Sign in to follow this  
BryGuy

[Dev Log] I'll Kill The Last Alien

I joined the forums specifically for this Game Jam (after hearing about it on the Podcast).

Its my first game jam, but I've had some experience with Unity and Blender. So I figured it'd be worth a shot.

I had trouble thinking of a good game/title to use. Then I went back a listened to a few and got inspired when Nick was discussing the floating aliens in Crysis Warhead (and how the end boss' corpse ultimately fell on him and ruined the ending, twice).

I'm coming into this a bit late, but here's the idea simply laid out:

2D game that involves the player free falling from the sky. On your way down, you'll blast as many hovering aliens out of the sky as you can.

If there's time, I'll add add a point system and some upgrades.

Check out the playable build

Mouse Aims.

Click to shoot.

R - Resets level.

Edited by BryGuy

Got some modeling done:

playerscreen.png

The player. A futuristic exo-suit space marine with a bit of a gummy bear vibe.

alienscreen.png

Your standard, run of the mill, jet-packing alien.

I've already added armatures; so the next step is to set them up as ragdolls and get them falling.

I love the look of the models. 

Is there a high number of polygons or is it a normal map or texture that gives it that wrinkly look?

Normal Map - Their poly count is relatively low.

I usually fiddle around with Nvidia's Texture tools after painting the texture. For the most part, it does a good job making the textures pop without too much effort.

Quick Update:

- Modelled a pistol

- Alien and player models are ragdolled

- Alien Jetpacks work (applies upward force to the Alien's rigidbody)

I'm currently experimenting with aiming and how it'll affect the player ragdoll. I'm also trying to decide if I want bullets to be acutal game objects, or raycasts.

g63KStw.png

Finally got some more time to work on this today. 

- Modeled some organs (because gore)

- Added clouds (the sprites are placeholders) to show you're falling. Without them, there was no sense that you were falling.

- Aliens aim their weapon at you, but don't shoot (for now).

- Gun has a sight to show where you'll be shooting.

- Jetpacks blow up when you shoot them

- Counter/UI shows Headshots, Jetpack Explosions, Total Kills, and Distance to the ground.

28siihA.png

I'm still getting ragdoll/physics glitches that I need to resolve. Hopefully I'll find the time to work them out soon.

Check out the first playable build

Mouse Aims.

Click to shoot.

R - Resets level.

Not quite the look and feel I have in mind for the final build, but at least I got some placeholders in there.

That's pretty fun.

The most exciting parts for me were when it felt like an alien was doing the sky-dive action-sequence thing where they come at you fast, grab you, and change your velocity.

Sign in to follow this