Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Speed

[Dev Log] The Fanboy's Lament

You play a fanboy, outraged by the perfidious actions of publisher Soul Krusher Games, Inc! There is only one clear and just action remaining - to take a printout of your online petition to the desk of the Soul Krusher CEO and demand an immediate recall of their latest game, OVERBITE!

screenshot01001Rev.png

Guide the fanboy through the offices of Soul Krusher, avoiding the patrolling marketing and financial executives until you can unleash your FANBOY FURY with an almighty drone! Eliminate the executives to advance to the next office!

2/4 levels currently built to alpha level.

Download Win/Mac/Lin builds here: http://reverend-speed.itch.io/the-fanboys-lament

Version with proper credits and attribution to follow! 99% of funny text in game courtesy of https://twitter.com/jamesfbrophy !

ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS: ========================================================

Hey folks. Had some unexpectedly free time on Thursday and decided to take a crack at the Wizard Jam, solo (atm). Was randomly assigned 'The Fanboy's Lament'. Hmm...

THEY DONE CHANGED YOUR GAME! There's only one thing to do - print out your online petition, take it to the halls of power and force 'em to change it back!

Wasn't able to do anything on Friday, but got some more work done yesterday. After a few more hours this morning, the first release of TFL is ready - the absolute core of the game, minus art, later levels, menus, etc.

If anybody could take a look at this and gimme feedback, I'd appreciate it!

Hoping to do a little more today, but this could end up being all there is! I'd like to do three more levels, with two more enemies and a mini cutscene. Or two.

All the best,

--Rev

Is this game currently only the first room? I couldn't get anywhere other than falling down the hole left from the occupational hazard. I really wanted there to be more!

@Jake: Thank you! dinosaurssss was super-helpful and I think it's sorted out. And thanks for highlighting the jam on the podcast, would have missed this without it!

@Spenny: I'm afraid so. But I really want there to be more, too! I had three more levels planned, with two more enemies and yada yada, but I barely managed to get the current version into the jam during the grace period. Many thanks for the comment, man. It's been busy here for the past while, so I haven't had a chance to appreciate the Jam games, but I'm going on a download-and-play spree tomorrow. And then I might see if I'm allowed to drop in the next coupla levels - most of the interactive prefabs are done.

Should also mention: The hilarious gags are mostly courtesy of https://twitter.com/jamesfbrophy - I literally had no brain cycles left while coding to deadline.

--Rev

PS: Maybe I should try to source a "BIRD NOISE" sample to replace the current chime when you complete the levels...

So I've added a few bits and pieces to the game, including a WHOLE SECOND LEVEL!

Most of the content didn't take long (as I've eschewed UV mapping, which is fundamentally unwise but... what the hell), but I've been pulled hither and yon since I originally uploaded the game.

Note, physics are... well, 'janky's the only word for it, but hopefully entertainingly so.

Still need to find a place to fit in a 'baboo'.

Also, lazy request: does anybody know where I could quickly find a sample of Jake's '...ghooouuu...' utterance? I'll probably wander through the archives at some point, but it'd be handy if somebody happened to remember him making that noise on a particular Thumbs episode...

--Rev

PS: Link to latest version of game in original post, above.

Sign in to follow this