Sign in to follow this  
Cordeos

Just Cause 3

This game is fantastic.

For those of you with issues, have you tried disabling in-game vsync? Both my GTX 760 and its replacement (an R9 390) exhibit much better performance with it off. I'm running the beta Crimson drivers right now, and I'm north of 60fps the lion's share of the time. My 760 was good for about 30-40fps (with sub-30 dips when shit went sideways in spectacular fashion) on mostly high settings with a couple of tweaks here and there (turn off screen-space reflections!), but still totally playable.

Tried running in admin mode, no change. Updated to latest game-ready drivers, no change. Started in offline mode... it was better. Still some chugging when things get hectic, but better otherwise (though still running everything on low/off). It seems a tad ridiculous that not letting the game contact an online server would be the difference between a decently smooth framerate and spasming around 20fps.

Disabling in-game vsync helps a good bit, too, which is fortunate, because I had a lot of fun playing for hours last night doing nothing but Feat Challenges. Me and a friend spent the evening handing challenge call-outs back and forth for parachute climbing and wingsuit air time (current record is mine at 18:52).

That was almost all I did yesterday. One story mission and hours of wingsuit flying.

Disabling in-game vsync helps a good bit, too, which is fortunate, because I had a lot of fun playing for hours last night doing nothing but Feat Challenges. Me and a friend spent the evening handing challenge call-outs back and forth for parachute climbing and wingsuit air time (current record is mine at 18:52).

That was almost all I did yesterday. One story mission and hours of wingsuit flying.

I did a ton of exploration as soon as I got my hands on a fighter jet, flew all over the place. I recommend checking out the upper left most island, some great vistas there.

Very much enjoying this game, but have been having some frame rate issues and am averaging one crash to desktop per hour. That's not good. I've got the same video card as you, Architecture, so maybe I'll try turning off vsync as well. Pity about the performance, because the GAME is amazingly good.

Still waiting on the first patch, but I seem to have put together some sort of combination of things that let me spend the night constantly blowing up all sorts of shit without any major performance problems:

Vsync off

Increasing the size of the virtual memory pagefile and moving it to my SSD (this is an alternative to "just have 16GB of RAM")

Running in a borderless fullscreen window

I still have all the in-game settings turned down, so the next step is to bump those up and see how things go, but the game still looks pretty good at the low quality level.

Starting to get the hang of the wingsuit and it's so much fun. It's a constant feeling of narrowly avoiding a catastrophic crash. Really like how the basic act of traversal can be so interesting. And I'm glad they made Rico a lot more durable in this game -- it's great to be able to recover from mistakes a bit instead of dying all the time.

Performance has been pretty solid for me, other than a few odd cases where the framerate just tanks for a few seconds. It seems to happen most often when showing the new perk videos or occasionally during a big explosion.

If you have nvidia this guide may help you make the important tuning decisions: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/just-cause-3-graphics-and-performance-guide

On my rather dated i7-2600 with GF760 the first 10 minutes ran at 35+ at 1920x1200 with most at high, LOD on medium. So I guess I need to tweak my settings when I'm going to play it. Looking at the guide turning off GI would be the first thing as the FPS difference is huge but looks are not that much affected.

Screen-space reflections, beautiful as they are, can cause frame rates to tank. I am used to turning it off pretty quickly.

I find that Nvidia article helpful yet a bit hilarious--all these things "barely" ding your FPS, but when you add them all together, you're looking at tens of frames per second. It is interesting to see them chart all this stuff, but it would be more helpful if they demonstrated the performance impact on their range of cards and not just the $600 behemoth nobody actually owns.

It's more like $400. But that's not really the point, of course they want to sell their products. It's just a good detailed articled that provides a ice way to compare the various settings and relative performance impact (for nvidia, no idea how amd cards are affected).

The benchmarks on the Nvidia site are for the 980 Ti, not the vanilla 980.

My brand new R9 390 is averaging probably 70, with lots of stretches in the 80s and 90s. Though I do have dips down to say...44? This is with literally everything on full blast minus v-sync at 1080p. There are definitely problems, but Nvidia owners have also reported the light flickering (which is most visible during explosions and towns at night).

This is compared to a GTX 760 running at probably 33-40 FPS with mostly high settings and lowered LOD.

Both cards dropped to a locked 30 with vsync enabled and since only the top 30% of the screen tears at any given time, I turned it off and gained an extra 10-60 FPS.

I have had a few CTDs, however. The game definitely needs a once-over, but performance issues have only minimally impacted gameplay.

Either way, the game is a hell of a lot of fun and definitely on my GOTY shortlist. I probably need to go back and play a little more MGS to firm my lineup, but JC3 is pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be--a more polished, more open version of the last game with insanely pretty art.

I must say I am really impressed with the representations of women in Just Cause 3:

Alessa: Female radio announcer questions you, the hero of Medici about the silly vehicles you bring her and is a super inspiring radio personality.

Annika: Badass female mercenary, wears actual armor. Gets annoyed with machismo.

Dimah: Super smart inventor.

Rosa: Ideal democratic leader.

Both sides also have female soldiers and its no big deal.

No stupid love story.

New patch went live yesterday. Not exactly sure what it affected other than the initial load time. Everything else seems about where it was, which is to say, fine if you turn off v-sync.

Hopefully they can fix a few LOD issues and smooth out the frame rate of the coastal areas.

The game seems to be running smoother for me since the patch. Also noticed less pop in so all around a good patch maybe?

I'm playing on a high-end machine and I am having the worst pop-in.

jc3.jpg

That's about average for my experience so far. I'm also getting pretty long load times whenever I skip a cutscene, even if that cutscene isn't masking a zone transition (tangential complaint: why the hell do I need to go to the pause menu to skip a cutscene?).

Has anyone figured out any graphics settings I can tweak to make this go away?

I had some weird glitches where the water wouldn't appear for some reason, but nothing that bad. My weird glitches were always physics. Also the occasional random teleportation. For example:

post-6403-0-09969100-1451283860_thumb.jpg

THAT SAID...

Glitches aside, I finished my 100% completion run of JC3 last night. It's a very good game. If it ran better, I would say an excellent game. However, physics glitches, crashes to desktop, and the general bewildering choice to put a bunch of precision challenges in a game that is so much about things breaking in wonderful ways all hold it back. I don't know if it was a factor of the time that JC2 came out or if it's actually something that the earlier game did better, but cities didn't feel like they were as consequential as they were in JC2. JC2 felt like a world to me, JC3 felt like a playground. It was an EXCELLENT playground, and I'm saying this after 44 hours and 100% completion, so I'd certainly still recommend JC3 to pretty much anyone, but I feel far less blown away than I did after JC2.

Bring on the DLC!

I played for eighteen minutes, which is how long it took me to determine the pop-in was not going away. It's seriously as bad as that screenshot, everywhere. The game is playable, but I really don't want to play it like this. It doesn't seem to be specific to my graphics card and Google didn't offer any solutions, so I guess they've got two weeks to patch it before I cash my Steam refund.

Hmm.

I've got an MSi 390 and I'm not experiencing the same issues. I know it's a widely reported AMD issue, but it sounded like the latest Crimson drivers fixed it.

PC games are fucking crazy.

I already mentioned, I Googled it and it's not specific to the card (I found video of multiple people using the card successfully, and a general absence of evidence other people were having the problem with that setup).

Drivers are in disarray at the moment--my experience with Elite Dangerous right now makes me so frustrated that I have no idea what to do.