zerofiftyone

[RELEASE] Shoot that Pizza / I Like the Hair

pE6INcV.png

I was undecided on whether or not I'd make something for this; I'm going to be really short on time but at the same time I've been getting so excited at seeing other peoples' entries. So I thought I may as well try and see what I can get done and have some fun with it.

I'm going to be doing an interpretation of Episode 113: SHOOT THAT PIZZA using Unreal Engine 4. I have some half formed gameplay ideas at the moment and a general idea of how it will look, so I'm going to take some tomorrow to think about what exactly I'll be making and the manner in which I'll be doing it. Maybe I'll make a task list on Trello...

General idea is: Game where you shoot at pizzas skeet shooting style, but you're firing various toppings instead of bullets. More details to follow!

I had a bit of time this afternoon to start on this properly. I wanted to spend some more time planning out how I'm going to build the game's various bits and pieces in a semi-efficient manner, but at the same time I didn't want to spend the day doing "nothing", so I built a quick menu system today. It was pretty good in that I was able to spend time building something that I wouldn't need to immediately change as soon as I got a new idea. I basically remade the quick Cinema 4d scene I made last night using the same assets After lots of fiddling around with lighting and post effects I think it looks similar enough to be going on with.

Here's a gif:

https://gfycat.com/SnivelingPitifulIbisbill

With that out of the way, now I just need to make the game.  :P

I managed to get a few free hours to work on this today. I started work on some of the basic systems such as firing, damage and spawning pizzas. I think I'll talk more about what I plan to do next once I've had some sleep, but for now here's a gif:

InfantileZanyDogwoodtwigborer.gif

Oh man, I love how the game shudders, that's some sick friction bro.

Haha thanks! Interesting link, I had never heard of that term before. Usually I just see it referred to as "feel" or "juice" or "Vlambeer-ness"

One of my eternal bad habits is that I put such a high priority on that kind of stuff that I'll implement screenshake before important things like the scoring system. :P One of the things I'm gradually getting better at (and doing jams like this helps a lot) is getting my priorities right for things like this. Also, being okay with showing messy WIP stuff and not worrying so much about presentation in general.

However that said, the next thing that's going in is the ability for pizzas to explode into little slices and topping particles when they're destroyed. I guess old habits die hard :D.

Alright, so I haven't been working on this for a while; I got sidetracked by the other thing I'm now making for the jam. I finally got a good few hours to work on this tonight so I have some progress to show.

I've built in support for different weapons and ammo pickups, redone the HUD elements, and tweaked a few pizza physics parameters. 

https://gfycat.com/FrequentPiercingFantail

VariableInferiorAngelfish.gif

What's the font you're using? I like it.

Also this looks great! The really well done game feel touches and pretty UE4 effects make this game about shooting pizzas bizarrely professional looking.

What's the font you're using? I like it.

Also this looks great! The really well done game feel touches and pretty UE4 effects make this game about shooting pizzas bizarrely professional looking.

Thanks dude! This would be the best back of the box quote ever btw.

The font is called Headlined Solid.

I had a pretty productive day with this today.

Things done today:
- Added the majority of the sound effects
- Added music
- Wall decals
- Physics tuning (pretty happy with this for now so it'll likely stay this way)
- Converted pizza model to a destructible mesh, so now when they're destroyed they shatter into several slices.
- Pizza topping physics (this one was important!)
- Found the source of a mysterious slowdown issue (old pizzas weren't being destroyed properly, so the level was accumulating hundreds of pizzas and causing the game to slow down)
- Wrote in text for the "how to play" screen
- Added sweet new particle effects for the railgun.

I might be forgetting some of the more minor stuff, but never mind. It's been a good day for pizzas here.

Still left to do:
- Scoring system, including a combo system
- End of game screen
- probably a bunch of other little things

I keep forgetting to comment on this, but it looks great! All of UE4's glow and lens flare effects look completely absurd on pizzas falling from the top of the screen, and I love it. I also really like the idea of putting you other game inside it as an easter egg!

What happens if you spell "Half Life 3" in bulletholes?

You'll never find out unless you play it using a Steam Controller.

That oozes with style, hhhnnnnngggggg. Very Good.

This is rad --full stop--

Thanks for the kind words :D.

I'm hoping to have the rest of this done by the end of tomorrow; I'm going to be away from home Thu/Fri for work so I'll have even less time than usual to get stuff done. Pretty confident I can finish in time though.

I'm excited to check both of your games out. But my work machine is a Mac, so it will have to wait. Still, great work (from what I can tell through videos and all that)!

Unfortunately, cross platform packaging is not as smooth a process in UE as it is in Unity. It's one of the things I sort of took for granted in Unity and now I miss it!