Sign in to follow this  
coughlinjon

Last Minute Help Thread

Hey everyone,

I thought I would start a common thread for everyone looking for last minute advice. The forum contributors have been awesome answering my questions, but I thought it might be nice to give people with lots of skills one place to look to spread their knowledge :)

Ok, here's my immediate advice needs ;)

Animated Colliders

I have a 3 image sprite animation of a character swinging a crowbar. I need to animate a collider to follow my crowbar so it registers contacts with enemies. Anyone know a good tutorial for this or have advice themselves? I've struggled to find the proper resources on the internet.

You could attach the collider to a child object and create an animation of that object's transform that follows the crowbar.

You may need to pass up the collision events to the parent object if that's where the rest of the code is.

I'm cooking dinner right now, but I can pop on stream afterwards to help if you like.

You could attach the collider to a child object and create an animation of that object's transform that follows the crowbar.

You may need to pass up the collision events to the parent object if that's where the rest of the code is.

I'm cooking dinner right now, but I can pop on stream afterwards to help if you like.

I like that idea. I'll continue as a DM :)

If anyone needs last minute help, private message me. I'll be working most of this weekend, but I may be able to find useful web-links or answer some questions. I can also draw on paper and take photos of it at my job.

Hey all,

I'm having trouble with animation state changes. 

I have 4 animations that I need to rotate between.

1. Resting with crowbar on right side

2. Swing from right to left

3. Resting with crowbar on left side

4. Swing from left to right

I want the swing animation to run a single time, then immediately transition to the wait animation.

I have attached a "state" variable to my animator that I can use to force each animation, but what I can't figure out is how to query the animator at runtime to check what animation is currently active and how to check when the swing animations have completed.

Does anyone have direct advice or a reference they can link me to? I'm apparently inept with animations.

Hey all,

I'm having trouble with animation state changes. 

I have 4 animations that I need to rotate between.

1. Resting with crowbar on right side

2. Swing from right to left

3. Resting with crowbar on left side

4. Swing from left to right

I want the swing animation to run a single time, then immediately transition to the wait animation.

I have attached a "state" variable to my animator that I can use to force each animation, but what I can't figure out is how to query the animator at runtime to check what animation is currently active and how to check when the swing animations have completed.

Does anyone have direct advice or a reference they can link me to? I'm apparently inept with animations.

Are you using Unity? if so then you would just need to create a transition between the animations and then set the exit time to 1 (If I understand your problem correctly)

Greetings,

I updated my Unity from 5.0 to 5.1 while making my game jam game.

Every since then, whenever I open it up in Unity, the Canvases I am using for the Game Over, Level Start, Level Over screens are broken, with the default Mono Scripts for the Canvas and subclasses like Text missing.  In addition, the animation I created for them are broken.

I found one solution which involves moving the GUISystem folder, reopening Unity and then moving it back but I REALLY am sick of rebuilding all my animations due to lost Property.

Can anyone give me any sort of solution for this?  It really sucked all the joy out of this game jam for me....

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

I updated my Unity from 5.0 to 5.1 while making my game jam game.

Every since then, whenever I open it up in Unity, the Canvases I am using for the Game Over, Level Start, Level Over screens are broken, with the default Mono Scripts for the Canvas and subclasses like Text missing.  In addition, the animation I created for them are broken.

I found one solution which involves moving the GUISystem folder, reopening Unity and then moving it back but I REALLY am sick of rebuilding all my animations due to lost Property.

Can anyone give me any sort of solution for this?  It really sucked all the joy out of this game jam for me....

Thanks in advance.

I have no idea if this will work and it could be horrible advice. 

But what I would end up trying (even though it might make things worse) is to take a project file that I zipped up right before updating Unity and then opening that up with the older version of Unity. 

This could be a bad idea. I don't know much about this stuff.

It appears there are no audio processes in Twine that work on all browsers? If I made a game that only worked in Chrome and Opera would that be fine or would it not even be worth it?

It appears there are no audio processes in Twine that work on all browsers? If I made a game that only worked in Chrome and Opera would that be fine or would it not even be worth it?

It's certainly worth publishing if you've already made it. Just make a very noticable note that it doesn't work in the specified browsers that it doesn't work in.

All the engines have their flaws and the flaws are often limited platforms that you can export to. If you end up making another audio twine, I would recommend TyranoBuilder. That way you could offer windows and mac builds to the people who don't want to install Chrome or Opera and it is super beginner friendly.

I'm going to make a video tutorial soon so y'all can see what I'm talking about. It won't help for this jam, but you might find it useful if you enjoyed your time making What Happened To Us?

It's not even close to done. Lot of text is done but without the audio coding it's nonsensical, and I still have about 12 songs to write. I just wanted to have an unfinished version without any of the final songs in it up so I could have something up and give people an idea and not feel like I've wasted a bunch of hours on nothing. But even that required me to get audio working which is looking less and less likely (I am now working on method #3 which includes coding in javascript and using HTML5, which will probably end in disaster) so now I don't know.

Maybe I'll just wait and use TyranoBuilder.

EDIT: Yeah, this tutorial assumes I know more than nothing about Javascript. I'm just gonna put this whole project on hiatus until I can figure out a way to do it somewhere other than Twine.

Ok, here is what I am going to do. Until I can get sounds to play in Twine (or whatever I end up using) I will have pages externally link to soundcloud pages playing the sounds. It's imperfect and breaks the tone but then at least I can do the rough version I wanted to get done today.

I'm ready to upload my game but am not super confident of how to deal with AGS games. I think i just zip the compiled folder and upload it to itch.io...

Is there anyone around right now who is able to download whatever I put on there, to check if it works?

I'm ready to upload my game but am not super confident of how to deal with AGS games. I think i just zip the compiled folder and upload it to itch.io...

Is there anyone around right now who is able to download whatever I put on there, to check if it works?

It's up, it works, but there is no cover photo displayed.

Cool, thanks Clyde! Have now uploaded a picture which pretty accurately reflects the quality of the game.

Ugggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Twinery picked today of all days to completely change their forums and now all my links to good Twine tutorials are broken. I can't find any of them.

:(

Sign in to follow this