Dinosaursssssss

[Released] ROBOT NEWS by me, Dinosaursssssss

Ah, yeah, I can almost get them all in one pass that way. I wasn't even trying to get all 3 at once when I was playing around before. There's a sorta satisfying rhythm to trying to do all 3 rows, maybe I'll focus in on that.

If you have any suggestions on how I can make that more fun let me know! 

Looks great! I particularly love the look of the pipes. I'll have to grab it and have a play.

Unemployed and without children?! Get OUT! :(

Awesome progress, BTW! I can't wait to try out this robot apocalypse simulator!

I'm starting to feel like I'm cheating a little bit by being unemployed

Same here, but since there is no competitive aspect to this I thought, why not, let's see how many silly game things I can make in two weeks.

Just call this A Grave Ghost or Return of Dishonored Nick Breckon and its also a WizardJam game.

I played your build from Thursday, and I cracked up a bit when I reached day 3 and suddenly everything had physics! Good work.

There's a bunch of gifs and a link to my Ludum Dare game I finished this afternoon here : http://imgur.com/a/ykmcZ

I was kind of disappointed by how it turned out (the gifs are fun, the game wasn't really) so I rigged this BigDog afterward.

yQk9qRC.gif

I need to re-texture it since I combined the meshes, and some of the weights are a little off, but that was my goal for the jam and I feel good that I got it done :)

I'm having some issues UVing this guy now...previously the guts were separate meshes, so I could texture them individually, but today I've been trying to UV the rigged model and having a buncha problems. I'm using multiple textures in one material, and I finally got to the point where it shows up how I'd like it to in the render view of Blender, but when I import the fbx into Unity it seems to only be bringing in the body texture. 

I could redo the UV so they're all on one sheet, which won't be a big deal 'cause they're all single colors anyway, but I've been banging my head on this for a while so I really want to make it work.

y5E6bhP.png

edit : this sux

I ended up redoing the UVs to be one texture and imported that mostly OK into Unity. Not perfect (some edges get lit really weirdly inside the big dog? not sure what's going on there) but it works and I'm happy with the result.

I thought I'd have more time this weekend, but it seems like I'm actually gonna be busy today and tomorrow, so I submitted!

http://dinosaursssssss.itch.io/robot-news

The full source of the project is also on that page in a .zip if anyone's curious about my incredibly fragile day/night cycle code or wants to steal my models to make some hi def big dog renders.

I feel like I missed a lot here (what do the on/off things do, what's supposed to happen once I've got all the mats and run out of money? I didn't realise until coming back and looking at gifs that the bigdog could go up the side - maybe that opens new stuff up), but I enjoyed smashing things!

I think you saw it all then?

In the earlier versions, the BigDog looped all the way around, but I made it only patrol the front street 'cause it was hard to aim from the back side.

The three upgrades all modify your newspapers; the upgrades are (in order) : bigger/heavier newspapers, exploding newspapers, and multi-shot.

You can turn them on and off at night or upgrade them. The first two sort of counteract each other, since if you have the explosions (NEWSFLASH!) on, the size/weight of the papers don't really matter.

In retrospect, the back half is too confusing. There isn't really an end, mostly 'cause I didn't decide on an end state. Clydes interpretation (on Twitter) was that the BigDog is continuing its programming forever and delivering papers to the ruins of humanity. I quite like that, but from a usability standpoint its definitely sort of weird and confusing. There needed to be some mechanics to reinforce that idea though, I think.

Also now that people have seen day 3, heres a good .gif of a bug from when I first did the upgrade system. Kinda wanted the post-day-3 stuff to be a surprise so I kept this one in the vault. 

j9SHTO1.gif

I accidentally reversed the vector of the explosion force and this is what happened.

Also now that people have seen day 3, heres a good .gif of a bug from when I first did the upgrade system. Kinda wanted the post-day-3 stuff to be a surprise so I kept this one in the vault. 

I accidentally reversed the vector of the explosion force and this is what happened.

Haha that's excellent. Those kind of bugs are the greatest.

I was thinking about some kind of sandbox mode where you just get all the powers + some other weird ones for free. I think a sandbox city game where you just wreck shit and see how the simulation handles it might be fun; it's something I thought about while I was working, but building out AI for the city-folk seemed way out of scope for this.

This is brill. Genuine giggles when I heard the Big Dog drone - a fantastic touch. I love the day/night cycle - it's a sadly mostly-neglected feature in Unity games, given how easy it is to set up. Love how clean and appealing your world is, but the star has to be Big Dog - the rigging, the animation, just perfect. I'm sure our robot masters will appreciate this one, once they've rid the earth of the carbon-based scum that infests it.

Would love to see further versions of the game - there's a lot of potential for a larger game here, infused with graveyard humour...

--Rev

PS: Also, second vote for Singularity Newspaper here.