Sign in to follow this  
atte

[Release] Introduction To Video Games

Is there any way you could supply a Mac build of this?

I second that request! That's the only regret I have about this wizard jam, is it reminds me that as a Mac-only gamer, a lot of cool indie stuff is not playable.

Unfortunately I can't make a Mac build with the free version of GM that I have. At some point in the future though I will certainly upgrade as I really enjoy using GameMaker (pro + mac export seems to cost $150).

I really like how you used the Zelda 2 soundtrack for The Wizard, though in retrospect it may have just been playing in my head and not through my speakers. Still! :tup:

Man, those ghosts are terrifying!

I couldn't figure out how to use the pointy shoes, though. They don't seem to get me any extra height or anything...

Hmm, okay, maybe I need to get into that cave in time to bounce off one of the enemies to get to that sweet red sword...

I love all of the little details in these games; even the games that were less fleshed-out had something in them that made me laugh. I agree that The Wizard and Dot Gobbler probably show the most promise, but I have a soft spot for XCOM Obama.

On the subject of Dot Gobbler, I don't know how many games from that tile-based first-person RPG lineage you've played, but it's worth looking at

(Or
or
), and how those games deal with representing walls. There are a number of combinations of wall positions in your game that look the same, which makes it difficult to map things out in your head and meant that I had to keep switching to the map. Definitely looking forward to seeing what you go on to do with it, though. And the music you posted is really good!

That was a lot of content. Man. I think my favourite was Dot Gobbler, as I've a lotta nostalgia for Eye of the Beholder II, but... man. They're all good. I didn't really understand what was going on with The Holo Violator, but the art made me yearn for a socket in my forehead and a guitar jack to plug into it. Also dug The Wizard - the appearance of REDACTED scared the heck out of me. Also, also: so nice to see an unironic Thanks Obama. =) Would love to see more!

--Rev

Love the Dot Gobbler track. Excited that this could be the start of something great and we all got to experience the genesis!

Right after the jam ended I got sick for two weeks (pretty mild but resilient flu) so that was a natural forced break from this. I've been doing now some audio stuff and thinking about the gameplay changes I want to make but when there is no actual deadline anymore, progress is veery slow.

But I really appreciate all the positive feedback and want to see this weird thing in a more finished state so I will try to work on it more regularly.

Had a ball playing these tonight. Absolutely brilliant. 

Sign in to follow this