Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

Gamecube or Xbox

There's really no need, since this thread is about Xbox and Cube :)

The Dreamcast also had a pretty nice controller to hold...it introduced the spring shoulder buttons too (and Microsoft basically ripped the whole design off for their first controller, the only difference is about 20lbs of plastic on the Xbox controller). The only problem is that it looked pretty damn retarded, alot of people feelt that way towards the gamecube controller. It looks like a Fisher Price toy, 'My First Controller' or something.

I got Gamecube over the weekend and overall I'm disappointed.

First off it's not a cube. It's more like 6"x6"x4". This is the most blatant false advertising I've seen. They should rightfully call it "Gamebox"

And it only comes with ONE game (Metroid Prime). XBox came with two (Halo and Amped, although it was 150 bucks more expensive). And they make you buy memory cards which are twice as expensive as the system.

Metroid Prime blows. What's the point of making the hero character a woman if you're not gonna dress her up in a bikini or some other revealing outfit? I didn't even know it was a woman until she got killed and made that girlish scream.

I heard nice things about Zelda games so I got the collector's edition, and the graphics suck. And the hero's name isn't Zelda. WTF?

I give Gamebox 3 stars out of my 18 star rating system.

Only now do I see how correct you are! I shall throw this piece of flawed machinery directly into the waste disposal unit!

I recommend Nintendo 64 with Mario64. I seriously have missed out on the Gamecube Mario, since I've heard about no hype about it, or no cheers. Is it any good? Is Luigis Mansion even compareable with Mario64?

I suggest you find a game you REALLY have desire, regardless plattform/console and then just buy that game and its console. It will give you more worth, and more gamevalue than selecting plattform/console first.

Black and white could be better, but it's pretty much just two extra buttons that PS2 (which is more similar to the Xbox S than the Cube's controller) doesn't have.

Except the PS2 has two shoulder buttons on each side, while the XBox instead has single annoying versions of the Dreamcast throttle-shoulder-trigger buttons on each side.

Jayel I hope your post was more than half-joking, because otherwise :fart: and JBRAA - Luigis Mansion isn't the Mario game on the Cube, Mario Sunshine is, and it's very fun. It's not too different from Mario 64, but I had just as much fun with it as I did with Mario 64 - it's just a lot of very fluid, well-built jump and swing 3D platforming puzzles and the occasional boss battle... but I haven't played a platformer I enjoyed as much as that since Mario 64.

The controller on the original PSX was fine for me, and playing a game like ICO on PS2, that controls for that one were okay too.

But now that I'm playing Fable on Xbox, it's slightly tricky. Overall I do like how the controller feels in my hand, it's beefy and feels substantial (compared to PS2). Psychologically it affects me in that I feel I have more control over the game. The tricky part involves the triggers. I think it may have to do with the horizontal angle of their placement, it feels slightly wrong when, for example I need to strafe my character left or right using the triggers.

I was half joking.

Now, seriously, what's up with the small discs? I almost inhaled one the other day.

I think they made the diss small on the gamecube so japanese youth would think they're cute. Then they claimed to Americans that it was to reduce piracy by using a nonstandard format.

And then developers were sad because they had so much less disc space on the Cube, and gamers were sad because they couldn't play dvds or audio cd's on their cube despite the spot where you put the disc being like 2cm too small to hold afull size disc.

A dubious decision, at most. However, I have utmost confidence in them straightening this out on their next console.

Oh, and the weird things you mentioned about the Nintendo games, that in the Zelda series you do not play as Zelda and the conservitveness of Samus, is exactaly why I like them. The conventions of thousands of years of story evolution in America and outher parts of the world were totaly unheard of by the Japinese, so the geniuses at Nintendo were able create something totaly out there. Of course this lack of evolution is exactly why I don't like most anime, but that's a different rant.

A good thing about those tiny disks is that load times are improved (supposedly)...I must admit load times in most gamecube games are pleasantly short, if they exist at all.

As for Super Mario Sunshine, I agree with Jake, its probably the most fun platformer since N64, and it takes out alot of the painful mistakes made by poorly placed camera or difficulty judging distances. That makes gameplay alot less tedious. The parts where you play without the water pack are pure Mario fun...kind of makes one wish they'd just made a whole game like that.

Well, they wanted to make something new, so I understand the water pack. Plus they still put in areas wihtout it for nostalgia.

Also: Wind Waker Rules. Period. No arguement. And Viewtiful Joe. I know it's out for PS2, but it's not out on XBOX. oH AND Twin Snakes.

Man........I hated Mario 64.

Or rather, I hated it after about two days. It was a huuuuuuuge game, but you just sort of went and did the exact same thing over and over again in different settings (which really isn't that different from a lot of games, but for some reason it didn't do anything for me in Mario 64). Got boring very quickly.

Super Mario Sunshine was a game that made me promise myself I would not forget how frustrating it was. Those erratic geometric abstract levels were at times difficult and unforgiving enough to make me quit the game for a few months. This has nothing to do with challenging game design, but everything with frustrating the heck out of the player. At one particular level I plunged to my death some thirty times in a row, and I got completely fed up. Only through my persistance to want to finish all the games I have, did I reach for it later and completed all those dreadful stages (admittedly, I got better at them with practice), but I can easily see all but the most seasoned platformer having a really dreary time with Sunshine.

When I finished the game, I was really relieved and started to actually appreciate the game and all of its merits. But I made a promise to myself not to forget how I also had a really rotten time with it. Therefore Mario Sunshine is an ambiguous experience for me.

Super Mario Sunshine was a game that made me promise myself I would not forget how frustrating it was. Those erratic geometric abstract levels were at times difficult and unforgiving enough to make me quit the game for a few months. This has nothing to do with challenging game design, but everything with frustrating the heck out of the player. At one particular level I plunged to my death some thirty times in a row, and I got completely fed up. Only through my persistance to want to finish all the games I have, did I reach for it later and completed all those dreadful stages (admittedly, I got better at them with practice), but I can easily see all but the most seasoned platformer having a really dreary time with Sunshine.

When I finished the game, I was really relieved and started to actually appreciate the game and all of its merits. But I made a promise to myself not to forget how I also had a really rotten time with it. Therefore Mario Sunshine is an ambiguous experience for me.

Yeah, that was more or less the verdict the 12 minute Gamespot video review gave too. http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer_new2.html?title=Super+Mario+Sunshine+Video+Review&path=smsusvr.asx&pid=533287&ppath=gamecube%2Faction%2Fsupermariosunshine&ksubmoid=47d9dbe5-8cbe-6a8e-136e-265f82c581bf&urdate=1030258800",%20"",%20718,%20500)

Gamecube is well better than the Xbox. Something I noticed here that hasn't been mentioned so far is what the Sonic fanatic would buy. Sure, you can get Sonic Heroes for PS2 and Xbox. But you get more Sonic games for the Gamecube. Plus, loading times are better on the Gamecube. I once rented Sonic Heroes for PS2 despite already having it for Gamecube and I find that I prefered the Gamecubes loading times.

Nothing wrong with xbox loading times though. especially if you put a... uhhh... back up of a game on the hard drive and... uhhh... remember to delete it after 24 hours... or something similar :shifty:

I'd say xbox just for the overall usefullness of the thing. Who cares if it's big and ugly. It can do more, or it can do it more easily anyhow.

Decide what games you really, really want to play and then choose a console based on that. Or just get both you cheap bastard.

PlusSoulCalibur2isbetterontheXboxdon'targueit'safactandLinkisaponcyelfshitanywayandspawnwouldkickhisgayelfass.

Nothing wrong with xbox loading times though. especially if you put a... uhhh... back up of a game on the hard drive and... uhhh... remember to delete it after 24 hours... or something similar :shifty:

I'd say xbox just for the overall usefullness of the thing. Who cares if it's big and ugly. It can do more, or it can do it more easily anyhow.

Decide what games you really, really want to play and then choose a console based on that. Or just get both you cheap bastard.

PlusSoulCalibur2isbetterontheXboxdon'targueit'safactandLinkisaponcyelfshitanywayandspawnwouldkickhisgayelfass.

Link>Gannondorf, Gannondorf>Spawn, therefore Link>Spawn

Whaddyaknow, algebra is useful for something.