clyde

[Released] (I know you are having fun but) I'm still working Ep:121

It took me a while to get into this, maybe just because I empathised with the agonizing premise. 

Are you trying to say that you felt for Tiffany? I struggled with this a lot. I really emphasized so much with Tiffany that it drove me crazy that she never got a chance to defend herself, which left the game coming off as siding with the group and their "I do what I want" attitude. The thing I was most afraid of was that Tiffany was just a tool to get to a speech that the writer wanted to make at the end, and even though that was not supposed to be how it was, it was how it came off. Clyde took this into consideration and tried to give Tiffany more voice in her feelings, and also to emphasize the other characters personalities enough that it would be more clear that the opinions would be coming from them instead of from an author who funneled you into a hole of hearing what they want to tell you. However, after Clyde and I went over it multiple times I kind of agreed with both sides at the end. It is true that they need noise to work, and their needs are just as valuable as Tiffanys, only theirs are not recognized, because it is the standard to work in silence. As I talked about in a previous post, this happened to me, but I never told them to be quiet, because i knew they had just as much right to talk to each other as I did for wanting it to be quiet. I really wanted us to represent the idea both sides have value and should be taken into consideration, but it is hard not to pick sides.

I think Tiffany not being able to properly defend herself (until the end, kinda*) just added to the surreal nightmare of it all. I felt the same kind of anxiety playing this as I do watching a movie like After Hours**, where the world seems totally dead set on crushing the protagonist into a paste (psychically speaking), but does so while walking a fine line where you can buy that the people really think they are fun and in the right.

But they totally aren't. I don't think their needs are as valid as Tiffany's. For one they seem like a totally bullshit think tank. Also they're the ones that chose to work in an office building with neighbors. If you worked from home as a freelance journalist and your upstairs neighbor works at home by playing a drum-kit at all hours of the day, your needs to work at home aren't equally valid. He should find a rehearsal space or studio, an appropriate venue for what he does. So should the think tank, if it's really that important to the process that they feed a peacock lifesavers and use the noisiest printer on the planet and throw parties.

*Obviously Clyde was limited by his abilities as a person who (I assume) is not a professional (or even amateur) rapper but that final moment would be amazing if it turned out Tiffany was an amazing rapper and totally wrecked them, but I tried to rap along her lyrics and Tiffany is a terrible rapper. Which is very charming in it's own way, I really really liked the ending, but I had my fingers crossed that the lyrics she spit would be actually good.

EDIT: I don't think I said it but I really liked this game.

Played this with my girlfriend, we were both super charmed by it. I really like the "Miss Blemmings" vocal sample.

Fun game - had to laugh as things grew increasingly farcical. Poor Ms. Blemmings. Earbuds and maybe even some nice classical music could have saved her so much trouble.

--Rev

Since I uploaded some of the earlier versions of the game for team-members and testing, I figure I can put a link here for the curious. 

Note: It's probably not worth your time to look at this earlier versions of this game. I just like showing work.

2015-4-18