zerofiftyone

[RELEASE] Could I borrow your hair? (I Like the Hair)

I had an idea on the train this morning as I was relistening to this week's podcast. I think I want to make Jake's suggested interpretation of "I Like the Hair" as a joke minigame. Basically it'd be a game in which you're presented various portraits and asked if you like the hair or not. 

And I thought it might be even better if the game featured pics of folks from the Thumbs community.

What do you all think? Is this a good idea? If people are prepared to do this I'll set up some kind of webform for submitting your pics.

Edit:

Alright, I've put up a quick webform for picture submissions. Here it is: http://goo.gl/forms/QwoVQT6TBD

If you want your beautiful mug to appear in a video game about hair, send me a picture!

I guess it's worth saying just for clarity that I won't be distributing any of these pictures to anyone or using them for anything other than this. 

THANKS GUYS

Edit #2: This game is done and you can play it! It's accessible via a cheat code in my other game, Shoot That Pizza. In the main menu, type in the secret code "puffin"!

Sweet! Are there any things that will make your job easier, in terms of lighting or angle of shot? Like, will you be editing out backgrounds or anything? Or just using the photos as they are?

Done!

Suggestion: Maybe you keep track of how popular a certain hair is, so that you can tell the player if he agrees with the average or not, Walking Dead style?

That would turn the game into a forum-wide 'Who Has The Best Hair' contest!

I'm into that.

Sweet! Are there any things that will make your job easier, in terms of lighting or angle of shot? Like, will you be editing out backgrounds or anything? Or just using the photos as they are?

Not really. The photos will be presented on the screen as polaroid prints, so there'll be no need for background removal or anything like that.

Done!

Suggestion: Maybe you keep track of how popular a certain hair is, so that you can tell the player if he agrees with the average or not, Walking Dead style?

Ooh this is a good idea. It delves into some technical territory I'm not all that familiar with so I don't really know how large a task that is to implement, but it would be potentially pretty fun. On the other hand I wouldn't want to be responsible for making anybody feel bad if they found out their own hair was universally disliked. Even though it's clearly not mean-spirited, I wouldn't want my dumb minigame to genuinely upset anyone.

K I uploaded a photo! Let me know if you want a higher res version of it or something. Looking forward to this!

K I uploaded a photo! Let me know if you want a higher res version of it or something. Looking forward to this!

Cheers! Your photo's res was fine btw. They're all going to be cropped and resized to 512x512, so anything above that resolution is adequate. 

This is getting exciting.

I'll pitch in a hair picture. Do you want a picture of the whole head, or just cropped to focus on the hair? I figure my stupid face could take away from my otherwise normal hair if included.

Oh man I'm excited about this! I like the splash screen already. Glad to be part of the team. ;)

How big would you like the images to be? My sister unearthed me as a smug high school senior, possibly the only time I've had hair that approaches likable.

:)

Hey thanks! Anything larger than 512x512 is fine. A smug high school senior picture sounds perfect.

I'm looking forward to working on this some more tonight now that it's the weekend. I've been busy with work and other stuff all week, so it'll be nice to have a full couple of days to myself. 

Weird Request...

Silly idea...

High likelihood of embarrassment...

I'm in!

I've participated! Funny idea! 

Thanks guys! You're both in the game now :)