Jake

Idle Thumbs 207: Buble Bloodborne Bloodbeef

Idle Thumbs 207:

693__header.jpg

Bublé Bloodborne Bloodbeef

This week everybody gets a window into Sean and Danielle's Bloodborne-consumed lives, everybody is convinced by Spaff to play Westerado, and while only Danielle played "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture," everybody else was quite taken with her description of the experience.

Things Discussed: Bloodborne, Splatoon, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Team Fortress 2, Westerado Double Barrelled, Dream Phone, Guitar Hero Live, Duet, Escape, Xbox Avatar Editor

Perfect, Bloodborne.

Did Sean stop streaming after the second time? ):

Haven't started listening yet but thank you in advance for making this a longer episode. I have a long commute in the morning and now I know what I'll be doing on it.

Heres the spider video with smug business guy. 

Thanks, that's exactly what I came here for!

Very interesting 'cast, glad to hear from Spaff this episode. Also, Westerado reminds me aesthetically of Messhof's Cowboyana, which also has that thing where you individually reload your revolver. http://www.messhof.com/Cowboyana

cwbig.PNG

Yay thanks! Really enjoyed the bloodborne talk. Danielle's frustration was also really interesting, because I didn't have it (not with that part, at least). I think maybe just being aware of the larger possibility space that she is afforded by boxing (eg, moving around/on gravestones, feinting) probably makes it harder. For me, stuff like being tripped up on little gravestones is just like "oh this is just how this game works" because I never really even thought about it in a context (like actual boxing) that wasn't just the game itself. It's also awesome that thinking about it like that makes you better though, I don't actually think a lot about positioning in those games, I should.

The stuff in the game I actually was frustrated with was camera angles on larger bosses, but I ended up just "being ok" with that pretty easily, and also got better at toggling lockon on and off.

e: ooh also i've also seen the copyright-infringing plumber van (in the Mission). I was going to attach a photo I took but I can't find it anymore :(

e2: whoah, I just made a frowny face but the forum made it into an angry animated red fellow, I'm not that upset! just frowny.

Does the fact that the band in Guitar Hero is supposed to be the analogue for The Black Keys, who are an extremely Ohio beardy-rock pair of white guys, have any bearing towards either reinforcing or allaying your concerns about the choices they made aesthetically about that band? The whole premise is it's supposed to be basically-but-not-really the musical artist of the song, right? So if in imagination land this was an FMV remake of the original Guitar Hero, I Love Rock and Roll would have a Joan Jett analogue and Take It Off would be a band of all ladies.

Basically what I'm saying is my interpretation of the new video was not THIS IS YOU, but rather YOU ARE IN THE ROLE OF THIS PERSON which in that case was fake Black Keys guitarist. The thing that bugged me was that their fake Black Keys band was so far away from what the Black Keys actually are rather than you're a bro-y white dude. It would have been fine to me if that was Fall Out Boy or something closer.

All of their actual quotes, the press they did, was drilling hard on "it is you." If their angle had been "you are the person in this band," sure, but that is not actually what was said.

All of their actual quotes, the press they did, was drilling hard on "it is you." If their angle had been "you are the person in this band," sure, but that is not actually what was said.

If that's the case, then I share your concern. I haven't read anything about it, just watched the video after having heard it talked about on podcast.

I find it conceptually weird that it's supposed to be "you" if who you are (or everyone around you) changes with every song or genre.

I think Danielle's Blood Beef is something that's been so beaten into me by the games that I don't even notice/realize I'm working around it anymore.  You kinda can't let yourself get cornered.  If you do, it's just a matter of mashing dodge and praying that you live.  Arena awareness is pretty huge, maybe less so in Bloodborne than in the others.  Like in Dark Souls 2, I'm thinking of 2 boss arenas in particular that are just instant deaths if you take a misstep.  In any case, it's a great Blood Beef.

I shamefully got killed by like 2 fairly easy enemies in the Forbidden Woods because there's a devious bit of fence that's mostly-concealed in some tall grass--along with these 2 enemies and an item.  So I got the item, got killed by dodging back into the fence, went back for the blood echoes, got backed up against the fence and killed again, and then submitted to the fence's superior gamesmanship.  

And I really do want to make a Danielle Bloodborne character now.  Maybe called Blood Beef.  Since the Beast Claws (obviously real Danielle's weapon of choice) come so late in the game, I'd have to basically make it a NG+ run.  It would also have to be done in the trick stance since that most closely resembles just punching fools, so it would effectively be a no-gun run as well.  This actually sounds really fun.

But I'm so bad at the character creator.  If anyone is really good at using it, they should make some Thumbs hosts and post the sliders!

While the Souls games are still being talked about, this was a pretty good article posted today:

http://kotaku.com/what-game-designers-love-and-don-t-love-about-souls-g-1699490162

Thank you for posting that link, just because it contains an image that captures, all at once, the reason that Dark Souls is so treasured by me, not just as a game, but as a story.

Lordran_large.png

I know the artist cheats a little bit with the precise geography of Lordran, but it just shows so much how Dark Souls was its own self-contained world, the Gormenghast of games.

Man, I don't go much for posters and stuff, but a framed print of that would be pretty rad.

edit: Hm, looks like prints cost $24 (or $12 for a smaller size). Maybe sometime...

FWIW, I thought Danielle's pronunciation of Shropshire was fine (in fact, I thought Spaff was joking at first when he offered his version). As long as you don't say it in the same way as Tolkien's The Shire then you're fine.

Obviously, the people making 'fishy' puns about the squid game missed my previous post about how squid are cephalopods, not fish.

Good 'cast, the ending song was fabulous.

Agreed, Ash lake should really be below Old Anor Londo, and the forbidden forest doesn't get to the same vertical height as Sen's. But it's still a sweet picture.

Listening to the pod, I thought Father Gascgoine was pronounced the same was as the footballer. I also thought it was a Scottish name.

Also in regards to the fight, in case Danielle still has problems with the fight:

Take the fight to the stairs, where it's clearer. Also don't forget about the musicbox, which stuns Gasgoine when used.

Hey I just realized that this podcast has five people on it at once doesn't it? I remember someone saying on one episode that going over three hosts kind of creates too much chaos and is not very listenable, but I think this kind of formation worked really well. I didn't notice anyone overpowering anyone and everyone got their say here and there. Very enjoyable. I hope you guys keep going with 4-5 hosts.

Definitely I can see where it turns into a mess with other podcasts, but this was great.

Guitar Hero math!

I couldn't find the exact dimensions online, but the guitar is a rough 3/4 scale replica of a Gibson SG, whose dimensions are available. It's a weird shape, but I came up with about 0.005 m^3 per guitar (which is probably ~20-30% bigger than the actual guitar but I figure that can account for stacking leaving air gaps.)

The top selling Guitar Hero game was GHIII, which sold about 8 million copies. The top selling Rock Band game sold about 4 million units. Let's call it 12 million plastic guitars.

The base of One World Trade Center is 3700 m^2.

If you stacked up 12 million plastics guitars on an area the size of One World Trade Center, the stack would be 16 meters / 52 feet / 5 storeys high.

Hot Bloodbeef tipz: PARRY

Parry parry parry

It can take a while to get the timing down, but parrying makes some fights trivial:

And don't forget that you have items! Even if you don't hit, a well-timed Molotov can interrupt an enemy's movement pattern by making it dodge. I've taken out difficult NPC hunters by just tagging them with poisoned throwing knives and avoiding their attacks as they slowly die from the effect.

Also, if you're looking for a human-devoid post-apocalyptic world, I recommend checking out Eidolon. It's set in a "post-human" Washington state, with all kinds of story and background bits to explore and find. It has some very light survival mechanics, but they're pretty easy to manage and non-intrusive.

Guitar Hero Live 2 should have you play as Weird Al, since you can just slide Al right into a cover of any given song.

Guitar Hero Live 2 should have you play as Weird Al, since you can just slide Al right into a cover of any given song.

And it should come with an accordion peripheral.

Aaaahh my ridiculous hair game got a mention on the show! Wow, crazy. Thanks Jake!

For anyone who hasn't been hanging around the Wizard Jam subforum:

If you want to take part and have your hair featured in a goofy game, go to the webform and submit a photo. The game is pretty much done at this point, but I'm going to keep adding any submissions I get up until the jam deadline.

Guitar Hero math!

I couldn't find the exact dimensions online, but the guitar is a rough 3/4 scale replica of a Gibson SG, whose dimensions are available. It's a weird shape, but I came up with about 0.005 m^3 per guitar (which is probably ~20-30% bigger than the actual guitar but I figure that can account for stacking leaving air gaps.)

The top selling Guitar Hero game was GHIII, which sold about 8 million copies. The top selling Rock Band game sold about 4 million units. Let's call it 12 million plastic guitars.

The base of One World Trade Center is 3700 m^2.

If you stacked up 12 million plastics guitars on an area the size of One World Trade Center, the stack would be 16 meters / 52 feet / 5 storeys high.

Please email this to [email protected]!