Dinosaursssssss

Welcome to WIZARD JAM

Saw the Wizard Jam on itch and spent a few days poking around the forums before deciding to create an account. Pretty cool place. I added my game (The Perimeter) to the jam. If anyone has any questions about Unity, Mechanim or the RAIN AI framework, I might be able to help. 

Saw the Wizard Jam on itch and spent a few days poking around the forums before deciding to create an account. Pretty cool place. I added my game (The Perimeter) to the jam. If anyone has any questions about Unity, Mechanim or the RAIN AI framework, I might be able to help. 

Hey Greymuse,

I'm happy to see you're interested in helping out other jam wizards here, but I'm a little concerned your game doesn't belong with the jam. Its hard to determine if it was created within the jam period (April 10-23 2015) and more on point though, I can't really see how it corresponds with the theme. It was a major intention of the Wizard Jam to be inclusive of all participants, be they established community members or not, so I hope you can appreciate my concerns are not coming from a place of internet forum xenophobia, but just wanting to see the best results possible i.e. a jam page full of Idle Thumbs inspired games. As such I would ask you to consider whether your game really fits the theme, and volunteer to remove it if it does not. Thanks.

Hey Greymuse,

I'm happy to see you're interested in helping out other jam wizards here, but I'm a little concerned your game doesn't belong with the jam. Its hard to determine if it was created within the jam period (April 10-23 2015) and more on point though, I can't really see how it corresponds with the theme. It was a major intention of the Wizard Jam to be inclusive of all participants, be they established community members or not, so I hope you can appreciate my concerns are not coming from a place of internet forum xenophobia, but just wanting to see the best results possible i.e. a jam page full of Idle Thumbs inspired games. As such I would ask you to consider whether your game really fits the theme, and volunteer to remove it if it does not. Thanks.

I understand your concern, and I would usually agree with your reservations. I have only added my game to the jam because the theme is optional, and the rules specifically state that "there are no rules". I was under the assumption the aim of this jam was to get a varied selection of games submitted, as well as to meet new people. 

I don't want to make waves. If my game doesn't quite make the cut for the Wizard Jam, I can definitely remove it. 

I guess I'm looking at enforcing the unwritten rule of a game jam submission page, which is, games submitted to that page should be made during and for that game jam. Looks like you removed it yourself, so thanks for being a reasonable person and welcome to the community.

Also, consider checking out the Plug Your Shit thread, or Post Your Game For Feedback and Playtesting.

Is anyone else having dreams about their game? Last night I was dreaming that I had to decide how real people would be allocated to rooms on an estate by arranging them in a TyranoBuilder interface. They had opinions and general skepticism about the rooms I would put them in. It was like a worker placement game with real people where they were ery concerned about the possibility of being put in a room with someone who they did not get along with. And I was doing all this by dragging bars up and down a vertical-scroll event-graph.

Yes actually, I did, last night. My game contained a three dimensional pac man minigame sequence that I was getting frustrated that I had to beat every time I was testing the game. Then I had the brilliant idea that the final sequence of the game would be you going around a gallery while being watched and followed by the showcasing artist, who was also a metaphor for the game creator or something? Dreams are weird.

I was halfheartedly working on a "Pegasus Launch"-themed game, but alas, I don't think I will find time to finish it. Best of luck to all u participants in these final days of jam!

Danielle mentioned in the original thread that she was interested in doing exactly that.

I really wish I had the time to do something, but it's the worst possible time for me.

After we finish ours (we are still on schedule) I'm planning on coming back in to see if anyone needs help with entries that need another week or two to complete. I don't see any reason to stop after two-weeks.

After we finish ours (we are still on schedule) I'm planning on coming back in to see if anyone needs help with entries that need another week or two to complete. I don't see any reason to stop after two-weeks.

the party never stops in the game dev subforum

the party never stops in the game dev subforum

That's what I'm sayin.

I wonder if this jam will jumpstart dev-logs there.

Edit:

Actually, I don't really understand what the motivation was to have a separate WizardJam subforum rather than just putting it in the Game Development subforum. If someone doesn't finish their game by Sunday are they expected to stop updating their dev-log here? Or is the deadline an Itch.io thing?

Damn, I wish I would have followed this Jam's thread in Idle Banter before it really started, then I would have been able to perhaps prepare some time to take part of this. I definitely wanna join next time, do some game development again, haven't done anything in 3 or more years.

I think a yearly jam would be a great. I love the spirit of this jam, it is very encouraging and it was nice to see a lot of people with limited time participating.  Themes can sometimes be difficult to get a handle on, but I found it much easier with the episode titles, I often find myself listening to the podcast and wanting to make a variant of the hilarious weird game thing the crew is riffing about.

It feels like the game ideas are just sitting there in the episodes waiting (some times literally begging) to get realised. :)

The episode title theme really is a slamdunk, considering we'll have 52 brand new ones next time around.

(I envision one jake rodkin inconspicuously attempting to seed the names of games he wants in the next wizard jam into future episodes)

Is anyone else having dreams about their game?

I've never coded anything this hardcore before, and I can't seem to wake up the past week without thinking my alarm clock is somehow tied into the alarm variables/ steps in my game. It's super stressful l!

I've never coded anything this hardcore before, and I can't seem to wake up the past week without thinking my alarm clock is somehow tied into the alarm variables/ steps in my game. It's super stressful l!

It's so weird and fascinating that repeatitious tasks get tied to subjects that have been stressful or interesting in my day. Programming seems to be my metaphorical action for the way I make all my decisions while dreaming in the midst of a game-jam.

Itch isn't handling the "share on twitter" or "persistent url" stuff for Idle Dreams (From the episode "field of dreams"), so for now, you can access it here: http://gritfish.net/wizard/

If I get some more time tomorrow, I might try and fix up the punctuation, but it generates some pretty good dreams.

I have spent so much time in the past week or so looking at pictures of hair, that I've developed a weird reaction to looking at photographs now. When I look at a portrait photo I find myself instantly looking at the hair style and making a snap judgement on whether or not "I like the hair". I fear this jam has ruined me.