Sign in to follow this  
savdec449

Game theory/studies (academic) reading group

Would anyone be interested in doing something like this over the summer? I'm in a position where I have nothing structured to do with my life between now and starting grad school in the fall, and I'd love to have an excuse to put together a reading list with smart folks such as yrselves. Basically, we'd hit the big names (Bogost, Galloway, Jagoda), as well as anything you guy suggest, in manageable, article-length chunks about once every two weeks. Especially in light of the recent kerfuffles concerning game criticism and politics, it might be interesting to think about what a critical understanding of games entails, and what purposes game studies might have that is unique to it as an area of study. If people are interested, I can put together a mock-up schedule/ list of real readings!

This would actually be pretty useful for me, considering that my own grad research is somewhat in this area. I'll add Critical Play by Mary Flanagan to the reading list.

Heya!

If you don't mind something that is lighter on the theoretical aspect, I've actually been putting together a group like this recently. We haven't started yet, but surprisingly a lot of people have signed up for it, so it should be good for the discussion aspect. We will be reading formative games crit and sample works alongside game studies though.

tberton, that sounds great--I'll add it to whatever list we wind up using!

Deadpan, that sounds fun as well--I've signed up since free time isn't exactly something I lack. 

I'm definitely interested in this - I'm graduating in about three weeks and I need stuff to keep me busy and productive over the summer, haha.

Homo ludens - Johan Huizinga is basically the first book on any such reading list. Do that one, it's brilliant.