Sign in to follow this  
nkornek

[DevLog] Rich Uncle VS Cool Uncle

16auxzn.png

NOW AVAILABLE

Rich Uncle vs Cool Uncle is a game of uncular rivalries that can only be settled by one thing: throwing that other uncle into the pool.

Nightly Builds

04/24/2015 - v1.0 - initial release

04/22/2015 - v0.1.1 - fixed cool uncle's controls being incorrectly written as Left Control (should be Right, whoops). Fixed graphics settings for downloadable build.

04/21/2015 - v0.1 - first complete alpha build

04/20/2015 - v0.0.8 - Pre-game lobby

04/19/2015 - v0.0.7 - Proper camera tracking. Thumbs as weapons

04/18/2015 - v0.0.6 - TOOLS OF DESTRUNCLE

04/16/2015 - v0.0.5 - unconscious players can be picked up and thrown (slightly buggy)

04/15/2015 - v0.0.4 - primary level geometry

04/14/2015 - v0.0.3 - implemented throwing of obstacles

04/12/2015 - v0.0.2 - improved movement, obstacles
04/11/2015 - v0.0.1 - basic movement

Latest progress GIF:

SardonicArcticBeauceron.gif

*ORIGINAL POST*

I started working on my wizardjam game, Rich Uncle VS Cool Uncle, tonight. It's going to be a 2 player competitive brawler where the uncles try to throw each other into a pool while at a family BBQ.

So far I've just had time to make the player sprites and movement, but I like the way it's going so far.
WearyBestBalloonfish.gif

MedicalEachCapeghostfrog.gif

Update gif

I rewrote my movement code to better allow movement in 3D space with multiple elevations.

Also now there's a barbecue that knocks you out if you jump on it.

Next step will be to make the barbecue able to be picked up and thrown.

SimplisticFoolishIbisbill.gif

Awesome!  Admittedly, I'm curious how you are doing layer sorting in Unity 2D?

(I'll admit, it's probably pretty easy but I haven't looked into it yet...)

Awesome!  Admittedly, I'm curious how you are doing layer sorting in Unity 2D?

(I'll admit, it's probably pretty easy but I haven't looked into it yet...)

I'm actually fully using 3D space, with the sprites set at a 45 degree angle to face the camera, that's how I can have 3D geometry and get proper elevation use for the movement without the need to write any code to fake it.

If you are doing full 2D and faking the depth effect (like my build from yesterday was), there's a relatively simple way to do the layer sorting so that things higher up on the y end up being sorted further back, to give the illusion that they are behind the other objects. You just make your sorting layer script be based off of a negative interpretation of their y coordinate.

Here's a line of code like what I used yesterday (yup, it only takes 1 line!)

gameObject.GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>().sortingOrder = -(Mathf.FloorToInt(transform.position.y * 100));

Unity can only accept integers as values for sprite sorting, so you need to round it off. If you're dealing with very small objects (my sprites are 32x32) and don't want to scale them too much, just multiply their y coordinate by a large number (like 100) first.

Hope that answers your question!

To celebrate the release of MK X, tonight's build of Rich Uncle vs Cool Uncle is filled with uncle on uncle violence.

HoarseLawfulHousefly.gif

yes, there are burger physics

I really like this art style! Is your 3D orthographic? You don't see that enough in games! The movement looks fun, too.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to use orthographic 3D or just a regular perspective camera. It'll probably depend on how the final background looks with the rest of the models and sprites thrown in.

I'm actually fully using 3D space, with the sprites set at a 45 degree angle to face the camera, that's how I can have 3D geometry and get proper elevation use for the movement without the need to write any code to fake it.

If you are doing full 2D and faking the depth effect (like my build from yesterday was), there's a relatively simple way to do the layer sorting so that things higher up on the y end up being sorted further back, to give the illusion that they are behind the other objects. You just make your sorting layer script be based off of a negative interpretation of their y coordinate.

Here's a line of code like what I used yesterday (yup, it only takes 1 line!)

gameObject.GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>().sortingOrder = -(Mathf.FloorToInt(transform.position.y * 100));

Unity can only accept integers as values for sprite sorting, so you need to round it off. If you're dealing with very small objects (my sprites are 32x32) and don't want to scale them too much, just multiply their y coordinate by a large number (like 100) first.

Hope that answers your question!

It might be an over-optimizing question but, is that code getting the component every frame? Does that slow it down significantly?

It might be an over-optimizing question but, is that code getting the component every frame? Does that slow it down significantly?

You could definitely shorten it with a direct reference. In a small project like this there's not really any noticeable performance difference. I'm just lazy and would rather type a few extra words than assign things in the editor.

The mix of 2D and 3D in that gif makes for a really nice sense of scale. Will love to try the build when it is available.

There's a link to the nightly builds in the first post!

Celebratory mentioned-on-the-podcast update!

DelightfulSoftBrownbear.gif

Nooooo, J! Damn you, Kotick!

It's looking pretty stellar already! I was wondering if you're planing on differentiating the uncles beyond their look? Maybe if the rich uncle gets hit he drops a bunch of coins.

It's looking pretty stellar already! I was wondering if you're planing on differentiating the uncles beyond their look? Maybe if the rich uncle gets hit he drops a bunch of coins.

There was a point where rich uncle just dropped coins everywhere but it was super excessive. Maybe I'll put it back in and make it just happen when he gets hit, like you suggested.

Tonight's build is adding in a whole slew of new yard things to pick up and throw around. 

So far we've got

• BBQ
  • Table
  • Bench
  • Chairs
  • Sprinkler (with ridiculous particle water spouts)
  • Rake
  • Shovel
  • Bag of leaves
  • Bucket of sand (there's now a sandbox area in the yard)

Anyone have any suggestions for stuff they'd like to see? I'm trying to keep the violence level low, so nothing that would horribly kill someone (like, no lawnmowers)

Here it comes, the TOOLS OF DESTRUNCLE update!

HardtofindSlimyChupacabra.gif

build link is in the original post, as usual.

Sign in to follow this