But they never go to Namek in that timeline (but somehow still defeat Frieza!).

I read something at one point that theorized that Frieza came to Earth because of Vegeta, and that's how they end up fighting him.

But they never go to Namek in that timeline (but somehow still defeat Frieza!).

I read something at one point that theorized that Frieza came to Earth because of Vegeta, and that's how they end up fighting him.

Maybe cause Frieza goes to Earth instead because Piccolo is still alive and he caught wind of Earth's dragon balls from eaves dropping on Vegeta.

Okay, I think it's time for me to stop now.

Yeah that probably had something to do with it!

Okay, I think it's time for me to stop now.

WHY HAVE YOU NOT COME ONTO OUR PODCAST

I have more to say about how I'm beginning to find my critical distance from the Dragonball Z franchise annoying because it keeps me from engaging at all in conversations like these, but I'm a bit too drunk to put it out there properly.

yo what is this i just found an angelfire website where some dude has like shit that was never mentioned in the manga or anime, as far as i know

http://www.angelfire.com/anime/radditz/timeline.html

i'm on the dark side of the internet aren't i

Dive fully into the dark side and join me for unlicensed asian live action Dragonball BOOKS from my childhood.

Korean_Dragon_Ball_1990_Film_Poster.PNG

I know it says movie poster but I read this as a book.

WHY HAVE YOU NOT COME ONTO OUR PODCAST

I have more to say about how I'm beginning to find my critical distance from the Dragonball Z franchise annoying because it keeps me from engaging at all in conversations like these, but I'm a bit too drunk to put it out there properly.

Maybe I'll try to join you guys on one of your next episodes assuming my setup is good enough for me to not sound like crap. I've been leery of trying to commit up to this point because my house can get rather noisy with the kids and everything. But if it's late enough at night (after 9:30ish my time) I could probably make it work.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure I recall you ever saying much of anything about DBZ here or on the podcast. I'd be curious to hear your take on the franchise.

Against my better judgment, I'm going drag out our little Dragon Ball Z discussion just a tad (lot) bit further.

As I was driving home last night, I was thinking about that movie/show timeline graphic (yes, pathetic, I know) and I think I've come to the conclusion that it is kind of bullshit and just doesn't work for several reasons. First, as Twig already mentioned, they apparently never go to Namek in the alternate timeline because Goku shows up in time to defeat the Saiyans before Piccolo or anyone else is killed. After this (according to that timeline), World's Strongest, Tree of Might, and Lord Slug all happen, followed by them somehow defeating Frieza even though there would have been no reason for them to go to Namek. Maybe Frieza came to Earth instead, or maybe they had some reason to head to Namek after all that anyways. Who knows.

But I think what really casts suspicion onto the validity of either of those options is that in Cooler's Revenge, Cooler has his own little version of the Ginyu Force that they fight throughout the movie. I think the existence of Cooler's Armored Squadron implies that even in that timeline, they had fought Frieza's Ginyu Force before defeating Frieza. So in this alternate movie timeline, not only would there have had to have been some explanation for how and where they fought Frieza, but there would also have to be some justification for how and why they would have come across the Ginyu Force. They only ever showed up in the main series because Frieza needed some new scouters after the Namekians had destroyed the last of theirs.

I think the final nail in the coffin though is Vegeta. There were a very specific set of circumstances that caused Gohan and Krillin to team up with Vegeta on Namek to begin with. Now, with that having never happened in the alternate timeline, there would have to be some other reason for them to have teamed up with him or ever even seen him again for that matter. And to make it even worse, he has the ability to go Super Saiyan in The Return of Cooler which implies that not only did he somehow still manage to come back and team up with the good guys, but he even went through his training and eventually attained Super Saiyan status. The only problem with that though is that in the main series, he gets a chance to see Goku fighting Frieza as a Super Saiyan and is then further tormented when he sees Super Saiyan Trunks show up a little while later. It was only when he saw that both of them were Super Saiyan that he really went nuts with his training and finally attained it himself. But in this alternate timeline he wasn't around when Goku transformed to defeat Cooler for the first time and the Trunks stuff never happened up to The Return of Cooler.

So for this timeline to work, they would have somehow had to have still faced the Ginyu force, somehow had to have still defeated Frieza, somehow had to have still teamed up with Vegeta, and Vegeta would somehow had to have attained Super Saiyan status (oh yeah, and Goku would have still had to have somehow ended up on Yardrat and learned the Instant Transmission technique since he uses it in The Return of Cooler). There's just too many holes. Trying to tie these movies into any kind of alternate timeline that still somehow hits the major points of the main timeline just doesn't work.

The only possible way out of some of this is if King Kai's ability to use the Instant Transmission technique somehow came into play. In the main series, when Goku teleports to King Kai's place to try to find New Namek in search of a new guardian, King Kai recognizes the technique and admits to Goku that he could have taught him that move. So maybe all of this stuff could somehow work if they used King Kai's instant transmission right after the fight with the Saiyans to go all over Namek getting the dragon balls and avoiding Frieza. Then they revived their friends, teleport back to Earth and face the events of World's Strongest, Tree of Might, and Lord Slug, then go back to Namek to defeat Frieza who is probably just waiting for that 120 days for the dragon balls to come back. While Goku defeats Frieza the rest of the Z fighters and Vegeta finish off the Ginyu Force who maybe ended up showing up to keep Frieza company while he was just sitting around waiting. Then all of them except Vegeta teleport back to Earth and the events in Cooler's Revenge happens. After this, Goku had been teleported around by King Kai enough that he figures out how to do the Instant Transmission technique. Then Vegeta shows up again because he's bored and wants to be around the good guys since they will always pose a good challenge. He is driven mad by Goku's skill and finds his way to Super Saiyan. And then the events of The Return of Cooler happen.

Basically, it's Friday, there's not a lot going on at work right now, and I'm just sitting here daydreaming about Dragon Ball Z. I hope you enjoy my long wall of absolutely ridiculous bullshit.

Just a reminder that the recording for The garden of words is this weekend! Register your interest here

This was mostly an excuse to post this picture that I found on r/funny though:

rfU5N6K.jpg

Hello friends! Latest episode is finally edited and released and everything! It's about moon dogs.

Here it is: http://www.keyframespodcast.com/podcast-download/7/03-its-a-doc-eat-dog-world-dallos.mp3?ref=download

Also here's our brand new (really basic, in desperate need of anything good) website: http://www.keyframespodcast.com/

It was mostly created so that 1) we had a place to upload and 2) we could provide an RSS feed, like so: http://www.keyframespodcast.com/podcast/feed/

Welcome to the moon. The moon is hell. Also there are dogs. Moon dogs. And Doc. He's not a dog. ...Iiiis he? Anime is funny like that!

Starring:
Ben (sometimes Gormongous)
Andy (sometimes NinjaSquirrel)
Duncan (sometimes Codicier)
Jon (sometimes Twig)

Spotlight:
Dallos (1:12:02)

We also answer a reader mail in this episode. O: (email us at: [email protected] --  or tweet us at: @keyframespod)

We've got another 'cast in the queue (featuring someone new, hurray (spoilers: it's Zeus)), so that's probably worth looking forward to?!?

Regarding Vegeta's mustache. I never watched more than a couple episodes of Dragon Ball GT so I was never fortunate enough to witness the mustache for myself. But I really hope that he went super saiyan at least once while he had the mustache. Even better, I hope it was one of those slow transformations where his mustache started twitching and glowing and turned gold before the rest of his hair.

On Saiyan hair, the only thing that is ever mentioned is a throwaway line from Vegeta that Saiyan hair never grows any longer from the moment they are born. I think this basically implies that even if they got a haircut or shaved their heads, they would never grow that hair back.

So the mustache is a great Dragon Ball Mystery. My guess is that it is honey + cat hair. 

now that we have two episodes in the editing queue (our primary editor is super busy! and the rest of us don't know how, though we're trying to learn and find time to learn and etc)... it's time to record a THIRD!!!!!!!!!!!

Spotlight for this episode is: Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal

http://doodle.com/poll/5k8r75735nhdun7a

Sorry I forgot to post this in the thread right away. Completely slipped my mind.

it's a new ova from a couple of years back of i believe the kyoto arc? I'm not too knowledgeable of RK tbh. 

In short, no, I don't think you'll have watched it, but it'll be interesting to hear your opinion of it, having watched/read the original series. :)

I believe it's a prequel. Been a while since I watched it (I'll be watching again later it this week).

what is rurouni kenshin: trust and betrayal and am i likely to have watched it when i went through that rurouni kenshin phase 15 years ago or whatever

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal is a four-part OVA prequel to the TV series that covers Kenshin's training, his work as an assassin during the revolution, and his decision to swear off killing. I'm personally more fond of the other OVA that it was often sold alongside, Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection, which is the "end" that the TV series never had, but Trust & Betrayal is a stronger and more effective work overall.

The recent "New Kyoto Arc" OVAs are a different thing and, while not a disaster, are severely hampered by budget and time constraints, and are definitely inferior to the twenty-year-old TV series' treatment.

what is rurouni kenshin: trust and betrayal and am i likely to have watched it when i went through that rurouni kenshin phase 15 years ago or whatever

If you had watched it you would know

Kuroni Kenshi (TV)

0d8340d32a91ed528533a13c24a51de313505833

Trust & Betrayal (OVA)

post-24580-0-06603700-1443648043_thumb.jpg

Hey! We're gonna try to catch up on our editing backlog and also be better about regularly releasing!

Here's my first attempt at editing! codi did most of the work, I just cleaned up. It's an effort to learn so one guy doesn't bear all the responsibility!

http://www.keyframespodcast.com/podcast/04-taste-the-rain-the-garden-of-words/

(direct download link)

Episode 04 of the Key Frames podcast, a podcast about anime. Ben, Andy, Jon, and Sean are plagued by nightmares of success as they discuss Shinkai Makoto, a writer and director whose works might just happen to always be better on second viewing...

Starring:
Ben (sometimes Gormongous)
Andy (sometimes NinjaSquirrel)
Jon (sometimes Twig)
Seth (sometimes Zeus)

Spotlight:
The Garden of Words (1:00:22)

Discussed:
Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma (2:05)
Monster Musume (6:14)
Prison School (13:40)
Dragon Ball Super (19:55)
Rokka no Yuusha (25:25)
Kill la Kill (30:38)
Gurren Lagann (31:55)
Clannad (40:42)
anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (54:35)
His and Her Circumstances (56:46)

hey looks like no one checks this thread anymore...

TOO BAD!

EDIT: I FUCKED UP!!!!

We're doing FLCL next. If you wanna join sign up. Everyone loves FLCL apparently soooooo, yeah. We'll have to figure something out.

(episode 5 will be edited tonight and posted soon after)

I messed up on the poll! I'll have to redo it when I get home, which is in like fifteen minutes.

Forgot to enable time zones...

EDIT: I FUCKED UP (AGAIN)

this should be it?!

so redo your stuff gaizo, it might be less easy for you to say yes with these correct times...

(just to be sure, the time zone did change for you, right? was it central? aka was your first option 6-9pm?)

It says "The poll was created with the following time zone: Central Time."  But mine is Eastern so my first option was 7:00 to 10:00PM which seems like the correct conversion?

Edit: got overexciting about FLCL, so I'm editing the time to be more 'realistic' (damn reality)