Erkki

Painting tabletop miniatures

Thanks for the equipment run down! My wife picked me up Star Wars: Imperial Assault for my bday and I really want to paint all of these minis, perfect timing! 

Just to give you guy's some extra resources to read up on when you actually get the brushes out here's a links to one of my favourite mini painting blogs's tutorial section

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/tutorial-overview.html#basics

along with some of the best articles to read through to get yourself started

kongs-priming-thoughts

how-to-wet-palette-2.0

basic techniques

tutorial painting true metallic metal

tutorial-how-to-paint-blood

tutorial-weathering-overview

there's a huge amount of info on that site plus some astonishing paint jobs

Nice. Today I put a bunch of this junk in my Amazon shopping cart. Can't afford it until next paycheck, but it's not as pricey as I was expecting, so that's good!

btw would love to see how you guys get on with your various projects, I've been really slacky painting wise recently and maybe seeing some peoples projects taking shape will motivate me to push myself again

Ordered a paint set and some basic supplies, going to tackle my Stormtroopers from my Imperial Assault game first, very excited! Everything should be here Wednesday so should be able to tuck in this weekend! I need to grab some primer and matte lacquer from the craft store by me.

Ten days 'til I'm gonna buy this junk!!!

I just realized I don't really have a... place to do the painting, though. I don't have a table for it. My computer desk is full of computer. ):

Ten days 'til I'm gonna buy this junk!!!

I just realized I don't really have a... place to do the painting, though. I don't have a table for it. My computer desk is full of computer. ):

Yeah, space might be a bit difficult. I have a small plastic folding table I might commandeer.

Still thinking about doing the zombies?

Yeah I think that would be smartest, not to mention easiest. Maybe. I dunno, it turns out I have a TON of minis in my apartment, haha.

Yeah I think that would be smartest, not to mention easiest. Maybe. I dunno, it turns out I have a TON of minis in my apartment, haha.

Yeah, that might be a problem for me as well!

Have you seen these excellent youtube videos?

I need to go get some white primer tonight, I think I am going to go with Krylon matte white. Did you decide on a primer Twig?

I am going to only do  the 3 Stormtroopers at a time as I can buy more if I fuck up too bad!

Man, I got busy with other things and almost forgot that I wanted to get into painting minis. This equipment list looks really cool, Codicier, now it's on my mind again. Maybe I'll start during

Damn, these miniatures are...well mini.

I though the wash I had was black wash but it was a more black/brown, did not find out until after I applied it. I'll go back and do the highlights and see how it looks. I HAVE to get better at spraying primer, I am writing these three figures off as a learning experiment. I lose a ton of detail in the face when I sprayed which is a real bummer. Thankfully Imperial Assault just came out with an expansion set of stormtroopers so I can replace the ones I kind of messed up!

I'll post pics so you can laugh. 

The first figure is pretty rough tbh, I need to go back and add some detail today. 

two big things I learned:

1. The thinner the paint the better

2. Don't have too much paint on the brush. 

Stripping paint is actually pretty easy.  There are various ways to do it but I think I would just leave figures in simple green overnight then scrub them with a toothbrush.  You just have to make sure that whatever you are using to strip the paint doesn't melt whatever your figures are made of.

Stripping paint is actually pretty easy.  There are various ways to do it but I think I would just leave figures in simple green overnight then scrub them with a toothbrush.  You just have to make sure that whatever you are using to strip the paint doesn't melt whatever your figures are made of.

Thanks, I am going to try that! I need to go back to the plastic and re-apply the primer again

So, I just decided to dig out my citadel paints and try this again. They're about 3 years old at this point and thankfully haven't dried out completely, but they are a bit thick and gloopy. Is there anything I can add to them? I was thinking water, but I also have some acrylic paint thinner I use to liquify my canvas paints some.

Not much you can do when they start drying out. The Citadel paints I got in the early 90s closed like a safe. Very hard to open, and the latch thingie usually broke off. But they were still OK 15 years later. :P

So, I just decided to dig out my citadel paints and try this again. They're about 3 years old at this point and thankfully haven't dried out completely, but they are a bit thick and gloopy. Is there anything I can add to them? I was thinking water, but I also have some acrylic paint thinner I use to liquify my canvas paints some.

Ok so there are some things which might work but it depends how bad its got.

I have some klear acrylic floor polish (like this) 

4.tb-canopies-clear-parts-pc-johnsons.kl

which i use as a glaze diluent but also can also be used to add to arcylics which have dried out. get something you can still the pot with and add a very small amount of the polish.

The main disadvantage is it can make the paint a little more glossy but in terms of getting it liquid again it works better than water generally

apparently the type i use has been discontinued though and it now sells as pledge multi surface wax

Most of my colors are still viable, so I'm going to take a shot at using Vallejo Matte Medium on my two pots that are close to mud consistency. It was a fairly cheap pickup on Amazon and I think it's pretty close to that acrylic polish you pictured. At worst, I just have to re-buy those colors.

post-24580-0-88372800-1452008036_thumb.jpg

Tried to get started again with a bit of work on some pieces from the Spartacus board game

The concept I'm working towards is to make them look like a series of gladiator statues since i don't feel they have enough detail to look good if i tried to do actual skin tones

I'm working very slowly down from sprayed a pure bronze (The model with the net on the left has had nothing done except the spray) using a green glaze made of party black ink, party green wash and dash of dark green paint mixed with some gloss medium and flow enhancer with the intent of getting a more worked and weathered look (as hopefully evidenced by the guy on the right.

Needs a few more layers of glaze plus some spot highlights to enhance the contrast i think plus some weathering effects and maybe a marble effect base but I'm happy at the general direction it's heading in

Looking good! I wonder if you could add oxidization to the pieces, it might be hard to get that right though.

bronze.jpg

I need to get back on this horse, I'm going to strip those three storm troopers and try again. This time I will try my best to make sure to not be heavy handed with the primer!

I'm planning to add some light oxidation as a final step, i won't go to far though i want them to feel weathered but well maintained

I got half way through painting a Warmachine Khador from the starter kit that I got for Christmas a year ago before realizing it requires model glue to put together and I didn't have any. I've had a lot of fun working on something that's a bit larger than the typical figures I play with, but I still find myself obsessing over details that most people wouldn't even notice, and not doing very well at them since my fine motor control isn't quite what it used to be.