Sign in to follow this  
Soren Johnson

Designer Notes 6: Chelsea Howe

In this episode, Adam Saltsman interviews Chelsea Howe, who is a Creative Director at EA Mobile. She is best known for her work at TinyCo, where she led the design of Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff, and for her community efforts organizing the Queerness and Games Conference, the Global Game Jam in San Francisco, student workshops, and more. They discuss how DAU's and LTV's compare to Quarterback Ratings, why F2P games end up as conservative as AAA games, why mobile devs have to pay people to play their games, and if a game is worthwhile if the player isn't learning something.

Games Discussed: Choice Chamber, Renga, Twitch Plays Pokemon, Candy Crush Saga, Dragon Age series, Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/chelsea-howe

I enjoyed this one, I particularly liked Adam's real talk about Candy Crush.

I enjoyed this one, I particularly liked Adam's real talk about Candy Crush.

I agree. I actually ended up downloading it again, but as I'm playing it this time I'm paying way more attention to the mechanics.

I'm surprised neither Chelsea nor Adam brought up Flower and Journey in the discussion about the pure joy of flying in games. Flight is really central to both of them and they both do it extremely well.