melmer

UK Thumbs

I remember the absolute euphoria in this country when Tony Blair and the Labour Party annilated the corrupt bloated corpse of a Conservative party back in 1997

I think it speak volumes that the reaction to today's result is general disbelief and 'how the fuck did that happen?!?'

On the bright side we can look forward to feel that euphoria again in 5 years time. Just a shame by that point we'll have left the EU and We'll need passports to get into Scotland.

My workmate today said "At least Cameron is pro Europe". At least we are in Ireland and have at default a disdain for English politics. When challenged, he said "well, he is more pro europe than UKIP".

that doesn't seem hard

like, it's a real accomplishment to hate immigrants more than UKIP

yet somehow we managed it

Thanks Merus, you reminded me that it could be worse, we could have Tony Abbott.

I was talking to my cousin on Steam yesterday; he's around 16, and was asking what my hopes for the election had been. I mentioned I'd voted Green but the best I could have hoped for was a Labour/SNP coalition, and it quickly became apparent that while he wasn't happy with a Tory government, what he would have preferred was a UKIP majority. I guess I should have seen it coming; I've played Civ V with him, and his tendency to always pick Germany and play in the most militaristic way possible pointed towards right-wing tendencies. Plus he's complained about unelected EU officials before, which I should have spotted as a UKIP talking point.

I blocked him yesterday, because I was at work and I didn't need the stress of talking to him about this stuff, but I'm going to have to talk to him about it at some point. Obviously I want to try and talk him out of it, but it feels like he's read up on specifics a lot more than I have; said he'd read both UKIP and Green's manifesto, which I haven't done (Though I do know what most of their respective policies are). The difference between being a working adult with a bunch of interests outside of work, and being a bored school-age teenager, I guess. I don't know how successful I could be at convincing him that UKIP are awful, though.

Well. At least Nigel Farage has stepped down. Maybe he'll be replaced by Paul Nuttalls of the UKIPs.

Honestly, if he's only 16, you should at least be able to get some counter-arguments in his head. I know I had all sorts of stupid opinions at 16, and even if hearing counters wouldn't change my mind immediately, that stuff can still stick with you and change your mind down the road.

his tendency to always pick Germany and play in the most militaristic way possible pointed towards right-wing tendencies. Plus he's complained about unelected EU officials before, which I should have spotted as a UKIP talking point.

Ugh, this sounds like a 4chan thing. There's a far cry between being right wing/anti-immigrant and supporting Nazis. 4chan apparently loves Farage, and it seems like alot of kids are getting involved with UKIP because it's basically an anti-PC meme.

The new equalities minister is against same-sex marriage. The new justice minister supports the death penalty. I'm guessing the environment minister will be Jeremy Clarkson and the health minister will be a packet of cigarettes.

Man, imagine if every government position was filled with a person who hated all the ideals they were supposed to uphold. Don't actually imagine that it's really depressing.

I'm kinda worried about the direction Labour are going to take after this. I don't want their takeaway to be 'copy the right'.

Man, imagine if every government position was filled with a person who hated all the ideals they were supposed to uphold. Don't actually imagine that it's really depressing.

It worked for Ron Swanson.

I'm kinda worried about the direction Labour are going to take after this. I don't want their takeaway to be 'copy the right'.

That's the direction they took during the election. It's rare that I do so but I agree with Diane Abbott, this stuff about the problem with Labour being too left is ridiculous, they was just slightly left of the Tories when they should be left of centre.

That's the direction they took during the election. It's rare that I do so but I agree with Diane Abbott, this stuff about the problem with Labour being too left is ridiculous, they was just slightly left of the Tories when they should be left of centre.

Fair point. I hope their takeaway isn't that they weren't copying the right enough.

I move back to the UK at the end of the month... I was hoping to avoid a Tory government almost entirely, having left in 2010, but oh well!

Depressing links o' the day

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone." - David Cameron

But finally, the  Save our Human Rights petition.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

There is no way to read that but villainously.

It's incredibly sinister. I thought Cameron had at least an ounce of moderation in him, but he's going full-on fascist state now. Everyone thought the Lib Dems were useless in the coalition, but it seems like they were somehow preventing Cameron from revealing his Ultimate Final Boss form.