Sign in to follow this  
riadsala

Things to look forward to?

Howdy,

not that I need any new games... and I'm usually not one to get excited about new releases, but I was wondering if there are any headline (I suppose AAA would be the usual phrase?) strategy games currently in development? I know there are loads of great smaller titles in development (Clockwork Empires, At the Gates, Offworld Trading Company, anything and everything by Arcen).

There's Creative Assembly's Warhammer:Total War game which might be fun or might be a broken mess.

GalCiv3 by all accounts is just an updated version of GalCiv2, I've not heard of any new features or mechanics to get really excited about, and given Stardocks track record, it will take a few years before the game reaches its potential.

We're surely unlikely to see a new Civ game anytime soon? I'm surprised there hasn't been any noise about a follow-up to XCOM. I'd love to see a XCOM2 that adds a touch more complexity and with a slightly less linear campaign trajectory.

I'd be surprised to see a CK3 anytime soon from Paradox.

Does Relic exist post-THQ?

Personally, i'd be happy if there were no new game release at all for a good while, as then I could get on enjoying what I already have. But still, it's interesting to think about on a slow Monday afternoon :-)

I know Paradox is working on the next Hearts of Iron and there are more CK2 expansions in the pipeline.

Relic is apparently part of Sega now.

I hate myself for being interested in Total War: Warhammer, but I am anyway. Given their track record, I'd guess buggy mess.

I hate myself for being interested in Total War: Warhammer, but I am anyway. Given their track record, I'd guess buggy mess.

I'm just hoping it brings back the exciting battles missing from Empire total war. Will probably pick it up on a steam sale.

To be fair, Attila is pretty good (and I mean from day zero), so I am optimistic a bit about Warhammer. It appear to follow, so far, from the limited information a more focused development, and overall CA more focused titles (Napoleon and Shogun, now maybe Attila) where some of their best ones. Empire was a mess, but I kind liked the mess it was.

But back on track, Chroma Squad will be out this week, its a tatical strategy game where you lead a super sentai squad (aka Power Rangers).

So looks like i'm correct in thinking there's nothing big on it's way any time soon?

interesting that there's been next to no buzz (at least on 3ma and rps) on Attila:TW. Is it even a standalone game? Have people just had enough of CAs rough releases?

I'm glad to hear there are more CK2 expansions on the way though. Which reminds me, I need to continue with my current game, slowly sorting out a new in Spain as my original land in the east is conquered by muslims.

So looks like i'm correct in thinking there's nothing big on it's way any time soon?

interesting that there's been next to no buzz (at least on 3ma and rps) on Attila:TW. Is it even a standalone game? Have people just had enough of CAs rough releases?

I'm glad to hear there are more CK2 expansions on the way though. Which reminds me, I need to continue with my current game, slowly sorting out a new in Spain as my original land in the east is conquered by muslims.

Depend you mean from large developers? There was a lot of releases last year I guess it take sometime before anything big.

But still here is a few things around:

• There was some talks about how Beyond Earth and Starships will somehow interact.
  • Age of Wonders got it´s next expansion, is pretty good.
  • Oriental Empires was linked in the 4X thread, begin based on Ancient too, I guess, late Medieval China. I kind wish this game to be really good, but I have some questions about it.
  • Pike & Shot did got a expansion (I have to pick up this soon or later).
  • Hearts of Iron IV is coming out this year.
  • There is also a EU IV expansion on the way.
  • There is a lot of space themed (I guess 4x) games coming to steam.

About Attila...I don´t think so, Attila did got positive reviews from both players and media, but it I could say, Attila is kind like Napoleon was (even in terms of cycle, I guess it will got the edition tools and a few more dlcs, but no huge expansions but I could be wrong), both might didn´t generate huge buzz  but where solid and good games (for all kinds of reasons, If I am not wrong, there was a couple of very large releases close to Attila, meanwhile, Rome II with the Imperial Edition did became good game, unlikely Empire which while did get patchs it didn´t get such huge turnover).

Yeah, it is a Standalone.

Depend you mean from large developers? There was a lot of releases last year I guess it take sometime before anything big.

But still here is a few things around:

• There was some talks about how Beyond Earth and Starships will somehow interact.
  • Age of Wonders got it´s next expansion, is pretty good.
  • Oriental Empires was linked in the 4X thread, begin based on Ancient too, I guess, late Medieval China. I kind wish this game to be really good, but I have some questions about it.
  • Pike & Shot did got a expansion (I have to pick up this soon or later).
  • Hearts of Iron IV is coming out this year.
  • There is also a EU IV expansion on the way.
  • There is a lot of space themed (I guess 4x) games coming to steam.

About Attila...I don´t think so, Attila did got positive reviews from both players and media, but it I could say, Attila is kind like Napoleon was (even in terms of cycle, I guess it will got the edition tools and a few more dlcs, but no huge expansions but I could be wrong), both might didn´t generate huge buzz  but where solid and good games (for all kinds of reasons, If I am not wrong, there was a couple of very large releases close to Attila, meanwhile, Rome II with the Imperial Edition did became good game, unlikely Empire which while did get patchs it didn´t get such huge turnover).

Yeah, it is a Standalone.

on that note, I need to get round to playing TW:Nap. (and then Shogun 2, Rome2 etc). I wish they'd slow down their release schedule and concentrate on quality. I guess the economics don't support that?

I'm playing through Total War Attila right now, and although it's OK, many of the same issues that have plagued Total War games over the years are still there (AI, hint, hint) although the problems are more subtle than, say, Rome 2's at release.

I agree the main thing holding Total War back are the rushed annual releases, which means essentially the same basic game play title to title, with a different time period and some slightly updated graphics -- and it's all being done on he same engine since 2008 or so.  As a result, the games seem to iterate various work arounds, rather than fundamental fixes for numerous problems that arise from complex, hardware demanding games.  So we're having small battles on small battlefields and putting up with siege combat that doesn't really work.

Now CA is taking on Warhammer (while maintaining publicly that the historical games will still be released on a regular schedule) and they've put an impossible work load on themselves to deliver quality in my opinion.

You could try Napoleon or Shogun 2 using the excellent Darth Mods -- you can have larger armies and overall a more satisfying historical game experience.  I can recommend Fall of the Samurai -- it's got great ambience and may be the best TW title built on the current engine overall.  Napoleon modded is fun, make sure you have 40 unit stacks enabled for a more realistic battle experience, but overall the battle AI is kind of predictable.

p.s. We should keep an eye on Oriental Empires as another kind of TW like game.  The two main developers have had stints working for Creative Assembly, the developers of TW (100% owned by SEGA).

Yeah I would agree about the cycles. That part why I think they have more chances with more focused/smaller titles. I too would recommend Shogun 2 with all expansions, you got pretty much everything there, from melee battles to more modern/late napoleonic style battles (Fall of the Samurai). Warhammer will be a trilogy which might be a good sign, because the End of Time event (which the game will be based), from what I read about, is a very large event, I could perfectly see a game trying to cover all of it not working.

p.s. We should keep an eye on Oriental Empires as another kind of TW like game.  The two main developers have had stints working for Creative Assembly, the developers of TW (100% owned by SEGA).

This reminds me, didn´t XIII Century didn´t also had some people from Medieval 2 original team? In on hand I can see what they tried to do, but overall it was really bad game (mostly due bad map design and too much scripted battles).

My fear for Oriental Empire is the too large time frame (which somewhat was what plagued Empire/Rome 2 too large, too many factions), there is simple too much stuff to cover. It might meant a characterless game (which could still work, but miss half of the charm, specially during the period of the Three Kingdoms) or simple a bland/hollow approach to different periods and dynasties. But I do really hope they manage to deliver it.

It feels like the best strategy games just kinda come out without much fanfaire. I guess, depending on what you mean by Strategy, Massive Chalice leaves early access shortly. Shadowrun Online (now Shadowrun Chronicles) just came out. Shadowrun Returns: Hong Kong passed it's Kickstarter.

Well Koei just announced that they will bring Nobunaga´s Ambition to the west (https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/600280963625701376) and I saw on Polygon that there will be a Cossacks 3 (http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/5/18/8615339/cossacks-3-announcement-release-date-gsc-stalker)

Now, while I did only played Cossack very late, when GoG add it to its catalogue, I didn´t like very much, while building regiments was kind fun, control them was almost to hard (they died to easy) and often I did felt that was easier to just keep spamming and throw more and more troops ...but on the other hand I do look foward for Nobunaga´s Ambition.

Almost forgot! Beyond Earth is getting a new expansion: http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/18/civilization-beyond-earth-rising-tide-expansion-announced/

Edited by Valorian Endymion

XCOM 2 announced. I really hope this will be a new game and not a repeat of Beyond Earth. Hopefully the insurgent mechanics it hints at will drastically change the game. Maybe there will even be a morality system (cause those are great). I am cautiously optimistic. 

Well Koei just announced that they will bring Nobunaga´s Ambition to the west (https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/600280963625701376) and I saw on Polygon that there will be a Cossacks 3 (http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/5/18/8615339/cossacks-3-announcement-release-date-gsc-stalker)

Now, while I did only played Cossack very late, when GoG add it to its catalogue, I didn´t like very much, while building regiments was kind fun, control them was almost to hard (they died to easy) and often I did felt that was easier to just keep spamming and throw more and more troops ...but on the other hand I do look foward for Nobunaga´s Ambition.

Almost forgot! Beyond Earth is getting a new expansion: http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/18/civilization-beyond-earth-rising-tide-expansion-announced/

XCOM 2 announced. I really hope this will be a new game and not a repeat of Beyond Earth. Hopefully the insurgent mechanics it hints at will drastically change the game. Maybe there will even be a morality system (cause those are great). I am cautiously optimistic. 

OOoooo all of them are looking good~

Oh and Common Sense is out I think?

Koei have been show more stuff about the new Nobunaga´s Ambition - even a new website: http://www.nobunagasambition.eu/introduction.html is worth checking out. The release date is 4 of Setember.

This video show a bit of the battle system:

And this one about the strategy mode:

Also on their twitter profiles they have been showing a lot of stuff, like images of the characters and the pc requirements :

Their twitter: https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope (I guess the American on will soon show this same stuff too).

PC Requirements: https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/621304155370582016

So the new Elemental game is out. Interestingly, it's very close to a game design idea I had 5 years ago :P (combine Elemental with AI War). RPS gave it a positive right up, but I think I'm through with the series. What with Civ and CK2, I have enough 4x for my free time, and that's before considering buying Distant Worlds and Endless Legend.

Is anybody else playing it?