Sign in to follow this  
Molten Berle

[Released-Esque] Dev Log] Cyberpunk Cop Killer

Okay, haven't had a ton of time to work out the details, but hopefully will have something finished up over the weekend.

Right now, about two thirds of the way through a combination detective narrative and hacking minigame, where you're a cybercop finding the dirty people on the force who killed your partner, and proceeding to hack their computers to find incriminating information and/or make said computers explode and kill them. The writing part is about done, still trying to figure out how to fix the mechanics of the minigame so that there's some level of difficulty (and punishment for failure).

I did spend way too much time composing and recording a Korg-MS20-and-smoky-sax theme song, which I'll upload later today or tomorrow.

ADDENDUM: Issues with Logic export have meant issues with getting the theme out, but I'm still working on it. What of a game I finished is here: http://molten-berle.itch.io/cyberpunk-cop-killer

Edited by Molten Berle

I'm a sucker for noir sax cyberpunk music. Most of my time on Soundcloud is spent looking for more of it than the Blade Runner OST. I'm also excited to see another visual-novel in the mix, or atleast a game that uses TyranoBuilder.

I'm a sucker for noir sax cyberpunk music. Most of my time on Soundcloud is spent looking for more of it than the Blade Runner OST. I'm also excited to see another visual-novel in the mix, or atleast a game that uses TyranoBuilder.

So far I'm pretty impressed with its capabilities. Putting together a basic novel is super easy, and I've been able to get a decent amount of semi-procedural randomization/mission generation in as well thanks to JavaScript (and some of their TyranoScript).

Well, that didn't go so great. Had to hack out a bunch of the procedural generation for it to stop throwing JS errors, and as such lost a bunch of the mission generation. Still, made a thing and it's real now, so that's cool. Hopefully I'll have a chance in the next few days to get the procedural stuff back in.

In its current state your game actually kind of read as a parody of game jam games, a comment on incompleteness, and was actually pretty interesting and humorous in that regard.

Well, that didn't go so great. Had to hack out a bunch of the procedural generation for it to stop throwing JS errors, and as such lost a bunch of the mission generation. Still, made a thing and it's real now, so that's cool. Hopefully I'll have a chance in the next few days to get the procedural stuff back in.

I haven't used any of the the javaScript functionality. Can you describe your experience with it?

I haven't used any of the the javaScript functionality. Can you describe your experience with it?

It's a little rough. The app lets you just put in JS code, but throws up errors when you use a var. Which... makes a lot of things difficult, unless you nest everything in horrifying tangles of code.

Enjoyed the intro. A lot. Got to the bit where LASTNAME (good last name) comes back from the Bodega and it says, "...looks like your partner was the victim of a..."

REV: Say it! SAY IT!

CYBER

PUNK

COP

KILLER

REV: YESSSS.

OBVIOUSLY the guy whose files appear to be innocent is the killer. Yes, search further and aha, OPEN THOSE COP KILLER FILES oh that's adorable. Okay, move on. Let's look at option three and WOAH. Okay. I am a good detective! Hmm. Well, if I choose to mete out my own brand of justice, then this will be a game called CYBER PUNK COP KILLER about a CYBER PUNK COP KILLER who kills CYBER PUNK COP KILLERs. That's irresistible.

REV: "John BigDog. Heh."

Woo. I liked that. Short, but atmospheric while breezy. Could definitely do with more.

--Rev

Sign in to follow this