SO

I dinged 12 over the weekend, finished the single player (amazinkly fun), finished the Inkling Boy and Girl amiibo challenges (minigames!), started the Squid challenges, and have generally devoted my life to our ink overlords at the expense of Destiny.

Discoveries thus far: I am utter garbage on Skatepark and Urchin Underpass, I am absolutely in love with the New Squiffer (the shorter range charger with MINES), and this game has the worst case of "just one more match" syndrome I have seen in eons. The Iwata Asks they put up is fascinating in terms of development, but moreso than anything else I want to know how they decided on a three minute time limit, because it's PERFECT.

Tips: If you can get the amiibo, I'd do it; the costumes are all two-slot items, and the minigames are great. Also, you get a monetary reward for the non-boss challenges that adds up pretty darn quickly if you roll (HAH) through the challenges. I think it adds up to 15k total, which is not Chump Change.

Also, if I haven't added you from the NNID thread, I'm aprettycooldude and you can bet your biscuits I will be online tonight when Ranked, Port Mackerel, and the Zapper drop.

So I've been collecting all the Sunken Scrolls in single-player, which give you tiny pieces of flavour text and artwork that serve to contextualize the setting, and holy shit.

Splatoon takes place in a postapocalyptic hellscape.

cnGcp5X.jpg

Ha, that's incredible. 

I get a big kick out of how incredibly dark a lot of Nintendo games are if you either really think about them, or dig into the actual lore/story of them. 

I've heard grumblings that the Amiibo actually unlock useful things in this, is there any truth in that?

Medium truth? If you play the game the way I did (single player, one set of challenges, multiplayer), you'll get some clothing that's better than what you can get in the shops at the start, which can give you a bit of an edge. You'll also get a bunch of Cash along the way, which will let you unlock just about every loadout as you level up, without any need for worrying about choosing (I've bought out all the stores every day so far, for reference).

If you dive straight into the multiplayer, you're mostly just unlocking cosmetic options. Unless you shell out (HA) for Super Sea Snails to add slots to them, they're not as good as end-game clothes (two slots as opposed to three).

Note the amiibo are useless until you finish the single player, that is an Important Thing to remember.

SUMMARY: The amiibo are $35 DLC that add 60 fun single-player challenges, three new minigames to play during downtime between matches, fun clothing options, and three weapon skins for the Vanilla Charger, Roller, and Splattershot. These are 100% skins, not new guns, and have the same loadouts as their Super Soaker-lookin' counterparts.

For anyone like me who's interested in trying the two-player local multiplayer but thinks it would be unfair for only one person to be able to use the combination motion control and sticks that the gamepad does, if you go into controller selection and hold down on the d-pad, then hold down B, and then press ZL and ZR, you can unlock... this.

GKwsPdD.jpg

I am dead serious.

The thing that's most hilarious about this is that they still have the wrist strap on. By that logic, shouldn't the regular controller have a wrist strap as well? How about the Wii-U gamepad?

I would love it if Nintendo added a "please watch your surroundings" startup to Battle Dojo with Swinging Wiimote Guy instead swinging that controller/wiimote/shoelace contraption.

People who play LoL and HotS seriously play with mumble / skype / whatever. As will people playing Nintendo's new Lords Management, Splatoon

Absolutely! Which is why I was a bit confused by people claiming no built-in chat automatically meant this was not a serious multiplayer game, way back before it was released.

I'm sure this game would be greatly improved if I could hear twelve-year-olds swearing the entire time instead of the fantastic music.

An aside: Splatoon is the game that's going to make me spring for the extended life gamepad battery

Absolutely! Which is why I was a bit confused by people claiming no built-in chat automatically meant this was not a serious multiplayer game, way back before it was released.

On PC where those games exist people party up and use Mumble or Skype or whatever.

You can't do that on Wii U! I don't understand why that's confusing.

Also, voice chat is always optional. Not like people who don't want it would be forced to use it.

Ok. I can see that.

As for "just disable it", sure and I do most of the time. It's nice, though, to have a serious competitive game that has none *and* doesn't expect me to Skype or whatever and actually makes team play work without it! Hooray!

I would argue there is no such thing as a serious competitive game that isn't enhanced by actually being able to talk to your teammates. I would argue this vehemently and without ever backing down.

As much as I love this game, lag and people dropping out are real killers to the enjoyment of it all. I've had a spat of great matches, only to be ruined by people who have the most atrocious lag. And I guess they know it too, because they always choose rollers, and it always looks like they're rolling through your ink with no ink trail, and they always kill you after you've shot them a bunch, when they're miles away, and then they inexplicably die (usually because they've just recieved my damage I delt them) just after I do. It's bullshit.

Also a guy dropping out is like 1/4 of your firepower gone, and it's a sure-sign of you losing that match.

An aside: Splatoon is the game that's going to make me spring for the extended life gamepad battery

Do it. I have one, and it's insane how much better the battery life is. So much so I'm baffled as to why they haven't included it as the default out-of-the-box battery.

As N1njaSquirrel said, do it do it do it. Splatoon is the game that made me spring (I also bought the Wii U LAN Adapter so I can be Not That Lag Guy), and both of those were Solid Purchases.

I would argue there is no such thing as a serious competitive game that isn't enhanced by actually being able to talk to your teammates. I would argue this vehemently and without ever backing down.

Bridge, which even has some semi-ridiculous table devices to eliminate communication between partners. 

Bridge, which even has some semi-ridiculous table devices to eliminate communication between partners.

One of major complaints of players to the screen procedure is that it reduces the social dimension of the game, reducing all communication to the card play. Of course, that is their very purpose.

My current game: figure out what language this awkward sentence is clearly translated from. My best guess is Italian.

My current game: figure out what language this awkward sentence is clearly translated from. My best guess is Italian.

Very possible, as I think it is a fairly popular game there.  I have never played Bridge in my life, but I'm fascinated by the culture that surrounds both amateur clubs and high level play.  Also, it has things like "infamous foot tapping scandals."

Screens were first introduced in Bermuda Bowl competition in 1975, at the home venue in Bermuda; however, they didn't prevent the infamous foot-tapping scandal involving two Italian players. Following that event, screens used in high-level events extend under the table to the floor forming a barrier running diagonally between two table legs.

Bridge sounds like the kind of game I would hate. But yes there are games that explicitly prohibit communication between teammates. I think those kinds of games are infinitely less interesting. At any rate, Splatoon is not one of them.

Bridge is like the Dark Souls of old lady card games.  Looks simple, but has impenetrable mechanics that some people become obsessed with, is also full of low level twinks and people take it way too seriously.

Okay, sorry for the Bridge derail, please, carry on with the Splatoon talk. 

You're also in a convenient position in which there aren't really any slurs that apply to you.

I think Twig's argument assumes that you are with like-minded players and not Angry Randos. Lord knows the last thing I desire is always-on voice chat, but I would be 100% down with a Wii U Party Chat a la the PS4's system (hook it to your Friend List). I'd be surprised if Nintendo doesn't patch it in (or ~enable the on disc functionality~ if you are a Splatoon DLC conspiracy theorist), with the August update that adds custom games.

I would like to note, though, that the PS4 having the microphone in the camera turned on by default was my favorite thing for those opening months where I could hear children yelling at their parents about dinner during rounds of Killzone (which also had Party Chat turned on by default).

SUMMARY: The amiibo are $35 DLC that add 45 fun single-player challenges, three new minigames to play during downtime between matches, fun clothing options, and three weapon skins for the Vanilla Charger, Roller, and Splattershot. These are 100% skins, not new guns, and have the same loadouts as their Super Soaker-lookin' counterparts.

Cool, thanks! I note Japan gets the squid on its own whereas Europe didn't and I'm placing an import order anyway but I'll save myself the £15 I think.

You're also in a convenient position in which there aren't really any slurs that apply to you.

This is true, but, as aprettycooldude points out, I'm not talking about random buttwads on the internet!

Cool, thanks! I note Japan gets the squid on its own whereas Europe didn't and I'm placing an import order anyway but I'll save myself the £15 I think.

Oh I didn't even think about the difference between Squid/Boy/Girl (also, I forgot 5 missions per amiibo, so it's 60 total, whoops). Here's the further breakdown:

(Note: clothes are not gender locked!)

Inkling Boy:

- 20 Single Player Challenges - Complete Various Stages with Splat Roller

- Samurai Helmet (Head)

- Samurai Armor (Shirt)

- Samurai Greaves (Shoes)

- Squid Race Minigame

- Hero Splat Roller (Splat Roller skin based on Single Player gear aesthetic)

Inkling Girl:

- 20 Single Player Challenges - Complete Various Stages with Splat Charger

- Dove Hairpin (Head)

- School Outfit (Shirt)

- School Shoes (Shoes)

- Squid Jump Minigame

- Hero Splat Charger (Splat Charger skin based on Single Player gear aesthetic)

Squid:

note these are assumptions based on previous footage, as I've only finished 4/20 challenges

- 20 Single Player Challenges - Complete stages with unlimited Kraken and time limit, or with limited ink refills

- Mech Head (Head)

- Mech Suit (Shirt)

- Mech Shoes (Shoes)

- Squid Beats Minigame

- Hero Shot (the one from Single Player, upgrades DO NOT carry over, it's a Splattershot skin)

For what it's worth, the best extra minigame is the Squid Racing minigame. I was really excited for the squid beats, but it feels like the actual game part was just an after-thought with the music. there's no fail state, so you just play endlessley. Squid Jump is fun, but requires a lot of skill to master, and can be too fiddly at times, and the game can feel too imprecicse for me to wholly enjoy, but it feels like there's some real depth behind it, that I've yet to understand.

Finally, the school outfit for the girl is darn cute, and the best reason to get the girl amiibo.