Rob Zacny

Episode 305: Kim Kanger and French Colonial Wargaming

This week, Bruce Geryk hosts Kim Kanger, designer of Dien Bien Phu: The Final Gamble, as well as a series of wargames covering France's 20th century colonial wars. They discuss the appeal and importance of the wars in Algeria and Southeast Asia, as well as the unique challenges of designing games around them. 

Listen

Interesting episode. Any chance that the next installment of your Dien Bien Phu video series will be out soon, Bruce?

Interesting episode. Any chance that the next installment of your Dien Bien Phu video series will be out soon, Bruce?

I plan to post it within the next week.  This interview was actually recorded over a month ago, but I wanted to hold it until closer to the second video release.

Thanks for this, Bruce. I especially appreciate your getting into a sort of 'designer's notes' nuts and bolts discussion of Kim's games. I thought it was perceptive to mention the narrative quality of these games. Part of it is probably due to the 'romantic' locations of the settings, but Ici c'est la France, Tonkin, and Dien Bien Phu have some of the strongest narrative qualities I have found in hex and counter wargames. Tonkin, in particular, just oozes theme to me. I also can't imagine a design on the subject with more illusion of realism than Tonkin. I have sat and pondered the map and units for long periods of time while playing, and I believe the game has deepened my understanding of the time and place.

Dien Bien Phu and Ici, like Tonkin, almost feel to me like half book/ half game. It's a bit mysterious to me why that is, but it may have something to do with the great books that have been written on these subjects (A Savage War of Peace, The Last Valley, Hell in a Very Small Place, Street Without Joy, etc). Whatever the reasons, Kanger has designed three of my favorite recent games, two of which I think are highly original. (I also think Ici is quite original, but I'm guessing it was influenced a fair bit by Brian Train's Algeria game)

I really enjoyed the interview, and I look forward to your next video on Kanger's Dien Bien Phu game. I would advise anyone interested in the subject to pick it up - as Bruce said, it is quite beautiful, and it is a unique take on the battle.

but I'm guessing it was influenced a fair bit by Brian Train's Algeria game

In fact, not at all. I don't own that game and I don't know its system. Ici was created out of a blank sheet of paper. The biggest influences are "A Savage War of Peace" (of course), it was the main source for my chits, and David Galula's "Pacification in Algeria 1956-1958". A very interesting book. My system of insurgency mainly derives from it. You can download it for free from the header here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/?50@@.1dd2d9c2

Kim, I stand corrected! I have Brian's game, but have not played it yet, just read over the rules. I really like the added flavor, or chrome, in Ici, which adds quite a bit to the feeling of historical narrative.

I really enjoyed the interview, and I look forward to your next video on Kanger's Dien Bien Phu game.

Thanks - just to clarify, the next video will be on Paul Rohrbaugh's game La vallée de la mort.  I still have a couple games to cover before I get to Kim's masterpiece.

good episode. I have played Storm Over Dien Bien Phu and read A Street Without Joy. I might pick up one of the Legion titles sooner or later.

also, great film on Algiers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-7j4WVTgWc

I look forward to the videos, i have played one Rohrbaugh game on Operation Goodwood, so interested to see your take on his work.

Thanks for the post and the movie, Duke.  The next video is planned for a Monday 5/18 posting, although I have to work all weekend.