SecretAsianMan

Killing Floor 2

Killing Floor 2 is coming to Steam Early Access on April 21.  At that time it will come with

•3 non-linear levels
•4 perk classes
•27 weapons
•11 Zeds
•7 playable characters, including a female character
•1 boss character (not the Patriarch)
•Mod SDK supporting custom level creation

I'm not really into horror games, but I love cooperative stuff.  One thing I loved about the first Killing Floor was that each class was very distinct and a large emphasis was placed on teamwork.  KF2 looks to be more refined with less grinding.  And as dumb as it is to say this, the gun animations really look amazing.  The game has a bullet time mechanic called Zed Time that will sometimes activate when you get a headshot.  In order to make the weapons look really good, they animated them at somewhere around 200 fps.  When the slow-mo kicks in, you can actually see things like the barrel shake and individual parts move.  It's a neat detail.

Anyone else interested in the game?

I actually got hooked up with beta access via a friend and played a couple hours last night, and had a great time. The new gore system looks fantastic in slow motion and it seems like blood splatters persist forever in levels so after a couple waves the map is just bathed in blood. It seems like the biggest changes in 2 are the graphics (which are vastly improved) and in how character progression works, which I haven't really dived (dove? doven?) into yet since I don't have that much XP yet. KF1 was a go-to LAN game for my friends and I for many years, so I'm really looking forward to the wider early access release so I can play with folks I know.

I really liked the first Killing Floor, I didn't realise this was coming to early access. I'll definitely try it out once I have the time.

I have a friend who's really into KF1, so I've played quite a lot of it. I'll be grabbing it if he does, but I'm pretty wary of early access games these days.

I played for a couple hours today.  It's mostly still the same game, which shouldn't come as a surprise.  The graphics are vastly improved of course.  You can tell they spent a lot of time on the weapons.  There are a lot of animations for them, including ones that play if you try to reload with full ammo.  The enemies are easier to distinguish and the boss is tough even on normal, although everyone's at a really low level right now.  The leveling system seems to have been streamlined a bit, but I didn't get high enough to unlock anything yet.  I mostly played as the medic class, which I feel has gotten significant improvement.  The weapon will make a sound when you aim it at someone who needs healing and the healing darts seem to have a degree of homing because I was hitting my teammates by aiming in their general direction.

I played for a couple hours today.  It's mostly still the same game, which shouldn't come as a surprise.  The graphics are vastly improved of course.

Pretty much what I was hoping for, I guess I'll be buying it then :D

I had a lot of fun playing last night, servers were a little shaky but after a couple crashes everything seemed smooth. On the steam page they describe the game as "a "'polished beta' and is ready for you to play, just with a reduced set of content." I think that's pretty true; I haven't noticed any bugs, and balance seems about right already (though I've been finding I have my weapons maxed out a little early). At this stage I think it has total feature parity with the first game, the only thing that feels like it's missing is more classes/weapons.

I was thinking about this while I was playing last night, and dang their weapons feel good. Some of the best feeling guns in any FPS. There's a just brutal physicality to all of them, which I'm guessing comes from their having spent so much time modelling bullet physics for Red Orchestra. Everything knocks enemies around, there's a really satisfying *thwock* when you get a headshot, and the slow motion animations are just top notch. There's few things more satisfying than slow motion kicking in right as you end a reload animation and vaporize an enemy at point blank with a shotgun.

I'm worried about the possible experience resets coming down the pipe. I'm one of the poor suckers who tried to level up the regular way in KF1 instead of cheating, and I would have thrown a fit if they'd reset things.

There's few things more satisfying than slow motion kicking in right as you end a reload animation and vaporize an enemy at point blank with a shotgun.

I'm always caught right at the start of a reload cycle when the slow mo kicks in.  I probably need to get over my habit of constantly reloading.  Although I really like the fact that they acknowledge this by having animations when you try to reload a full clip.

I'm worried about the possible experience resets coming down the pipe. I'm one of the poor suckers who tried to level up the regular way in KF1 instead of cheating, and I would have thrown a fit if they'd reset things.

I worry about that too.  I did cheese the leveling in KF1 by using a custom map, but that's only because I got the game really late and played very infrequently.  Right now there are only 4 perks (medic, commando, support, and berserker) but I think there are eventually going to be 10.  They have some of the other perk weapons available to use (such as a flamethrower) even though no one directly benefits from it yet.  They've revamped the leveling system as well.  In addition to the perk specific bonuses the old system had, every 5 levels also allows you to pick an additional bonus skill for your class.  Each tier seems to have 2 different bonuses that can be applied.  I haven't reached any yet, but I'm assuming you can only have one active at a time per tier.

For the most part, it's like Dinosaurs said.  I don't think they're planning to add a lot of completely new features at this point.  I think the goal is to add in the classes, weapons, and maps as they're completed while squashing bugs along the way.  The game feels mostly done, just lacking content and some polish.

Oh, also there's this.  I saw it being discussed on the game's Steam community page, but I forgot about it until just now.  Part of the EULA allows Tripwire Interactive to ban you and revoke your license for being a cheater, griefer, troll, racist, sexist, etc.  They've said it would only be used in extreme cases when the community was unable to handle things on their own.  Also they'll tell your mom.

I've been meaning to post about this game again for a while but I kept forgetting.  I've got some quiet time at work right now though.

A couple weeks ago there was a sizable update to the game.  They added a few more maps and 2 new perk classes.  There was also a bit of reworking of existing classes.  The two new ones are the Firebug and the Demolitions.  As one would expect, the Demo class specializes in explosives.  He's good at dealing with crowds and does extra damage to fleshpounds but right now I feel that it's a pretty weak class.  Until you get to level 15, you're extremely vulnerable to Sirens.  Sirens emit a scream that can destroy many projectiles, including every single explosive weapon.  At level 15 you can pick a skill that lets you ignore the screams but until then you're at a serious disadvantage.  He's also mostly useless against bigger enemies and anything that gets close because his weapons don't arm until they're a certain distance away and all the weapons need to reload after a single shot.

The Firebug on the other hand is amazing.  He's a close range class without any sort of movement speed increases or damage resistance (apart from fire which only comes from one enemy) so it's kind of risky to play but his skills make him really strong if done correctly.  One skill lets you stumble enemies at point blank range which gives you some breathing room and another has a chance to make them explode if they're killed with a fire weapon.  The explosions damage other Zeds and can set off chain reactions, clearing out large groups in an instant.  He also has a second stumble mechanic that makes Zeds panic after being set on fire long enough.  You can single handedly take out a Scrake or even a Fleshpound if you're careful.

I still play this game fairly regularly.  I wouldn't mind some company though.  Oh, and if anyone is worried about their experience being reset once the game is released, Tripwire has stated that this won't happen.  Your levels earned while the game is in early access will stay.

I haven't played since it first hit early access. We have one friend in our crew that's Killing Floor nuts, but he's on the path to getting married so he hasn't been on much.

I've been meaning to update this thread.  While I'm largely preoccupied taking care of a baby, I've also been getting back into KF2.  It's been a while since I last played and there's been a LOT of changes since then.  3 new classes, a bunch of maps, a new boss, a lot of tweaks, and a reworking of perks.  There's far too much to go into but overall the game feels more balanced and nuanced than before (although it seems like the Firebug got nerfed into oblivion).  I think the game's official release is a couple months away now so it seems to be nearing it's final state.  Anyone still playing?

My one friend that was really into KF also had a baby, so it hasn't really been on my radar much.

KF2 is out of early access and has officially been released today for PC and PS4. 

There are a total of 10 perks, a number of official maps, a VS mode, and more content promised down the road.  I've been playing on and off since it entered early access and have hit the max level for almost every perk.  If anyone on PC wants to get into it, I'll be glad to show them the ropes.

I realize I'm probably the only person who cares about this game but I'm gonna talk about it anyway.

There have been a number of recent updates to the game including a new crossperk system that lets certain weapons apply to multiple classes if they fit that class's theme (for example the Support perk's benefits now apply to the Medic shotgun) adding a lot more flexibility.  A new variation on the survival game type was also added called Holdout.  Rather than have a single large, static map Holdout mode uses a series of interconnected rooms that randomly change every wave.  Currently there's only one map for it but I expect more to come from the community if not TWI.

And all these updates are free.  The developers are currently not planning to charge for any future updates or content apart from cosmetic stuff via the in-game store.

If anyone is at all interested in trying the game out I'm happy to help (on PC).

This game was part of this month's Humble Monthly and it's great!  If anyone wants to team up, please let me know.

After being away for a long time I've started getting back into KF2.  There have been some major changes since I last played so it's almost like a new game.  The meta is completely different and I'm having to learn everything all over again.  They added the ability to prestige so I've reset all my perks and I'm a scrub again.  It kind of feels great.  I'm not sure how long I'll be sticking with it but if anyone wants to play I wouldn't mind some company.