Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 29: Miss Twin Peaks

If I had one specific gripe it's that for its focus on lore I can't believe they abandoned the chess metaphor. They build it up, Earl accused Coop of cheating when he really isn't and then Earl totally abandons the chess thing?

It seems that the writers just got tired of it and realized they didn't know how to script chess moves (in the absence of Mark Frost, who initially came up with the idea):

'According to TP writer and

producer Harley Peyton, Frost quickly lost interest in the

game and the rest of the writers plotted the moves with

sporadic advice from the "self-ordained chess experts" on

the set: "We weren't as exact as we should have been," he

said. "It became a pain in the ass."'

http://www.twinpeaks.org/faqeps.htm#e38 (great collection of FAQ from the old alt.tv.twin-peaks group)

I can't follow people off handedly referring to chess moves when it shows up as a trope in movies/TV without seeing some sort of visual representation, so they could have kept bullshitting moves and I wouldn't have noticed personally.

Man, there are so many plot threads during twin peaks that it just feels like someone pulled the eject lever on. For instance, everyone is glad that Lucy picked a father and all, but what about the kid that they went so far as to break into an orphanage to get records on, then had the heartwarming speech from the doctor about? I guess they just kicked him back to the curb.

What the heck happened to Gerard?

I guess Hank just went back to prison? We was pretty much the only bad guy left with any credit at this point.

I guess Norma's mother and her husband disappeared at about the same time, one brief confrontation and that's over.

How about that south African lady that tried to assassinate Truman?

Jacoby was such an interesting and weird character in the first season, with one particularly revealing scene with Bobby, which then got tossed to the side and returns to basically be in the background of a few scenes.

*sigh* Not all these plots were good, some were downright bad, but the thing that has infuriated me more than anything else during this rewatch is how much is just tossed into the garbage can without a word.

Man, there are so many plot threads during twin peaks that it just feels like someone pulled the eject lever on.

These are all good observations.  Unfortunately, that's the soap opera way!  It's better to leave dangling threads that you can pick up later instead of wrapping things up.

I have been savoring every Hank-free moment of the end of this season, but you're right that its ridiculous that the character most connected to all the plotlines in Twin Peaks (matching or maybe even beating Laura Palmer) gets a crutch kicked out from under him, then disappears forever.  Tough luck, Hank!

This is where I stopped watching last time, not because I didn't like it, in fact I've no idea why I stopped with one to go. I'm silly.

Why wouldn't they just stop the pageant?

Anybody else find it really jarring that Lucy's actress seems like she's a genuinely skilled dancer? Not in a bad way, it just really caught me off guard.

She is a very well-rounded performer, apparently, who has done a lot of voice-acting work as well. Ready to have your mind blown? She is the voice behind the French-accented feather-duster who is romanced by Lumiere the candlestick in Beauty and the Beast!

She is a very well-rounded performer, apparently, who has done a lot of voice-acting work as well. Ready to have your mind blown? She is the voice behind the French-accented feather-duster who is romanced by Lumiere the candlestick in Beauty and the Beast!

Haha, whoa!

After reading comments: that rehearsal scene is worth a rewatch for these reasons- 

shelly and donna

theres a sandwich

goddamn deer man. 

Man there were whole swathes of terrible in this episode but I can’t imagine it was avoidable given everything in the air with two episodes to go and one of those being IMPORTANT. 

The opening scene was really good. It was nice that Leo sort of redeems himself by thinking of Shelly and freeing garland (aware of his own inability to do so). creepy Earle was also good (although really confusing too). 

Shelly was robbed, but we can see the fix was in from the start with Annie :D

its nice to see Horne and Audrey on decent terms at this point. 

Series 3

Spoiler

Audrey has a really bad next 25 years. :(

Cooper’s leaps are really really really irritating. They seem to exist from nothing to concrete and so much is just STATED that I hate it. that there’s a drawing with two mountains on it and so the inability to decipher this (or even look at it) is really at odds with some of the garboldo coop comes out with and states has a logic to it. The worst is how the twin peaks links to the queen links to a plan that only makes sense sort of?! Bad. 

I actually like earle a fair bit here even though he probably goes a bit too long. His trap for Leo is pretty rude. 

I hate everything with and the story around Lana. 

Coop saying that Annie is an “original” is contradicted by the existence of cooper. 

Coope while ripping all of annie’s clothes off and kissing her: “I want to make love to you”. I know these are some of the most weird humans but come on. 

Annies speech later is surprisingly well considered given the context and time spent on it. 

I feel like nadine is really interesting here (and reflected earlier too). She sees ed as hers (or at least off limits to everyone else) even while she goes off with mike and has adventures. She has a sense of justice which means she can’t publically stop him and Norma being together. It’s a shame that these feelings won’t get resolved properly because she’ll forget most of it when she gets her memories back. 

Series 3

Spoiler

It’s kind of interesting. That nadine acknowledges her possessiveness and desperation to keep ed when she sets him free.  Ed’s life must have been really hard all that time - even though he’s an ass too.

Judy Garland!

Series 3

Spoiler

A few people mentioned that there was a Judy/garland connection because of this name so it’s interesting to see the name explicit in the show itself. 

Could be just another famous name that lynch/frost like to use to name their characters like Gordon Cole, Ben and Jerry and Truman 

Who would open a box using a vice? This has been the stupidest puzzle box in the world. 

Donna is a complete ass in this episode and even when she’s about to get what she wants she runs off on assumptions. Maybe it’s realistic but it feels bad. 

Lucy is clearly the best dancer on the twin peaks cast (female cast at least)

So annoying to see bobby in letch mode again. 

That at last scene was really good disorienting and scary.