Sign in to follow this  
atte

[Release] Introduction To Video Games

Man this is game is brilliantly scoped for a game jam.  You've got the perfect control over finishing the game without risking the project due to creep.  Also, execution is on point, well done man.

Worked on the Violator some more. I have to keep reminding myself that these are supposed to be very short experiences so that I will be able to make a complete thing out of every one of these.

post-26597-0-23342400-1429369207_thumb.gif

Thanks for all the kind words! They keep me motivated during the difficult times like today when I tried to draw a pixel art portrait of Joe Biden...

Dot Gobbler now has all the gameplay stuff I had planned. On the code side it is such a hilarious mess duct taped together but I'm happy it kind of works (and that it doesn't need to be a bigger/more complex thing).

post-26597-0-91023800-1429488669_thumb.gif

Well, that's settled, atte needs to develop every single video game for the rest of time.

I'm so excited to see how this thing plays out. Are you planning on having any kind of meta-game or story that links the various games, or will you just present the menu as a splash screen a la illicit rom packs (hopefully with copyright-dodging BGM)?

Holy shit this is SO good! And you have four more days to produce more amazing stuff! Crazy! :tup: :tup: :tup:

Here's good old Obama. Nineties Cockpit Freakout is in pretty good shape also and tommorrow I'm going to jump into the exciting and scary world of the Wizard again.

post-26597-0-61061400-1429752810_thumb.gif

I think the days are still somewhere around 24h here, but infinite freetime (aka unemployment) helps alot. The more traditional games (Cockpit Freakout, XCOM Obama, The Wizard) are eating the hours though in an alarmingly fast pace, but with the extended deadline I'm sure I'll get everything into a somewhat finished state.

http://atteo.itch.io/introduction-to-video-games I feel throughoutly introduced. I hope there is no(t many) game crashing things hiding in it as the final checking and testing was done pretty hastily. Also there is no sound... I blame the Wizard for seducing me to work on it for days. But I'll definitely keep working on this post jam, adding the audio and doing some actual level design (...as most of the levels are still pretty random placeholderish stuff). I did have fun and also learned alot.

post-26597-0-37643000-1430108930_thumb.jpg post-26597-0-52543000-1430108938_thumb.jpg post-26597-0-45144300-1430108949_thumb.jpg post-26597-0-17403300-1430108964_thumb.jpg post-26597-0-04383900-1430108977_thumb.jpg post-26597-0-48578200-1430108987_thumb.jpg

I just played through this and it is thoroughly impressive how inventive this is, even within games. The 90's cockpit Freakout control scheme is amazing.

Played a bit and: Absolutely incredible!

...And all done in GameMaker I see. That's really cool and reinforces that's it's the game engine for me!

Will play more tomorrow.

I loved this. I'll be eagerly awaiting a more polished version, so I hope you won't put it off! I beat all the games (and felt particular proud of figuring out The Wizard, though you communicated the mechanic well) except Nineties Cockpit Freakout... I'm not convinced that game has an ending, but I did manage to fly off the screen edge and make everything break. Brilliant aesthetic/controls/everything in that one. Dot Gobbler might be my favourite though, I felt genuinely tense playing that at times.

P.S. Do you have a Twitter account?

I gotta say, Dot Gobbler is the winner so far for me. For the whole jam. I just love the gloopy alt take on Pac Man, like a different reality where everyone lives underground and things are half-melted! I love the animations and just the whole feel of it. I think it totally deserves to be spanned into something bigger! Like a half-brawler half-cartographic dungeon crawl with strange alterations on all the Pac Man tropes.

Really liked The Wizard too. I didn't realize it was beatable until someone above said so. I had found Breckon and all the weapons...but going back the solution was right there. Lots of fun! 

Thanks everybody! I'm very excited that people are playing my weird interactive-comedy-game-parody-homage-experiments. After making a new version of this collection (add audio, redesign some levels, minor visual fixes) I'm going to think about expanding maybe Gobbler and The Wizard as standalone things.

Deciding to make Dot Gobbler into this primitive dungeon crawler was a huge stab in the dark for me because I'm not an experienced programmer at all and had never made anything like it. I managed to brute force it together and I like it alot too, but also the idea of expanding it kind of scares me. The Wizard's mini epic quest is one of my personal favorite things in the collection.

I was quite annoyed with myself when I realized I wasn't going to have time for the audio. If I had downscaled couple of the bigger games or had fewer games to begin with I would have been able to make a more complete experience. But then again I had great time making all of the games, and my main focus and interest was on visual comedy and details from the beginning.

My twitter is @AtteOkkonen though I use it just for following people, but someday If I have something really interesting stuff to share I might start using it more.

+ProTip: Alt + Enter for fullscreen

I *think* you have some really interesting stuff to share RIGHT NOW, atte! :tup: :tup:

Is there any way you could supply a Mac build of this?

Sign in to follow this