melmer

UK Thumbs

UK readers represent!

I thought occasionally stuff comes up that's only really relevant to us UK folk. We should have a thread!

You can post about events, travel advice, biscuits, the Union Jack, how to pronounce Shropshire. Whatever takes your fancy.

I'll start:

20,000 Days on Earth (2014) is on E4 next Friday. Ya'll should get set to record.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2920540/

Sorry to immediately bring this thread down, but remember to make sure you're registered to vote and that you're not voting UKIP!

I'm probably not going to vote :tdown: I know, I suck. The reason being is that I haven't a clue what any of the party's stand for. If they were to get into power how will it effect my life and the country As a whole? Yeah the information is out there, but I can't be fucked to go look for it.

It blows my mind that there isn't impartial big budget prime time documentaries on the tele to explain this stuff to normal people (although, big budget doesn't really equal impartiality) okay, maybe a television programs isn't the way to go...

I've just found this website. And maybe this'll help me make an informed decision. I really need to set aside half an hour today and run through it (I've already quit out once half way through the form)

https://voteforpolicies.org.uk

It really needs to be like 50 multiple choice questions. What's more important to you terrorists or drugs, benefits or education etc that's probably make it too simplistic. But please can someone make this shit accessible!

A personality trait I have in all walks of life is that, I don't feel like I deserve an opinion unless I know all the facts. Who's to say what's right and what's wrong unless you know all sides to the story. I suppose that is my option: nothing's black and white. And that's why I struggle at election time as I can't go all in on one party unless I have all the facts. And mario kart is way more entertaining then reading party manifestos. They should add some Miliband DLC, make it relevant for the kids.

My vote counts for fuck all anyway :-/ http://m.voterpower.org.uk/fareham

My vote counts for fuck all anyway :-/ http://m.voterpower.org.uk/fareham

I found the last section of that page pretty weird. Does it prefer the politics of a constituency to be entirely homogenous so there are no "discarded" votes? I suppose it's just having a go at the first past the post system, but it seems strange to me.

Voting Green as no other parties line up with my liberal lefty agenda at all. Sure they aren't ideal but no party is.

Also Coffee >>Tea, come at me

In terms of policies, Green are one of the few parties that line up for me, too (And Lib Dems on a couple of points, but I'm not getting on THAT boat again), so I've been a Green voter for the past few years. And will be again! If there was a way I could use my vote to actively negate a UKIP vote, I would probably do that, though.

It seems the whole tuition fee debacle will set back the lib dems for decades. Our generation will never forget it. I think it's a bit harsh as they were in a coalition and I doubt they had any power to get it passed.

It was a stupid mistake promising it In the first place, although they got into "power" off the back of that promise. So it kinda worked out in the short term.

It's seriously damaged politics on a whole though. It's just an easy example that people can cling on to to back up the idea "you can't trust anything politician says"

A lot of the young people who voted lib dem last time are probably completely disengaged this time round and won't vote at all.

Did anyone watch the last leg with nick clegg a few days ago. Josh pulled him apart, such easy pickings, I felt rather sad watching it. I like Clegg, I think he's alright. I highly recommend people watch these last leg election specials, there's two more Thursday nights.

Decisions decisions. Professional looking business women or lib dem clown. What the fuck is he doing? Jazz hands!

sdTMz1j.jpg

What the fuck is he doing? Jazz hands!

He's Winning(ton)!

I imagine him saying "look at all this stuff! Water and boats and things! It's brilliant innit?"

My local labour candidate, this version seems to have been put through a filter but it can't disguise that the poor chap looks about 12 :/

I've voted Green because it's a Tory or Lib Dem constituency and I couldn't vote for either of them so if I have to throw my vote away it might as well be for a party that I like.

I'm probably voting green due to their policies on government spying. Other Parties seem to have conveniently forgotten that Edward Snowdon exists.

It seems the whole tuition fee debacle will set back the lib dems for decades. Our generation will never forget it. I think it's a bit harsh as they were in a coalition and I doubt they had any power to get it passed.

It was a stupid mistake promising it In the first place, although they got into "power" off the back of that promise. So it kinda worked out in the short term.

It's seriously damaged politics on a whole though. It's just an easy example that people can cling on to to back up the idea "you can't trust anything politician says"

A lot of the young people who voted lib dem last time are probably completely disengaged this time round and won't vote at all.

Did anyone watch the last leg with nick clegg a few days ago. Josh pulled him apart, such easy pickings, I felt rather sad watching it. I like Clegg, I think he's alright. I highly recommend people watch these last leg election specials, there's two more Thursday nights.

There a line from the leader of the junior party here in Ireland (Labour) about how they got a quarter of the votes but half of the blame but they also made a lot of promises they broke in government. Two small parts got destroyed in the last 10 years over this (Green and Progressive Democrats) and it looks like the Lib Dem are learning that same lesson over in the UK.

Also Sturgeon and the SNP are looking more and more like the Irish Nationalist Party and Redmond back in the 1910's when they got the Home Rule bill passed in return for supporting the Liberals in government. Although in Scotland's case it seems as it is as much as voters abandoning Labour as it is nationalism even though the SNP,

Where I live there is no reason for me to vote. It's a safe Labour seat, so they'll win again anyway, and more importantly, I can't agree with any of the current parties stances on most things. my vote power is also pretty weak, although not to the extent of Mington.

Due to having German citizenship rather than British (I think about trying for dual every few years but it's expensive and time consuming) I can't vote in the general election. However, being as my vote power is only 0.02 above Mington's, I guess it's somewhat irrelevant anyway. I don't think this seat has changed hands in my lifetime.

By the way, you can use this quiz to see how much your values match up with STATED policies of major UK parties: https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz

Of course, what that means should they come into power is anyone's guess.

I think it's still worth voting, if for no other reason than to exercise your civic right to have a good old moan :)

By the way, you can use this quiz to see how much your values match up with STATED policies of major UK parties: https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz

Thanks for posting that link, it was really helpful, just the type of thing I was looking for.

I came out Labour, although the results seem extremely marginal. Interesting/important to see where my views differ from UKIP

https://gb.isidewith.com/results/854126204

Wow I got 90% Lib Dem and 80% labour. I was considering voting for labour even though it's pointless.

Damnit I forgot to register!

I feel like I should really have done, as I get the impression that UKIP has a pretty strong presense here.

I took the quiz regardless, 92% Labour. Is that good?

... Oh dear 39% racist I mean UKIP https://uk.isidewith.com/results/855071680

Also another great telly show you cats should watch is friday night dinners. It's really funny.

Damnit I forgot to register!

I feel like I should really have done, as I get the impression that UKIP has a pretty strong presense here.

I took the quiz regardless, 92% Labour. Is that good?

... Oh dear 39% racist I mean UKIP https://uk.isidewith.com/results/855071680

Also another great telly show you cats should watch is friday night dinners. It's really funny.

We 90% aligned, high five for liberal authoritarianism!

We 90% aligned, high five for liberal authoritarianism!

tumblr_inline_n8xly1fvVQ1rkjkf6.gif

Now onto the real pressing matters. The hard hitting shit that no-one in the white house is brave enough to tackle: The top 5 Tea Brands. I'm not talking about your fancy Betty's or T2, I'm talking about shit you get at Tesco's. But not marks. No one shops at marks! Anyone who disagrees with this is wrong.

1. Yorkshire Tea
  2. Twinings
  3. Tetleys
  4. PG Tips
  5. Typhoo