Old News Belida

[Release] The Lord of the Donk - A Print & Play Microgame

Hello! I guess here's a thing I'm now working on after finding out about this here Wizard Jam the other day.

post-35176-0-93480300-1429277260_thumb.png

I'm pulling from two episode titles:

• Idle Thumbs 148: The Octopus in My Mind
  • Idle Thumbs 47: The Lord of the Donk

Each will be a small print & play tabletop game. I'm headlong into The Lord of the Donk, and have a pretty good idea of the kind of game The Octopus in My Mind will be. Once I have either in working state, I'll toss up a .pdf for print & play and hopefully toss a Steam Workshop version that anyone with Tabletop Simulator could grab and test out!

UPDATE 4/27: I was unable to scrape together The Octopus in my Mind, but did manage to submit The Lord of the Donk!

http://oldnewsbelida.itch.io/the-lord-of-the-donk ]

The Lord of the Donk

post-35176-0-22706100-1429280152_thumb.jpg

IT IS THE FUTURE, AND THERE ARE SPORTS.

This particular one involves players racing along a path using attack cards to smash through barriers of various strength in order to be the first one to run headfirst into the D.O.N.K. The De-Rezzing Obstacle of Noble Kamikaze. (I don't even know)

Players have a hand of barrier cards with various strengths, and a hand of attack cards with various power. The first player plays a barrier card face down, then as many attack cards, face down, as they want to equal or exceed the barrier strength. Other players then play their attack cards, not knowing the barrier strength, hoping to have enough attack power but not too much lest they waste some attack power. First player then goes to whoever is furthest behind, or simply to the left if everyone is at a tie.

Making it / not making it through a barrier will affect how far you get to move that turn.

That's the basic outline! Some possible barriers and attacks for the game:

Barriers (lower number = weaker):

• Giant pop screen, 0
  • Various Lord paintings, 1
  • A shitty wizard's robe, 2
  • Ben Throttle's leather jacket, 3

Attacks:

• The Remo roundhouse
  • The Jake juke
  • Big Bird's sonic baboom
  • Shitty magic missile

The Octopus in My Mind

First thoughts for this is some kind of social deception / deduction game like The Resistance or Coup.

The game will have 8 cards or rounds; something to theme it to OCTOPI.

Something about a LITERAL OCTOPUS that has taken over one of the players' mind. Have to figure out who it is? Could go in the direction of something like Love Letter as well.

The Lord of the Donk

Had a great playtesting session today with a friend. Got the numbers for attacks / barriers down to a good place that seems to be balanced and usually resulted in a close call at the end.

post-35176-0-93774700-1429498929_thumb.jpg

Testing today ended up at barriers having a strength of up to five, and attacks maxing out at three. Five slot long track.

Some quick barrier card mock-ups. Simple.

post-35176-0-95659600-1429499567_thumb.png post-35176-0-16268300-1429499567_thumb.png

Putting the finishing touches on the print & play .pdf! Going to load them into Tabletop Simulator to take some screenshots for the rulebook. Cutting it close, but thank goodness for that extension. Busy work week, newborn duties, etc.

Ideally I'd have liked to have different objects for each of the barriers, and different attacks, too; so that none are repeated. Also add art to the attacks!

post-35176-0-71366600-1430078916_thumb.jpg

post-35176-0-58997000-1430079002_thumb.jpg

Now that The Lord of the Donk is out, submitted to itch.io, and also available for Tabletop Simulator via the Steam Workshop, I'm going to brush up some of the things I wanted to but didn't have time to tackle for the game jam.

• Create different barriers for each of the strengths, so that there aren't 10 of the same 1 strength pop screen barrier, etc. Same for the attacks.
  • Work with an artist to rework / create consistent art for all of the cards, including attacks.
  • Add some diagrams / art to the rulebook to make it more friendly. Have smart people proof read it / suggest changes for clarity etc.

Having it alternatively available as a Tabletop Simulator game is a great idea!

Thanks! Might as well make it easy as possible for people to play.

And to anyone that owns Tabletop Simulator: just let me know, I'd be happy to play a game of The Lord of the Donk! And please, if you have any feedback as far as the jumbled rulebook goes, do let me know.

I'll second zerofiftyone here, going to the effort of setting it up for Tabletop Simulator was much appreciated. Will try to play with some friends soon...!

--Rev