Sign in to follow this  
z_bill

[Release] Pause Screen From BattleToads

If it had crashed on me, I probably would have just assumed it was part of the game! I didn't trust that the game was over when it told me to press escape to quit.

Long time Thumbs listener, Forum newbie here.

I played the Mon 27 April 2015 release and it worked all the way to what I can only assume is the final screen. That was an amazing and hilarious 5-10 minutes of my life, z_bill. Thank you for making this exist!

This was really cool, and the difficulty/frustration level was pitched just right.

Ok, I want to see more of this game. Someone tell me what you're supposed to do after you get the "Don't be afraid" message.

Thanks for all the compliments, everyone! Already brainstorming a new game!

I think both of you stuck guys are...

Not noticing a change up in the score area. Really, most the puzzles are solved by clicking stuff.

What.

What is.

Huh?

I've never played Battletoads, so I can only assume I'm missing a ton of references here. That said, made it to the end, enjoyed finding the next clickable section!

--Rev

Thanks! Most the stuff that seems like references is probably just weird stuff put in by me, haha. The beginning is just the start of level 2 of Battletoads as best as I could emulate it. Though it might be helpful to understand exactly what Battletoads pause screen did: it just froze, no text or anything, sometimes the sprites would have chunks missing, and that loud inexplicable beat would play nonstop. It's quite a memorable thing.

That explains a lot. I think by the time Battletoads made its way to the Amiga, the allure had somewhat worn off and the questionable port was met with more bemusement than any desire to engage. That pause screen really does sound like it'd stick in your memory, though...! Thanks for making the game, man - had fun, and now it rates as educational! =D

--Rev

Congrats on the Kill Screen writeup, folks!

Your weirdness pleases Chris Priestman.

Wow! Missed this until now! That's incredible!

Everything about making this game has been super amazing. Thanks to everyone!

Sign in to follow this