and I'm over level 20, and also due to my region I get matched against Japanese players a lot.