Gaizokubanou

Project SSDC; Action-Strategy Hybrid Early Alpha

So most members of Idle probably don't remember but I've been mentioning game I'm working on and here is really short and really early footage of it, WIP and all.

This is truly the earliest of alpha.  There are hardly any UI.  Almost all the assets you see are placeholders.  But I figure it has to be shown at some point so I guess its current broken stage would do fine.

It's super short video due to using freebie fraps.  Any thoughts (so long as they are not super mean) are welcome.  Please just don't kill me.

I only had a super quick look at this (as I'm at work) but that video is cool! And the jetpack part looks so nice. You've done well with the presentation given how WIP everything is.

I only had a super quick look at this (as I'm at work) but that video is cool! And the jetpack part looks so nice. You've done well with the presentation given how WIP everything is.

Thank you~ it is super WIP and doesn't really get to show much of the gameplay but glad you liked what little I had to show for it so far :D

Still busy working on invisible under the hood stuff but for now here is the overhauled impression shot~

The game will primarily be about connecting existing cities and having such actions causing domino effect of sort based on city's cultures and personality but not much more I can say beyond that since I have to test the system more to see if it's anything remotely like what I was thinking of... wish me luck~

2qE1FcJ.jpg?1

Seems interesting; I tend to like games that combine strategy layers with smaller-scale combat. Let me know if you need a playtester!

I most certainly will! thanks~ :)

wow who knew just keeping up with simple dev blog or even just dev posts of sort would be this difficult...

Anyways, I've been reading around and read a blog by Tom Francis (of Gunpoint fame) on natural numbers and it got my head spinning on design.  I am pretty excited about new design direction but I suppose there is not much more I can say until I actually wrap it all up.

Diplomacy remains such an awkward concept to realize as ever.

I missed this thread initially but it looks nice from the video! Did you do the art yourself? Interested to hear what you have in mind for the strategy mechanics.

Also keeping up the dev logs certainly is tough sometimes.

Art was done by https://twitter.com/keiiii4 ~ and even the screenshot is pretty outdated as of right now.

Thanks for checking in BTW, I'll update as soon as the strategy mechanic has some meat to it.  Also the way battle works has dramatically changed (it went from 7 tiles simulation into 1 on 1 to now 19 tiles simulation) so I need to make a new video on that.

Today I learned how to shave off about 600mb of vram usage in the game.

I'm also butthurt that in doing so, lot of this hoops I've been jumping through for map generation was completely pointless and wasteful.

Dang I've been really bad on updating here, a big update is coming soon though and I'm pretty excited about just showing it off the game actually being played but for now I have to fix some crashes 8*)

UPDATES:

Here is raw footage of this janky ass game... I mean it's janky but at the same time, it works and I'm pretty stoked about it.

WARNING: During the AI turn the camera will zip around the map so if you are sensitive to flickering imagery, please be advised or just watch from 4:03 (

) which captures the meat of the game in minimum time.

For others here is the raw 4:39 of the game being played.

Yes, ships now turn and move and shoot whole lot of stuff, cities are bunch of tubes now (when cities grow they even have this pretty neat parallax scrolling effect).  Still stuck on most basic mechs but more high tech stuff are coming.

About the production... previously I messed around with whole lot of ways but right now I'm pretty set on this idea of bulk production where you choose to produce a 'batch' of units.  I'm planning the batch to be fixed in tech/tier and size but actual content be random within those two parameters.  Also kinda important detail is that it is faction wide, like you don't build things on cities or specific locations.  Instead all cities pool their production together which give you production slots (which should go on the right side where the white box currently is).  I really like how this streamlines ton of stuff and removes all mid game slog but I am itching for some sort of busywork :/

Also about the map... that map you see is completely random and I'm not very happy with it.  Unless I learn how to code some good random map generator, I'll probably switch to authored map :/

Here is the big question I have for everyone... is this game too fucking weird, like would it offend both strategy/action gamers cause it contains both?

UPDATE 2:

Someone off forum mentioned that perhaps game needs more player involvement during battle like say tactical control while paused or something and I totally get that worry especially when battle starts to scale up cause player involvement is designed around 1ship v 1ship and I really want a way to scale up player influence somehow...

One thought I had in mind was to give ships big old guns and let player dictate their fire support patters while paused or something, it's highly scalable and not micro nightmare-ish (imagine trying to micro the mechs lol) so I'm very keen on this possible solution.

UPDATE 3:

hmm noo it should be an active ability-like thing that has to be timed.  Setting it up once early in the battle still leaves player kinda empty handed in the thick of it.