Erkki

Painting tabletop miniatures

I'd like to see some larger scale stuff put up by people on here, you need some quite different techniques A friend of mine had been getting into doing larger Forge World stuff by GW and it's been interesting watching him figure stuff out. I've also been thinking of digging up and stripping a old GW Titan

Ok so there are some things which might work but it depends how bad its got.

I have some klear acrylic floor polish (like this) 

4.tb-canopies-clear-parts-pc-johnsons.kl

which i use as a glaze diluent but also can also be used to add to arcylics which have dried out. get something you can still the pot with and add a very small amount of the polish.

The main disadvantage is it can make the paint a little more glossy but in terms of getting it liquid again it works better than water generally

apparently the type i use has been discontinued though and it now sells as pledge multi surface wax

This was marketed as Future Floor Polish here in the US for a long time. It now comes in this bottle:

WprTBGd.jpg

Be sure not to buy the floor wax in the white bottle, as it's not the same product. This isn't a wax, it's an acrylic-based sealer. I originally bought it for clear-coating scale models but I also have used it on my floors and it's great for that as well. It's very good for adding gloss finishes or filling imperfections in transparent pieces such as cockpits or windshields.

I've been working on finishing off a tau etheral model i started 2 years ago then got bored of

post-24580-0-04210700-1459771291_thumb.jpg

also experimenting a bit with this but ..............

post-24580-0-78241000-1459771229_thumb.gif

spin my pretty! spin!

plan is to now do some pretty spectacular object source lighting on this guy which is why i thought id try to get some nice pics in case i mess up royally 

I've been working on finishing off a tau etheral model i started 2 years ago then got bored of

also experimenting a bit with this but ..............

spin my pretty! spin!

plan is to now do some pretty spectacular object source lighting on this guy which is why i thought id try to get some nice pics in case i mess up royally 

Man, you are super talented!

I just finished my 3rd mini, not great but I think better

4RvigZ6.jpg

Anyone know a good place to get Warhammer Fantasy figures from before Games Workshop decided to ruin everything?

almost two years after first posting in this thread i've painted my first miniature

only thing i wanna do is paint the base a color to represent that it's a "walker" in zombicide, but i haven't decided on a color scheme yet so i'll get back to it some other time

twRvNyU.jpg

anyway so now that's that life goal achieved, time to toss it in the garbage

12 hours ago, Twig said:

almost two years after first posting in this thread i've painted my first miniature

only thing i wanna do is paint the base a color to represent that it's a "walker" in zombicide, but i haven't decided on a color scheme yet so i'll get back to it some other time

twRvNyU.jpg

anyway so now that's that life goal achieved, time to toss it in the garbage

Nice clean job, even with the eyes!

Thanks! I did another one.

miIzlbg.jpg

Much like the first zombie, this one's "umber wash" came out very splotchy, but it seems worse and more noticeable on the plain white shirt. Oh well.

EDIT: i just now realized i forgot the glowing eyes oops

I have yet to do any highlighting of any sort because i don't know what to do. Weeee!

I think that looks pretty good! The shield looks a bit splotchy maybe, but I like the armor. O:

I used to paint a fair amount of 40k models. I had a pretty reasonable eldar army for a while. I was probably more into painting and fussing over all the miniatures then I actually was into playing the game. It's one of the only hobbies I've pursued where for some reason I trended towards the aesthetics rather then mechanics. I've recently heard some pretty positive things about Infinity wargaming. Has anyone here played that?

On 2/25/2017 at 6:55 PM, Twig said:

Thanks! I did another one.

miIzlbg.jpg

Much like the first zombie, this one's "umber wash" came out very splotchy, but it seems worse and more noticeable on the plain white shirt. Oh well.

EDIT: i just now realized i forgot the glowing eyes oops

The splotchy-ness looks very zombie like to me. Isn't that part of the point of a wash?

No, the point of a wash, as I understand it, is to fill in the cracks and crevices with a darker color.

See also:

Aq3jO0z.png

The wash settles in the recesses to give them a shaded appearance. It's not supposed to dry all blotchy like on the other guy.

Also typically you're supposed to use same-color washes, but I'm just throwing brown on everything to make the zombies look dirty, obviously.

In case folks don't know, the Crate & Crowbar has started a second some-times podcast about miniatures! The first episode is up and even if you don't listen to it, scroll down on the episode page for some pretty sweet models from Tom and Chris' collections (they are both doing Age of Sigmar at present).

http://crateandcrowbar.com/2017/02/28/miniatures-monthly-001-tiny-plastic-people/

On 2017-02-28 at 8:17 AM, darthbator said:

I used to paint a fair amount of 40k models. I had a pretty reasonable eldar army for a while. I was probably more into painting and fussing over all the miniatures then I actually was into playing the game. It's one of the only hobbies I've pursued where for some reason I trended towards the aesthetics rather then mechanics. I've recently heard some pretty positive things about Infinity wargaming. Has anyone here played that?

Not played that no, but Shut Up and Sit Down has had a nice article and "Let's play" of it.

Semi-related to that though is that me and some colleagues have been playing a Kill Team (Skirmish)-variant of WH40K made by some folks calling themselves Heralds of Ruin. It's pretty fun with it's smaller forces where each model acts independently, coherency be damned.

boy howdy is that C&C Minis podcast giving me the Plastic Thirst. I haven't properly painted or played a minis game since my kids were born but maybe...

maayyyyyybe... 

sweats profusely

those zombies suck i hate em

i'm all right with these trollblood whelps tho!!

i got out my good camera and everything!

i think goggles boy is my fav

Trollblood Whelp 3

i'm bad at highlighting but

i'm done with these guys i'll get better with someone else

hey i finished my trollblood bouncer

Trollblood Bouncer Front

Trollblood Bouncer Back

I'm not very happy with the leather butt cape, but it looks fifty times better than it did before i painted it over and rewashed it HA HA HAAAAAAAAA ugh

i AM very happy with the metal armor, though!!!

i painted some pyg burrowers and this time i tried to do a GLAZE or ten for smoother blending of highlights

i think it's better than on the whelps (although there's a part of me that likes the idea of hard-lined highlights)

i'm tempted to redo bouncer's leather butt cape so it looks less butt now that i know how it should work, but i probably won't

anyway

https://www.flickr.com/photos/togglesworlh/

i wanna post em all individually but i'll restrict myself to LEADER and ACTUALLY A SMURF

Leader

Hat Boy

i want to set up a proper photography area but might as well wait until i move to new apartment

god the more pictures i take the more i think "these are undeserving of closeup photos"

anyway whatever

Braylen Wanderheart from the Front

Braylen Wanderheart from the Other Side

Braylen Wanderheart from the Side

BRAYLEN IS MY FAVORITE TROLLBLOOD TO DATE

I LOVE HER SHE IS THE BEST AND MOST COOLEST