Sign in to follow this  
WilloughbyJackson

[Released] The Spectacle was Incredible

Hey everybody ~!

Long time reader, first time poster...(not really).

To do a brief introduction, I have been a Flash programmer for about 9 years now, (worked on games (mostly advertgames) for about 7 years).  Recently, I have started to learn Unity 3D and would love to actually produce something fun but didn't have much of a focus. So, I've decided to take part in this here Wizard Jam to give me a focus and a deadline.

I used the random title picker...and got The Spectacle was Incredible.

I'll be the first to admit:  I have NO IDEA what kind of game goes with that title.  :mellow:

Anyhow, I'll be brainstorming tonight and hopefully will have something by tomorrow...

Although I would absolutely love to team up with someone, my current schedule is SUPER erratic, and I have no idea of my availability...

(Yep..perfect time for a game jam.   :lol: )

I used the random title picker...and got The Spectacle was Incredible.

I'll be the first to admit:  I have NO IDEA what kind of game goes with that title.  :mellow:

The first thing that came to mind to me is that 'spectacle' can refer to both a spectacular event and glasses. So...something based around They Live style spectacles, that make things you look at a spectacle? That might be difficult. I donno.

(also you don't have to use the first random one you get, if you don't want!)

Man! I didn't even think about glasses. >_<

Thanks for the suggestions ~!

The first thing that came to mind to me is that 'spectacle' can refer to both a spectacular event and glasses. So...something based around They Live style spectacles, that make things you look at a spectacle? That might be difficult. I donno.

(also you don't have to use the first random one you get, if you don't want!)

Naw...I think I'll keep this one.  It will make it more challenging...

While I continue to brainstorm some ideas...I found one of my old 48-hour contest Flash games. (Which was taken from my website and posted EVERYWHERE...thanks Flash Portal Business model... -_- )

The theme was "Package"...

http://kilogames.com/games/1384/mary-jean-human-package-rescuer-girl.html

Enjoy..mayhaps...

I got a concept in my head which is a cross between missile command and tower defense.

Aliens are attempting to take over the earth, and you have to defeat them while putting on a show with lots of fireworks...(Because people can't learn about aliens existence..y'know...THERE WOULD BE A PANIC!)

However, my progress tonight has been pretty bad because:

1. I'm still learning Unity, and get stuck a lot
  2. I decided to make it a 3D game, which I never ever had to dealt with before now.

And then, when attempting to get a coroutine working, I accidentally created an infinite loop, and the Unity Editor was hardcore frozen.  After reopening the Unity Editor, I realized that I forgot to save the scene, so all my Script were up to date, but I lost all my prefabs, empty game code objects, etc...

Calling it a night... >_< 

alien1.jpg

The alien ship over the city...should have been at least moving by now.. T_T

Well, I'll post something Friday night... No matter what...

I wish I had more time to jam but.. life happens. (And Unity goes crazy and adding Canvas elements caused everything to break...finally figured out how to fix that...)

Plot: Aliens are coming but you can't let the general population know...How do you solve such a problem? WITH A GIANT PARTY!!  Make sure the special fireworks cause the ufos to blow up in the sky and let the party keep on going~!

alien2.jpg

You know what's fun? Having that little crowd there cheer you on. It feels good man

Thanks.  Justine (my daughter) will be happy. (She drew the initial candy people, and colored all of them herself...)

This was awesome! I really love the concept of just keeping the party going.

Oh man, I already commented about the art on the page but it's even better knowing that it's a mix of you and your daughter's work. Hope you two keep up the dev work.

This was super fun, you definitely picked one of my favourite arcade games to be inspired from, and yeah, you hit upon a very game jam aesthetic in the best of ways.

This is web player only, right? Sadly I can't play it in Chrome (and don't really want to clog up my gaming PC with other browsers). Is it easy in Unity to create a download? And if so, would you consider doing so? If not, I'll try to get my laptop to play it!

You can enable NPAPI to still play and it'll fix a bunch of other stuff too (for a while)

Just paste this into Chrome and then click the enable NPAPI button:

chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

(that said, yeah it's worth making a web build cause people be lazy)

Hilarious idea, awesome execution - especially given it's your first Unity game. Man. Depressing. =) The emphasis on feedback is awesome and, frankly, I think a lot of games could do with a studio audience like this one. Compliments to your daughter on the art!

--Rev

I like the audio of this game. The distant pops are neat. If the crowd didn't reward my shots, I wouldn't be half as interested. I was constantly peeking at the variatated crowd every time they rose. Missles don't seem to hit when the ufos are on the lower half of their path. It took me a while to figure that out because there's no audio-cue or sprite change that informs me that missles are going to pass through. The only way I can see to destroy them on the lower path is to cause chain-reactions. I used to play Every Extend Extra Extreme a lot. I like chain-reactions.

I love that I can always see one of the little dudes' hair. I get a kick out of seeing the boom-mic in television shows. 

Sign in to follow this