I wonder how they plan on handling sea slug distribution after splatfest, or if they're just going to phase out rerolling/adding slots.

Definitely something I've thought about. Maybe they'll make it a reward for ranked play victories, since the use for them is mostly something only serious players are concerned with.

You can spend the normal currency on rerolls when you're out of shells. (It's expensive.)

I imagine they'll just leave it at that.

So Splatoon will just end up being more of a grind.

Also, the Marie and Callie Amiibos are out.

Yeah I only have enough money for about 15 rerolls, which is about how many I would get from a single Splatfest. I'm pretty happy with the gear I already have though so I don't mind. New players looking to play ranked may become frustrated.

For Euro Splat Thumbs (there may not be many of you I suppose):

http://play.eslgaming.com/splatoon/europe

Nintendo of Europe and Electronic Sports League have partnered to bring official Splatoon tournaments weekly + monthly finals for the next 6 months. Prizes include Splatoon merchandise (clothing/hats), with a grand final prize next year of....an NX.

Please win some of the monthly tournaments and send me a Takoroka Mesh hat, thanks.

Hey all, if you're not doing anything on 23rd Oct (Sydney time), please fly down to Sydney to play in a Splatoon LAN event I'm co-organising k thanks 

In all seriousness, a lady I met on an Australian Splatoon discord community contacted Nintendo ANZ about an event that we were tentatively planning, and Nintendo actually responded and are giving us Splatoon merchandise for free, to give out as prizes at our event. I'm really excited about this! I've wanted to participate in a Splatoon LAN since last year, but nobody was doing anything, so when I was approached about helping to organise one, I decided to step up and we're both really excited about positive reaction from Nintendo about our event.

Hello folks, your resident lone Splatoon-playing Thumb here. My Splatoon LAN event went really well! People had fun and were excited about a future event, which made me so very happy. Lately there have been a few articles popping up about the potential of Splatoon stepping up its competitive aspect; with Nintendo of America partnering with Battlefy to host a series of tournaments in November, and of course the Nintendo Switch trailer showing off a Splatoon tournament. This Redbull Esports article featuring an interview with EndGameTV staff just went up a few hours ago: http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esports/stories/1331826425120/competitive-splatoon-is-ready-for-nintendo-switch. EndGameTV was very kind to share the livestream of my LAN tournament, so I'm really happy that they were approached by Redbull for the article. I hope this wave of momentum we have right now will push us forward and get bigger tournaments with more support from Nintendo in the near future!

I just got this over the weekend and I am sad it took me this long to get it. If anyone is still playing let me know and we can ink some fools!

Yess I still play a ton. Most of the Splatoon community these days resides in various discord servers if you are interested in the competitive scene at all. I'm hosting a second LAN tournament in Sydney tomorrow, but we should be livestreaming it for anyone not in Sydney.

Hi, me again, your resident Splatoon poster. The Splatfest demos for Europe and America will go live in a few hours/a few more hours after that respectively! I'll be playing in the "American" one since it's the one that was set for Australians. I also played the Japanese one which finished up just now, and had a ton of fun! This game is still fun! Anyway didn't feel like making a new thread for Splatoon 2 when this thread is still perfectly serviceable. Hope to see some folks in the American Splatfest!

It's possible to play in multiple Splatfests? I'm working this evening so thought I was going to miss the European one, so I'd be pretty stoked to be able to give Splatoon 2 a go if its possible.

Sorry for late reply but yeah it was possible; you just needed to make separate accounts set to different regions and download the app from the different eshops. 

Yeah I managed to figure it out, it just required changing the country of residence on my Nintendo account. I enjoyed it as a first taste of Splatoon, having not played the original, but I don't know how much I would play it for it to be worth buying. A friend is also trying to persuade me to get Arms which is kinda tempting but I can't afford both! It feels like the Switch will be in a fairly solid position.

I'll tell you right now Splatoon 2 is far more likely to still have an active playerbase a year down the track. It's already hard for me to find ARMS players online a month into the game...However if you have a friend to play with, that's not that big an issue!

Most of the Arms playing I do is indeed local, whenever friends come over or with my partner. I can imagine that for Splatoon (2) it's way more essential to go online, since you need full teams to get the most out of the game. I'll be getting it, by the way.

3 hours ago, eRonin said:

I'll tell you right now Splatoon 2 is far more likely to still have an active playerbase a year down the track. It's already hard for me to find ARMS players online a month into the game...However if you have a friend to play with, that's not that big an issue!

This bums me out. I think ARMS seems real fun, but I couldn't justify buying it at full price. Hope it goes for a good Christmas sale.

I have no idea how well ARMS is selling, but everyone I foist it on when they come over has a blast. And then usually tells me they won't buy it full price. Which I understand! But it's a shame because it is just SO MUCH FUN.

Played in the splatfest a bit, had some fun but boy do the controls in this game make me mad.

Definitely not a 60E purchase for me, especially given that you can't do local multiplayer without getting a second Switch involved which would be crazy.

I hope Splatoon 2 will get a demo when the game is released. The game looks super fun but I want to make sure that I can get comfortable with the controls before buying the game. I tried one of the earlier test things for like 20 minutes, but had no idea what was going on and random matches did not seem like a great place to experiment with the controls, control schemes (?) and the game mechanics. I'm not a huge fan of competitive multiplayer shooters, especially console ones, but maybe Splatoon doesn't feel overly competitive. I liked Overwatch quite a bit.

16 hours ago, Nappi said:

I hope Splatoon 2 will get a demo when the game is released. The game looks super fun but I want to make sure that I can get comfortable with the controls before buying the game. I tried one of the earlier test things for like 20 minutes, but had no idea what was going on and random matches did not seem like a great place to experiment with the controls, control schemes (?) and the game mechanics. I'm not a huge fan of competitive multiplayer shooters, especially console ones, but maybe Splatoon doesn't feel overly competitive. I liked Overwatch quite a bit.

A demo for Splatoon 2 will likely be another limited-time multiplayer offering with limited options, it's what they did in the past with Splatoon 1. The default controls really clicked with me way back when I started playing Splatoon 1's testfire, so I was instantly hooked on the game. For someone who doesn't like the motion aiming though, it's hard to recommend the game. You can play without motion but you might have a rough time anyway.

Yeah, the motion controls were the issue for me, but I did not play long enough to find out whether it was just a question of getting used to them or whether the analog controls would have been better for me. I did not want to ruin other players matches in the short testfire period by experimenting with the controls.

Well, I couldn't resist buying the game. I played through the first set of single player missions and the controls feel quite comfortable to me already. I still occasionally forget either the right analog stick or the motion controls.

Haven't dared to play any multiplayer yet...

Well, 3 of my buddies picked it up so I caved. Hit me up for some multiplayer.

Also, it's bonkers that Salmon Run is pretty much local only - how is that not just an online mode?

3 hours ago, YoThatLimp said:

Well, 3 of my buddies picked it up so I caved. Hit me up for some multiplayer.

Also, it's bonkers that Salmon Run is pretty much local only - how is that not just an online mode?

It's not, you can do it online (solo or with friends) by going to a shack to the left of the... uh main central elevator lookin thing where you do versus matches.