Sign in to follow this  
ugly_cat

[Dev Log] In Space

Hello! New member but I've been listening for awhile (ever since they talked about Reciever).

Code:

Here's where I'll be hosting the project: https://github.com/pcvonz/In-Space

If you'd like to try it out you'll have to download the godot engine. Found here.

A brief aside on why I chose the godot engine:

Though Unity and UE4 are free to use, they are not entirely "free". The people who develop the godot engine have released it under the MIT license which means you can pretty much do whatever you want with it, including mucking with the source code. I've had my eye on on this project for awhile and I've finally decided that this is the perfect opportunity to make something with it. I like the studio and the devs are super nice. The community is growing steadily as well and they're all really nice! If anyone decides they'd like to try to make something in Godot hit me up! I'll try to help if I can.

9bLqI85.gif

DAY ONE:

It took the longest to figure out the main idea. It's going to be a mix between the ice puzzles in pokemon gold, volleyball, and space. I'll need to actually draw a character and stuff, but I'm waiting on doing assets until the mechanics are worked out. I'm very fickle and will probably want to go in a completely opposite direction by tomorrow.

I'm glad you are including in-project progress .gifs. I've never heard of the Godot engine, I look forward to seeing how it influences your resulting game.

UPDATE 2:

ql1OiqL.gif

Not a very major update. What I've done is added walls to the game, refined the collision box, and added a bit of code that makes the sword point at the mouse. I started thinking more about over all design, here are a few process sketches:

z7LxdUk.jpg?1LEpwZA5.jpg?1

I've refined the mechanics to be a mixture of breakout and pong. The point is to keep the alien from hitting the glass wall on the left. If the does hit the wall it will break and fling the astronaut into the void of space. Simple. It is my first game.

I've been interested in Godot in the past but didn't spend a good deal of time trying to learn it. Would love to see a post talking about how easy or powerful it is when you're done with the game!

Update 3:

nvLpdQk.gif

Spent most of my time today working on the arm. I found that the most intuitive way to achieve the effect of the arm movement was to make the arm and sword behave as "rigid bodies" with a joint between the body and arm; arm and sword; and the sword and mouse cursor. That green circle tracks the object the sword is attached to. The sword can move anywhere within a 145 pixel radius from where the arm meets the body. This probably isn't the best solution, but I couldn't think of another way to do it! Highschool trig coming in handy once again.

The assets I'm currently using were mocked up in like 10 minutes, but I like how the arm looks with the body. Suprisingly good! I want to add a walk animation but have no idea how hard it is to make one. I'll look into it tomorrow. I need to spend a day just making the artwork.

The current iteration of the arm movement feels nothing like I envisioned, so the actual mechanics will probably change a lot by the end of this.

Update 4:

0nYE5UO.gif

I've refined the arm movement but now there is a problem with the arm when the character moves. I took a look at this tutorial today in the godot wiki: Cut out animation. I wish I'd read it earlier because I believe arm movement would have been significantly easier if I had a rigged character.

I made a texture for the background began painting the spaceman. School is getting in the way of serious work though. I'm going to try to make a final sprint Wednesday through Thursday. There is almost a game here..

Sign in to follow this