Jake

Idle Thumbs 206: Owen Wilson's Nose

Idle Thumbs 206:

688__header.jpg

Owen Wilson's Nose

Before Owen Wilson's nose was attached, this world was a lot for Old Granny Dreamcast to take in. That newfangled headgear you're supposed to be wearing now. Games on telephones. The instruments everyone carried around a couple years ago seemed to be coming back. "Be a rock star," said one new title, as a crowd threw cups at her and booed. "This isn't what it feels like. This is it." After the nose though, nothing. No sickness, no disorientation, no more feeling alone. Old Granny Dreamcast straps on her guitar, jumps on the "AM Ballads" stream and is gone.

Things Discussed: Guitar Hero Live, Wizard Jam, Different Games, Bottle Rockets, Axiom Verge, Ori and the Blind Forest, Rop, Duet, Drop7™

I can't find the link to the Nick Breckon Soundboard I want to play with this and my alf soundboard in unison thanks in advance.

RE Guitar Hero 5th button, I actually was never able to do that reliably, my pinkies are really weak and hard to use.

how does a nick breckon soundboard exist and yet it doesn't include 'baby game' 'game for babies' 

how does a nick breckon soundboard exist and yet it doesn't include 'baby game' 'game for babies' 

I think it's all from the recording of Nick in episode 58, "A Castro Situation," which is the only time that he's been able to say a full sentence without interruption.

I'm so gratified that my Axiom Verge thread title got mentioned. I essentially only made that thread so that I could use that title. I have learned much from Jake's way with words.

Ori's combat is pretty awful up to the point where you realize that you can use Bash to reflect projectiles back to the tougher enemies. Makes quick work of them.

Was this week's opening music a mix without vocals and has this been subtly different every week or am I legitimately going crazy

Wow, that Frank Lantz story is amazing.

Two years ago in the Episode 96 episode thread, I had mentioned that I was addicted to Chain Factor, going so far as to play an Internet Archive copy of it after the official site went down.

Chris then replied that Chain Factor was the same game as Drop7.  I felt like a fool; I knew I was playing a game that was somehow connected to the show Numbers, but to know that it was just a rip-off of some professional game?  So shameful!

I never did download Drop7, though.  I kept playing Chain Factor.  I played it this morning.

So now to learn that Chain Factor was the original version of this game makes me...actually, I'm still playing a futile Flash game habitually for 4+ years, so I guess I'm now just experiencing a slightly different flavor of shame...

Was this week's opening music a mix without vocals and has this been subtly different every week or am I legitimately going crazy

I think Chris once said he likes to mix up the arrangement a little and play with it rather than always using a straight up reuse of a canonical theme. In this case particularly I think it might be cause some people have remarked that they particularly enjoyed the first appearance without any audio.

I am suddenly compelled to listen to all 200+ themes in a row to head the minor differences.

Very glad that the StSanders "shreds" videos were referenced!

Those are the best.

One thing I couldn't help thinking about during the discussion about abstract games with tacked on themes is comparing it to music. I feel like there is a lot of music made with singing & lyrics that doesn't necessarily need any of that, but releasing and performing instrumental music necessarily means you are limiting your appeal because most people just won't have any interest in instrumental music. It doesn't quite track the same way since the human voice definitely adds a unique musical quality to any given piece of music, but certainly in my mind most lyrics are pretty arbitrary and they don't have anything to do with the actual piece of music being performed, and they can potentially close off certain emotional associations a person might develop with a piece of music.

I am wondering if I should submit this as a reader email but probably it's just best to re-hash the topic from my own perspective here but doing a podcast (as people who have read what I've written in the Other Podcasts thread in main) has been easily one of the most liberating things I've done in my career as a media creator/critic. Having a space that is completely dedicated to expressing my opinions with only very minimal pushback (from an unruly guest or comment section) with often only other women or marginalized people really makes you feel a ton better and makes you realize how important and valid those conversations are. Granted, some of my podcast "persona" is more "on" than I am myself in private but most of what people hear us talk about on Justice Points is really just us, hashing out our feelings about things like sexism or being feminists in gaming spaces. Podcasting, by the nature of its format, really makes it a thorny thing to try and just passively attack because it requires so much more energy to sift through. That being said, I wish more podcasts DID feature marginalized people because so much of it is still just white dudes due to learning curve and tech costs required. I would also love if more podcasts transcribed their audio for the purposes of low bandwidth listeners or listeners who are HoH/d/Deaf. 

All in all, I really couldn't ask for a better, more fulfilling thing as a feminist gamer than to get to routinely talk to cool women who work in and around games to give me their honest opinion about gaming, their work, and their thoughts in general. Having someone like Danielle and her GF Patricia on the show to talk about serious but also funny stuff in gaming is really enriching and I'm amazed I get to do it every week. 

One thing I couldn't help thinking about during the discussion about abstract games with tacked on themes is comparing it to music. I feel like there is a lot of music made with singing & lyrics that doesn't necessarily need any of that, but releasing and performing instrumental music necessarily means you are limiting your appeal because most people just won't have any interest in instrumental music. It doesn't quite track the same way since the human voice definitely adds a unique musical quality to any given piece of music, but certainly in my mind most lyrics are pretty arbitrary and they don't have anything to do with the actual piece of music being performed, and they can potentially close off certain emotional associations a person might develop with a piece of music.

I kind of see the analogy here, but I love lyrics in music and they are generally the entry point for my emotional connection with a song, rather than closing things off.

I see what you're getting at but I don't think it's quite the same thing. Song lyrics are sung with melody, in harmony with the music of the song. When sung, lyrics literally become music; the voice is itself a musical instrument. It blends together (for most people, and for most reasonably well made music, anyway). I think narration or captioning on top of unrelated video game gameplay comes off as much more artificially inserted much of the time.

Also think about some of your favorite lyrics of all time and then write them down and read them out loud, unaffected. Chances are they won't mean that much divorced from music. 

Also think about some of your favorite lyrics of all time and then write them down and read them out loud, unaffected. Chances are they won't mean that much divorced from music. 

"I was gonna clean my room until I got high

I was gonna get up and find the broom but then I got high

my room is still messed up and I know why (why man?) yea heyy,

- cause I got high [repeat 3X]"

Reading this out loud in a somber voice makes it sound like it belongs in a "Don't do drugs" commercial.