Jake

Idle Thumbs 209: Ten Percent Success Rate

"A Shitload of Blums" is the Clint Eastwood/Jeff Goldblum buddy comedy that was never meant to be.

With both of their voices overdubbed by Steve Blum, naturally.

The Firewatch wallpaper was a nice find, but I think you buried the lede:

j-allard.jpg

One weird trick discovered by a cool uncle!

I was a bit tired when I read the show description so "... Jest, Gardenarium..." became Jeff Gerstmann in my brain.

I think I need to play streaming Pikmin 2 multiplayer with the Thumbs now.

j-allard.jpg

This is one of the best pictures ever.

Anyone have a good link to the hilarious-sounding GTA V taxi driver videos? I can't seem to find any that don't have someone talking over it.

Here is the link to the original reddit post, with a bunch of videos

At one point in the cast, Danielle mentioned how silly the names of video games are when they've been created for television episodes, but I have a feeling if you were to be able to see modern actual video game titles from some distance, they're equally as baffling. I mean, Danielle herself talked about some game called Will Fight for Food: Super Actual Sellout: Game of the Hour last week, which I know is intentionally dumb, but still. Flappy Bird is the name of a game that people are ok with. Just looking at modern game titles, I discovered there's a game called Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory Re;Birth 3: V Century. There is no way that hollywood screenwriters can create dumber video game titles than we give them ourselves.

Danielle recounting her experience at Gary Danko's reminded me of going out to eat at a fancy hotel restaurant recently in Chicago - both my friend and I felt fabulously out of place, both of us not dressed up as fancily. However, both of us know enough about food (myself in particular) to wing our way through cocktails, shared appetizer course and dinner. We were super nice to our server and when we ordered dessert, we had her bring over a bottle of white wine that paired well with the sorbet we were eating. 

It was fun and we gave our server a huge tip. As long as you are nice to the waitstaff, they literally don't care about you not being as "fancy" but it is really hard to deal with sometimes. You definitely feel not necessarily a class imbalance but definitely "out of place." No matter how much I read up on this stuff or learn about food culture, the opulence of the elite of restaurant dining is just beyond me.

Gary Danko's is the least fancy sounding name for a fancy place I've heard. Probably doesn't help that it's half my name.

Okay, other note: Doing Disneyland after Blizzcon was a horrific fucking idea and I am never doing it again. It is a pretty popular thing to do - to take advantage of Disneyland's proximity to the Anaheim Convention Center by going after or before Blizzcon (also known as Blizzneycon). Going before Blizzcon is probably breezy and joyful. Going after you've been tromping around the concrete jungle that is Anaheim in a smelly, huge convention center with other nerds is horrible. My friend's wife wanted to do Disneyland after we did Blizzcon and since they were my ride home, I was obligated to go. My feet were horrifically tired after walking around at Blizzcon, I don't like kids and it was really hot since we went during the heat of the day. I was so exhausted that I slept most of the way from California to Arizona. 

j-allard.jpg

No picture has ever embodied the phrase "Be the change you want to see in the world" more.

COME ON GUYS IT'S GARY DANKO NOT GARY DANKO'S GEEZ

Sorry, I'm from NY, you don't have a restaurant that's JUST a name with no possession. 

No picture has ever embodied the phrase "Be the change you want to see in the world" more.

I think you might be right.

COME ON GUYS IT'S GARY DANKO NOT GARY DANKO'S GEEZ

In my mind it keeps transforming into "Gary's Dank O," a poorly-named mmj dispensary.

The stories about shared asset weirdness reminded me of something that I noticed, also having to do with BioWare, but not in the creepy way it happens in The Old Republic or Dragon Age: Mass Effect conversation body language.

I've played hundreds of hours of the Mass Effect games, and when characters are in conversation mode, there seems to be a common pool of animations that every character uses (as long as they're humanoid). I actually have a couple favorites: a half-step backwards with a slight shoulder-shake as a character settles into a hip-cock, and drawing a flat hand up to the opposite shoulder and then a quick diagonally-downward chop to emphasize something being said. Every time I recognize an animation, there's a quiet cheer in the back of my head as if a cult-film-goer just heard a classic line of dialog.

At least some of those animations have made their way into Dragon Age: Inquisition, and it was kind of strange to see medieval warriors using gestures that have been cemented in my mind as things weird space people do.

J Allard Bike Hunter is a solid game concept.

The other thing about Dragon Age two is you have this very old port city, but the inside of every house is like a condo complex with one layout. 

Sorry, I'm from NY, you don't have a restaurant that's JUST a name with no possession. 

Haha, even Heidelberg, named after the town Heidelberg, will commonly be referred to as Heidelberg's.

That's just how we do shit. Even the website for Peter Luger refers to it as Peter Luger's half the time.

Is there an article about the weird/creepy body re-use in The Old Republic?  I tried to do a couple of searches, but didn't come up with anything. 

Haha, even Heidelberg, named after the town Heidelberg, will commonly be referred to as Heidelberg's.

That's just how we do shit. Even the website for Peter Luger refers to it as Peter Luger's half the time.

Yep, I ate at Peter Luger...'s and it was really great but I had no idea it was Peter Luger until just now. THAT'S JUST HOW THIS SHIT WORKS. 

I guess Infinite Jest is next on my reading list after I finish the entire works of Lovecraft and a re-read of ASOIAF.  LONG BOOKS ONLY IN 2015.

I hope Danielle does decide to finish Bloodborne.  If not, I'll have to bump up my Bloodbeef Riendeau run...as soon as I finish my Sorcery run of Dark Souls.