For what it's worth, the best extra minigame is the Squid Racing minigame. I was really excited for the squid beats, but it feels like the actual game part was just an after-thought with the music. there's no fail state, so you just play endlessley. Squid Jump is fun, but requires a lot of skill to master, and can be too fiddly at times, and the game can feel too imprecicse for me to wholly enjoy, but it feels like there's some real depth behind it, that I've yet to understand.

Finally, the school outfit for the girl is darn cute, and the best reason to get the girl amiibo.

I jumped in a few matches with you before uni this morning! Matching school uniform outfits yay! I still haven't finished the single player yet though so I can't get all the amiibo outfits (plus I only bought the girl amiibo). Does anyone know if one amiibo can unlock content on multiple Wii U consoles?

I just posted in the NNID exchange thread, but yall should friend me on WiiU because I just got inked. I just... like a tattoo? I got inked. I purchased this game let's play it.

NNID: natellite

I was playing online with a friend and just saw ranked battles go live, and at the same time a new map was introduced and new guns were unlocked, and all with one of those squid sisters cinematics to introduce the changes. It was kind of cool seeing it all happen seamlessly and with a unique introduction. Deep down inside i know it's just on-disc stuff being artificially metered out, but part of me is really digging Nintendo's vision for how to handle this stuff.

Also, joining friends definitely seems to break any skill-matching going on, i suddenly found myself in a string of matches where i was going like 15/0 with the highest score and was feeling kind of terrible about it.

I would argue there is no such thing as a serious competitive game that isn't enhanced by actually being able to talk to your teammates. I would argue this vehemently and without ever backing down.

I haven't been playing Splatoon, but I have to take issue with this comment. There are definitely game that don't necessarily completely disallow talking to your teammates, but do limit communication strictly. Tabletop games are what I'm think of mostly here - stuff like Hanabi and The Resistance.

EDIT: And I just saw that this was addressed with the Bridge comment. Ignore me, then.

I would argue this vehemently without ever backing down!

I don't consider something like The Resistance to be a "serious competitive game", and also I was pretty much exclusively thinking of video games at the time. To date, most of those types board game conventions just don't carry over well into video games for whatever reason. (That reason usually being players being unwilling to buy into the spirit of the game, and instead exploiting things like voice chat.)

True but Splatoon is a team based, objective focused multi player shooter. These are more fun with good communication with cool people.

edit: dammit I'm taking to Tberton

Oh, I wasn't making a point about Splatoon, just addressing the generality of Twig's comment.

Oh, I haven't been able to play the last two nights. What's everyone's impression of the Ranked Matches?

Ranked play is intense, and it could either be over really quickly (less than 2 minutes), or be drawn out even longer than a regular turf war (5 minutes or more, with overtime). You should familiarise yourself with how the timer works and what constitutes zone control. If I understand correctly, covering a certain % of the rectangular zone automatically gives you 100% of it, but if your opponent manages to cover 50% of the zone, your timer will stop counting down. One of the teams will then have to contest the zone again to get to that % that gives them control. When control changes hands, the team that previously held the zone will receive a penalty and have time added to their countdown.

Ultimately the game ends when one team manages to deplete their countdown to 0, in which case they will receive all the points and their opponent receives NOTHING. OR the global game timer will hit 0 and whoever controlled the zone for a longer period of time will win. In the latter scenario, both teams will receive some points, with a large bonus being given to the winner. Overall, on average you will receive many more points than turf wars (1800 points to every winning member of a team for a cleansweep), but getting 0 points for a loss really stings.

Oh man, I didn't know ranked matches were now a thing! I guess I know what I'm doing tonight!

Have any of you guys tried staring at Cala and Mari in the home hub bit yet? If you do it long enough they do a very patronising wave to you, and it's hilarious.

I jumped in a few matches with you before uni this morning! Matching school uniform outfits yay! I still haven't finished the single player yet though so I can't get all the amiibo outfits (plus I only bought the girl amiibo). Does anyone know if one amiibo can unlock content on multiple Wii U consoles?

Oh man I didn't notice! Sorry! I tried joining your game the night before but to no avail! I'll look out for you next time! Were you in the match where we won by 0.1%? Pretty intense stuff!

Conversely to all of you guys, I really like the skatepark. It fits the theme of the game the best, and transforming into a squid and jumping up ramps is the best. Also that central tower is a really great advantage point to hold, and you can pull off some really neat tricks in order to gain control of it. I absolutely love this game.

I played two ranked matches. One my team got zero points. The next, my team got 100 points. I don't know if I'm good or terrible.

Ahhh, I wonder how long will I still have to wait for my game to come from UK to Finland. I really hope it comes during this week.

I want to join the battles and start leveling up already. I need to hunt down the inkling girl amiibo, I got already waiting in Japan at the wife's parents place the inkling boy and squid amiibos, but can't get those before October...

I got my amiibos last night and was going to buy Splatoon to celebrate but then I cooked chili instead.

TONIGHT, THOUGH!

Ranked Battle is *super interesting*, because the Penalty that gets levied on teams can completely sway the match. I've only played one so far, and we were getting trounced (something like 100 to 24), and then we capped the zone.

Note: penalty only gets enforced if the other team *captures* the zone after making it neutral. A neutral state enforces no penalty on either team.

Either way, the other team got smacked with a +70 penalty (!!!) and my team ending up holding the point until the end of the game. Chargers become *insanely crucial*, and I think the Splatterscope becomes a Good Choice for the first time... ever? Since zoning is infinitely more important, longer range chargers that can lay down ink trails to stall opponents are viable, even though in Regular Battle the points they accrue aren't as valuable. MY TIME HAS COME

I did notice that the roller was a waste of space in the ranked matches. It's a complete dead weight. 

WHY DO I SUCK SO MUCH WITH THE CHARGER?! I love the idea of hiding and sniping, but I can't hit a thing with that goddamn gun. 

I hated the charger...until I got the Splatterscope. And then this destruction happened in Ranked: 

IvGE77p.jpg

Somehow their level 20 player with aerospray did terribly. Also their sniper kept getting countersniped by me, so we shut them down pretty hard.

So I've been collecting all the Sunken Scrolls in single-player, which give you tiny pieces of flavour text and artwork that serve to contextualize the setting, and holy shit.

Splatoon takes place in a postapocalyptic hellscape.

cnGcp5X.jpg

A follow-up:

Judd, the stupid referee cat from the results screen, is the last terrestrial mammal on earth and was cryogenically frozen for 10,000 years.

What the fuck is this game?

Oh, also:

rFOiX1R.jpg

THE RIDICULOUS CONTROLLER IS CANON

Don't make me choose between Fallout and Splatoon. I don't think I'll be happy with my answer.

rFOiX1R.jpg

THE RIDICULOUS CONTROLLER IS CANON

So, I just noticed something about this image. In the ridiculous controller at the top, the a, down and ZL + ZR are all highlighted in red on that image. Maybe it was meant to be a hint at how you can unlock that mode? It would make sense for Nintendo to put it in as a fun little extra, and then decide to spill the beans any ways to get more likes. Now I want to scour every scroll page to find more hidden junk.

Also, the flip book thing on the bottom right of the page is the best. I love Nintendo.

So what's the final verdict when it comes to walls?

I was under the impression, that if you can't see it on the map, it doesn't count towards the score. I've heard other people, including the Giant Bomb crew saying that walls do count. 

I just don't know what to believe any more.

There was also that tie breaker thing where they didn't ink anything, but Judd the Cat still called it 0.1% in favour of a random team! :o

There was also that tie breaker thing where they didn't ink anything, but Judd the Cat still called it 0.1% in favour of a random team! :o

You really can't trust cats.

I'm amazed by all this, why choose post-apocalyptic zombies when you can have squids? Nintendo sure likes to be unique on their stuff.

I really need to limit my playing time of Splatoon, I'm so tired the last couple of days because of this game, my sleeping hours got all fucked up. It's just too hard to stop playing it.

Is there a consensus on which weapons are the best? I bought a bunch of new stuff yesterday to replace my personalized splattershot, but none of them felt really good.

Is there a consensus on which weapons are the best? I bought a bunch of new stuff yesterday to replace my personalized splattershot, but none of them felt really good.

The one you do best with. 

I love the Splattershot with the suction bomb and bazooka, but other people do great with other weapons. I think they're all viable to a certain extent. 

I tested this the other day in the weapons test chamber: it turns out that if you squid in a puddle of ink, you might spread the ink just slightly out of said puddle; not enough to register a tick on your special meter, but you can do it over and over and actually create a full trail all the way across the map. That might have been the cause?

Also, re: walls

I think walls with any curve to them count, but outright flat walls do not. So for example, the steep slopes in Arowana Mall that lead to the side rafters count for points regardless of map visibility, but any walls with hard right angles (most of Urchin Underpass, for example) don't.