Sign in to follow this  
sclpls

The Curious Expedition

Anyone else playing this? It's in alpha, but very fun already, and seems very much like a "Thumbs game". It's a roguelike 19th century exploration simulation where your game usually ends because of cannibalism or getting eaten by a tiger. It's got nice pixel graphics, and has a bit of a FTL quality to it only with a greater emphasis on exploration and survival, and much less focus on combat. Highly recommended!

I think the game ends after 6 expeditions, but I've never made it farther than 4.

I recently did a stream of this on twitch that you can watch here:

http://www.twitch.tv/sclpls/b/648853997

There are a few sections where there were some kinda long lulls while I talked to my chat so I apologize for those, but hopefully this video conveys some of what is cool about the game.

I've played it multiple times during the various promotions. I really like the direction they're going, but I probably won't buy it in Early Access because it still lacked a lot of design polish, in my opinion. I was also finding the difficulty to be enormous and, given that there's no saving, prone to heightened frustration (accidentally click wrongly or, god forbid, close the tab). But I never felt so much joy in exploration, I think.

Furthest expedition I'd made was 5th. With Ada Lovelace. Which brings me to my favourite little anecdote about the devs and this game: The fact that they did a 48h fem jam to research and implement enough female explorers to even out the gender balance. Awesome little thing that can teach one a lot about important scientists one didn't know.

For what it's worth, some of your information is out of date. There is a save system in place (although you can only save between expeditions unfortunately), and most of the actions in the game require clicking something a second time to confirm the action so the risk of misclicking is minimal.

The game certainly is difficult, however what I actually wonder is if it is difficult enough. I've already made it to the 6th expedition at this point, and I think barring a couple of boneheaded moves I made at the end I think I probably had a reals hot of completing that. So the point from the game being incomprehensibly difficult to more or less solved is maybe a shorter journey compared to games like Spelunky and FTL.

Thanks for the corrections. I wasn't aware of that.

I agree about the difficulty probably lowering a lot after the initial phase. For example, I just figured out how to use caves in the last days before my last death. But this is really something I like very much about the game so far - it's (or at least was) often times not really discernable what things are doing and exploration is everything.

This game is now available on Steam. Seems like there have been some good balance changes to it since I last played.