Sign in to follow this  
atte

[Release] Introduction To Video Games

I'm making a 6 game compilation and trying to stay roughly in NES limitations (I'm somehow still not bored with NES fetishization). The games are based on:

Episode 5: The Wizard
Episode 55: His Cyborg Familiar
Episode 67: Dot Gobbler
Episode 84: Nineties Cockpit Freakout
Episode 105: XCOM Obama
Episode 156: The Holo-Violator

I'm using GameMaker, Photoshop and Reason. This is a pretty ambitious idea, but I think it suits jamming also quite well because those actual X in 1 game cartridges had pretty weird and rough stuff in them. I have gameplay ideas for all of these titles but I'll write about them when I have something to show. The biggest question is can I survive this without making another Zelda II

screen parody... Here's the first versions of the title screens.

post-26597-0-09255100-1428694136_thumb.png

Dot Gobbler and XCOM Obama are quite obviously modified from existing pictures, and I'll probably change and simplify them some more.

I can't wait to see how these turn out! The art for Dot Gobbler looks like the most amazing copyright-dodging Pac-Man knockoff, and the prospect of seeing Obama in some sort of power armor is too exciting.

For me this game jam is a success just for that HOLO-VIOLATOR logo.

Thanks, it means a lot hearing that from the inventor of the Holo-Violator himself.

I can't wait to see how these turn out! The art for Dot Gobbler looks like the most amazing copyright-dodging Pac-Man knockoff

Yes because it actually is , for my version though I'll try to make some truly oppressive survival horror that reflects the deep dread of that cover.

Here is a Holo-Violator gif, it has some color flickering but nothing too crazy.

post-26597-0-63321000-1428764773_thumb.gif

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to explain what's going on in that gif. Well the story here is that in the dark cyberpunk future The Holo-Violator is a turbo malevolent adware that tries to sneak in to consumers HoloLenses by travelling amidst real quality content. Your goal as the player is to find the Violator before it is too late.

Edited by atte

I really enjoy how you've given a depiction of the protagonist's circumstances and survival-status so much space and separated the playable area from it. I love that connection between the two frames. That was one of the cooler things about DOOM for me, having the little guy's head depict your status. But the more separation between physical space, the more intriqued I am. Pamela's Adventures in DreamLand is probably my favorite use of the device. Eventually I should make a game where everytime you die, it flips the ligh-switch of someone's home in Germany (I'm in the United States) and they have your phone-number.

I love that connection between the two frames. That was one of the cooler things about DOOM for me, having the little guy's head depict your status.

Because of this reminder, the development of Dot Gobbler took an unexpected turn...

post-26597-0-08812000-1428883224_thumb.gifpost-26597-0-01014100-1428883204_thumb.png

I think I'm going to make a rough version of all of the six ideas first, and after that start fleshing them out depending on how much time and energy I have left. So today I started the XCOM Obama and in this gif, the main stupid joke (which is why I wanted to make this) is revealed. The platforming code is from Shaun Spaldings tutorials , I have tinkered with GML for a couple of years but this is still way beyond my skills.

post-26597-0-55422100-1428958044_thumb.gif

Because of this reminder, the development of Dot Gobbler took an unexpected turn...

attachicon.gifdg4.gif

Oh man, this is giving me Xybots flashbacks.

Oh man, this is giving me Xybots flashbacks.

Looks cool, had not seen that one before, (and apparently there was a pretty wild looking unreleased

of it?! ). 3D mazes that I knew from the 8bit era were from
and

Here's what I have for His Cyborg Familiar now. It will be about you as a cyborg protecting a hacker.

post-26597-0-92634800-1429053215_thumb.jpgpost-26597-0-95130900-1429053252_thumb.gif

It is the nineties and there is time for Klax shmups.

post-26597-0-18220400-1429142515_thumb.jpg

Today's dev highlight was when a ceiling and ghosts from Dot Gobbler and Bargo Busters text from the Holo-Violator suddenly appeared in an early Nineties Cockpit Freakout test and I could not understand how it was happening.

post-26597-0-77443500-1429142719_thumb.jpg

Today's dev highlight was when a ceiling and ghosts from Dot Gobbler and Bargo Busters text from the Holo-Violator suddenly appeared in an early Nineties Cockpit Freakout test and I could not understand how it was happening.

This is THE BEST.

Everything you're working on looks fantastic!

THUMBS CHECK FAIL

Don't fix it.

The Wizaaaaaa-a-a-aaard...

post-26597-0-81569000-1429228779_thumb.gif

First I was going to make something in the style of the first Zelda, but I realized Zelda II-like would be a more interesting challenge (and I have unlimited amount of nostalgia for that game). Now I have at least the very basics done in every game, and have a clear(er) idea of what the final experiences should be like.

Sign in to follow this