Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 26: On The Wings Of Love

Speaking of LOST coming to Twin Peaks, I've always taken the black-light map discovered in the hatch to be a shout out to both the Twin Peaks chalk board map which is then replaced by Andy's version of the petroglyph from the cave. Every one of those maps seems to be designed as window dressing or narrative 'enhancements' for fans to deconstruct rather than actual maps which would play an explicit story role. 

That Gordon Cole and Shelley stuff was weird, but it pretty much highlights how Madchen Amick may be the best actor on the show. I don't know, but I always like when she shows up, seems way more professional. Plus she's extremely pretty, so I guess there's that.

I don't think I've seen her in anything important or worthwhile over the decades since. Seems like she's just been in a bunch of sleazy movies or guest parts on shows. Seems like a lot of wasted potential, but I don't know maybe a lot of directors have simply passed on her auditions for "better" movies or TV.

I didn't notice this back then, but she played one of Don's old flirts on Mad Men in one episode!

Yeah, her performance is always natural in a way most of the other's isn't. I hope Twin Peaks 2016 happens just so she gets a major TV role again!

I guess I was more down on this episode than most people. I agree with richardco's assessment that she's just as bad as Billy Zane's character. Like my reaction to her back story was like, did the writers come up with this when they realized how flat her acting was? I also thought Cooper laying it on thick at the bar was way out of character (the diner scene felt more believable though).

Also man, I must have blocked out Owl Cave because I don't remember this at all. What a goofy conceit.

This episode was the best for ages in large part thanks to Gordon Cole. Really funny episode, not always intentionally Laughed through most of James' dopey voice over.

Re: the spoiler discussion on FWWM,

Interestingly, the symbol on the Owl Cave Ring is elongated compared to what we see in the cave on the show:

owl2.jpgOwl Cave Symbol in Twin Peaks

giphy.gifOwl Cave Ring in FWWM

Someone on another board observed that the elongated symbol on the ring looks less like an owl, and more like an ear of corn (complete with the stalk below the diamond-shaped ear, which is not on the cave symbol). I love that theory, since the owl motif is completely dropped from the film but corn (i.e. garmonbozia) becomes predominant, and is associated with "pain and sorrow" (as is the ring, one could argue).

I doubt this was intended by Lynch - he probably just felt the elongated symbol looked better aesthetically - but considering how open to interpretation he leaves this stuff, I like to roll with it.

So that whole assassin thing? Er. Her boss is dead and she still goes to murder Harry in a way which is elaborate and ruins the plan anyway? Top work just senseless titilation I think. 

“Hey Audrey I knew your grandad, by the way if you’re gonna flirt you better be willing to have sex with me in my crap jumper”. 

The first sign of old cooper!!! Clearly his remedy is a ruse (no it’s an actual remedy and much like everything else about coop it’s basically cribbed off Cole?). 

The whole card playing thing was laboured. I bet it sounded cool in the meeting room. 

Man i thought Horne and Donnas mum would be something more innocuous. Donna should just stop nosing around - even the doc doesn’t want to know [again]  (which as my partner pointed out didn’t end well for harold). 

The whole diner scene was weird. Is it meant to imply COLES entire hearing thing is a scam?

Series 3

Spoiler

Albert doesn’t buy it  

I like how coop is framed to be watching this palaver. 

Coop is drawing some tattoos but they are different to before. Garland had three triangles not three diamonds! This lack of caring about the tattoos just seems to be a thing (see the secret history for more) 

laughing laughing laughing Owl cave. 

Annie does feel like a pseudo coop though. 

I think Earle is a really weird character. Any time he’s with people he’s really good but on his own he’s more often a goof. 

I wonder if they said pete enough times for the microphone. 

I like the whole audrey and Horne scene and especially that Horne keeps a carrot cigar in his pocket. 

Why do they do this much of owl cave then...go home?